lee n. field on February 14, 2017, 10:15:49 am
Well in strip 1530 we have QV's versions of Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and the Borg.

The Cush look "borg-like", I agree.

Edit: I'm going to wait for color, but the Cush look like a Borg/Cyberman/Dalek mix, (the last two from Dr. Who.)

The K'tangn seem to be a portmanteau of Star Trek's Klingons and Larry Niven's Kzinti.

Cush == Borg?  Even the name Cush is a simple transform from Borg.  Next letter, next vowel, next letter, next letter.

Apollo-Soyuz on February 22, 2017, 05:59:34 am
Strip 1538 First Seen: Wed 2017-02-22

Note a tiny little micro homage to Firefly in the page text:

>Hugo (thought): How in the 'Verse did those farts get through our shields?

Strip 1536 - First Seen: Mon 2017-02-20

The beam is a "tractor beam", another common Star Trek homage (actually coined in 1931 by E. E. Smith)

Strip 1413 - First Seen: Mon 2016-08-22

By the way, for this entire arc, it's worth noting that " manic pixie dream girl" is a stock character.

Quinlan73 on April 08, 2017, 08:09:39 am
Strip 1569-1st panel: A QV take on a Romulan D'deridex class warbird if I ever saw one. Could these been the Soraxians? (see strip 1530)

Apollo-Soyuz on July 14, 2017, 07:00:32 am
page=1636, panel 6

Aboard the Cush's Pentakis Dodecahedron (homage to Star Trek's Borg Cube),

in the middle of a bunch of Cush Zombies (portmanteau of Borg and Dr. Who's Daleks),

We discover the face of first generation Farnsworth (Seamus >> Hugh Galveston >> Hugo Galvéz)  Who looks a lot like the first Doctor.

Compare the first post in this thread, and also page=945 panel 4

Apollo-Soyuz on July 16, 2017, 02:29:34 pm
page=1635

Hugo: Uh, hello, I'm Doctor Galvéz.
Hugo: And this is my companion, Captain Murphy.
Murphy turns to complain to Hugo as the zombies close to arm's reach.
Murphy: 'My companion, Captain Murphy'?
Murphy: What the hell kind of silly-assed introduction is that?

--
I haven't seen too much of the new series, but I'm pretty sure they are openly calling them "companions" now in the new Dr. Who.

Coyoty on July 18, 2017, 02:56:37 am
They appear to have found a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Redwood Elf on July 18, 2017, 07:57:20 am
They appear to have found a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
They must be cautious.

Apollo-Soyuz on July 18, 2017, 09:24:46 pm
page=1608

Ralf: Well, I'll be a chmee's uncle.

Speaker-to-Animals in Larry Niven's Ringworld series is also named "Chmeee"

Since I'm on the topic, Ralf is starting to look more like Worf, son of Mogh (Star Trek)

Apollo-Soyuz on July 21, 2017, 10:27:29 am
http://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=1641

Ralf: But you, you're unique. The only 'hyooman' anyone's seen in this galaxy.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hyooman

Derogatory for "human". Used by furries who take themselves too seriously and forget that they themselves are humans.
"Why do hyoomans always have to be fursecuting us?"

(note: Transcript differs from speech bubble in strip.)

Skull the Troll on July 21, 2017, 12:25:43 pm

Derogatory for "human". Used by furries who take themselves too seriously and forget that they themselves are humans.

Its also a nice little reference to the fact that the universal translator always works perfectly except for how to pronounce "human."

Scott on July 25, 2017, 09:12:52 am

Its also a nice little reference to the fact that the universal translator always works perfectly except for how to pronounce "human."

It could be a nod to the Ferengi pronunciation.

Or, it could be that there is no word for "human" in the K'Tagon language and this was simply Ralf's best attempt at pronouncing the Portanglish word.

DrakBibliophile on July 25, 2017, 03:54:08 pm
In one of Jack Chalker's series, there was a "comment" that the vast majority of "species names" would translate as "people" or "humans".

Of course, there was also a comment that many of names for species' homeworld would translate as "Earth" (ie our world).

In that Chalker story-universe the species names and homeworld names were never translated into the "common language" used by the various species but the species/homeworld names were untranslated names from a major language of the species.

Or, it could be that there is no word for "human" in the K'Tagon language and this was simply Ralf's best attempt at pronouncing the Portanglish word.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

Redwood Elf on July 25, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
In one of Jack Chalker's series, there was a "comment" that the vast majority of "species names" would translate as "people" or "humans".

Of course, there was also a comment that many of names for species' homeworld would translate as "Earth" (ie our world).

In that Chalker story-universe the species names and homeworld names were never translated into the "common language" used by the various species but the species/homeworld names were untranslated names from a major language of the species.

Also occurs in a similar way in the Foglio/Pollotta novel "Illegal Aliens" where aliens arrive on Earth and call it the planet "Dirt"

Lexxus on August 04, 2017, 02:48:59 am
page=1637

Pretty sure 'kalikam' is the Klingon unit of distance, ref: Star Trek III

jmsr7 on August 04, 2017, 11:21:00 pm
Well in strip 1530 we have QV's versions of Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and the Borg.

The Cush look "borg-like", I agree.

Edit: I'm going to wait for color, but the Cush look like a Borg/Cyberman/Dalek mix, (the last two from Dr. Who.)

The K'tangn seem to be a portmanteau of Star Trek's Klingons and Larry Niven's Kzinti.

Cush == Borg?  Even the name Cush is a simple transform from Borg.  Next letter, next vowel, next letter, next letter.

LOL i DID NOT SEE THAT, i was wondering how Scott came up with CUSH as their name.

Also, i noticed that Ralf looks like a cross between the Klingons and the Kzinti too.  Good choice for a 'Cat'-man.