Coyoty on September 15, 2019, 05:49:05 am
Arbiter Samuel Sandini is clearly Sammy Davis, Jr., from Laugh-In:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJOdLZaKE0

Um, Laugh-In is the least of his credits.

I thought it was him and looked for pictures of the rest of the Rat Pack, but the other arbiters don't look like them.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 16, 2019, 10:08:57 am
El Jefe's video link does show the specific character he was playing which this character is based on. 

Good catch!

Apparently this is where "Here comes the Judge" comes from?

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/here-comes-the-judge-timeline/

Sean Roach on September 16, 2019, 10:18:15 am
I suppose they're likely all comedic takes on judges. Would the one on the viewers left be Harry Anderson from Night Court?

Skull the Troll on November 18, 2019, 12:48:54 pm
Strip 2022 mentions Transparent Aluminum from Star Trek 4. My mother worked in the building where they shot it in Santa Ana and she saw Lenard Nimoy.

Coyoty on November 19, 2019, 04:28:46 am
Strip 2022 mentions Transparent Aluminum from Star Trek 4. My mother worked in the building where they shot it in Santa Ana and she saw Lenard Nimoy.

Transparent aluminum has been a real thing for ten years, and was already under development when ST4 came out.  Aluminum oxynitride is the current material, but there are probably others in development.

To be really science fictiony, you could say the bubbles are made from General Products materials.

Skull the Troll on November 20, 2019, 01:49:42 pm

Transparent aluminum has been a real thing for ten years, and was already under development when ST4 came out.  Aluminum oxynitride is the current material, but there are probably others in development.

To be really science fictiony, you could say the bubbles are made from General Products materials.

Neat to know. I'm still betting its a Star Trek reference tho. :)

Coyoty on November 21, 2019, 03:59:10 am
I just learned that corundum is a naturally occurring transparent aluminum oxide, but since it forms crystals, I doubt it can be made into anything other than gemstones, and the cost is prohibitive.

Sean Roach on November 21, 2019, 09:33:44 am
I just learned that corundum is a naturally occurring transparent aluminum oxide, but since it forms crystals, I doubt it can be made into anything other than gemstones, and the cost is prohibitive.

So, what you're saying is we need Sapphire Glass.
No, I don't know if it would work.