DrakBibliophile on October 02, 2019, 11:33:36 am
https://www.quantumvibe.com/strip?page=2005

Man alive, this Miller seems a little dumb.

I don't know what he thought he was pulling by putting Zander in the witness box, but Zander's testimony is going to hurt his clients.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

lurkergao on October 02, 2019, 01:47:54 pm
He's not got a lot to work with. He was probably hoping xander would lie and say he had nothing to do with it. How exactly are these arbiters detecting falsehood? Rpld is going to have it blow up in their face but xander is also screwed over here.

DrakBibliophile on October 02, 2019, 03:10:36 pm
Zander is screwed over to a degree but I'd say that it's worse for Smith & Holder.

Zander might owe Smith & Holder money for the hacking, but he was friends who'd help him pay it and I strongly suspect the "support the under-dog" factor would be in his favor (especially additional monetary support).

Smith & Holder is likely to lose business especially with people like Sergio Cooper publically leaving S&H.

He's not got a lot to work with. He was probably hoping xander would lie and say he had nothing to do with it. How exactly are these arbiters detecting falsehood? Rpld is going to have it blow up in their face but xander is also screwed over here.

lurkergao on October 03, 2019, 04:08:44 pm
Xander might get reimbursed but he also might be banned from accessing computer devices or have to wear the future version of a datajack ankle bracelet to ensure he doesnt go hacking again. This society must have some deterents against this or otherwise xander wouldnt be so nervous.

DrakBibliophile on October 03, 2019, 09:19:24 pm
I'm not so sure about those punishments being available in Oz for this sort of situation.

Those seem more in tune with what a government might hand out rather than what Oz Arbitators might hand out in this sort of situation.

My suspecion is that getting into "secure" data banks is a minor offense compared to using stolen data against the owners of the data banks or against the individuals referred to in the data.

What would be harshly punished is "corrupting data" and/or "destroying data systems".

Zander is nervous but his nervousness may be for other reasons than about being severely punished.

Heck, he might just be nervous about being seen by everybody watching the trial.

Xander might get reimbursed but he also might be banned from accessing computer devices or have to wear the future version of a datajack ankle bracelet to ensure he doesnt go hacking again. This society must have some deterents against this or otherwise xander wouldnt be so nervous.

Sean Roach on October 03, 2019, 10:17:05 pm
My understanding is, he's concerned about what amounts to his credit score taking a hit.
Yes, those who he hacked can go through arbitration to demand monetary compensation, but he would probably not have to pay that out of pocket, since those in whose service he did these things would be both willing and able to cover this cost.
Instead, he could find himself in the situation where no-one wants to hire him, or rent to him, or if they do, he gets paid less or pays more for the same service, because he has a reputation as a notorious hacker.

DrakBibliophile on October 04, 2019, 06:36:46 am
On the other hand, judging by her expression, he may also be concerned about Ginger's reaction.  ;)

My understanding is, he's concerned about what amounts to his credit score taking a hit.
Yes, those who he hacked can go through arbitration to demand monetary compensation, but he would probably not have to pay that out of pocket, since those in whose service he did these things would be both willing and able to cover this cost.
Instead, he could find himself in the situation where no-one wants to hire him, or rent to him, or if they do, he gets paid less or pays more for the same service, because he has a reputation as a notorious hacker.

Apollo-Soyuz on October 04, 2019, 02:00:47 pm
And his girlfriend is mad as hell too. I'm assuming Ginger Cinamomo is pissed because she didn't know about the break-in, and it puts their business (page=1882) they're in together in jeopardy.

I assume Abraham Miller had a pretty good idea that perhaps Zander was behind this. If they (or S&H) had looked into Diana's background they would have surely found out about Zander, and knew about his public reputation.

I'm surprised he does not appear to have a right to council, especially being dragged in as a surprise witness to everyone including himself.   

anything