Dejv on May 04, 2006, 11:45:08 pm
Does "Aunt Bettie" ("Wild" Bill Bear's wife) have a well-known analog in our world?

Part of the fun for me in reading L. Neil Smith's novels is trying to find the correspondences between his alternate histories and our world.  I remember laughing out loud when I realized that the name of the sadistic "Edna Janof" In "The Nagasaki Vector," for example, was an anagram for "Jane Fonda."  (I'm probably unusual in that the Nagasaki Vector was the first book by Smith that I read.  I read the other ones later). 

In Roswell, there are many such links.  The three Texas Rangers Wild Bill sets out with are, of course, Meir Kahane, Malcolm Little (known to us as Malcolm X), and "J.B." (know to us as "George Lincoln") Rockwell.

And the pilot who first encountered the alien flying saucer was none other than Lt. Gene Roddenberry, flying an aircraft with the call letter TAM-1701. (For the non-trekkers in the audience, Gene Roddenberry was the creative mind behind "Star Trek", and the call letters of the fictional starship Enterprise were NCC-1701D).

I realize, of course, that not every character has an doppelganger in our universe.  But I have a nagging feeling that I'm missing something about "Aunt Bettie."  Any thoughts? 

Molon Labe,

Dave Schmidt

Frank B. on May 05, 2006, 08:53:45 am
I'll give you a hint, in our universe she was born "Bettie Mae". After she started her professional career she went by "Betty".

Scott on May 05, 2006, 02:14:45 pm
Actually, "Aunt Bettie" was partly inspired by the person Frank is thinking of, but for legal reasons she is not actually a cross-universe analog. Actually, she is inspired mostly by two women, with just a bit of a third.

Dejv on May 06, 2006, 05:09:30 am
I'll give you a hint, in our universe she was born "Bettie Mae". After she started her professional career she went by "Betty".

Ah.  Thanks for the hint. I actually had a hunch that's who might be the inspiration for the character.

I just read the second installment last night, and really enjoyed it.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of the story and art in the coming pages.

I also turned my girlfriend on to the comic, and the Big Head Press site.  She was wondering what was keeping me tied to the computer last night!

Molon Labe,

Dave Schmidt

Roberta X on May 08, 2006, 01:55:08 am
Soothly, one of the inspirations for Aunt Bettie went by as many variations of her name as those who published photos of her chose to use, while she quite happily cashed their checks.  Photographs of her prior to the time she adopted the trademark hairstyle were even published later under a different first name, as her "cousin!"  ...Bear in mind we're talking about a pinup model who used a professional age ten years younger than her actual age and got away with it.  (Aunt Bettie says, "It pays to work out!")

That's show biz.  I was happy to see her in yet another L. Neil Smith alternate universe.  Bettie's one of my heroines.

I can't wait to see who else will show up!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:27:01 am by Roberta X »
By 1913, it was too late.

mal on May 11, 2006, 01:06:43 am
Woe be unto him who reveals the fnords.  Let them figure it out for themselves!

Mal the Younger

Roberta X on May 11, 2006, 09:33:06 am
fnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnfnordfnordfnord fnord fnordfnordfnord fnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnfnordfnordfnordordfnordfnordfnord What "fnords?"  There's no such thing.  Merely varying degrees of Tuckerization!  fnordfnordfnord fnordfnord fnord fnordfnordfnordfnord fnordfnordfnord fnordfnordfnordfnordfnord fnfnordfnordfnordordfnordfnord fnord

PS: one of the "Aunt Bettie" analogs in our world is 5' 3" -- on tiptoe.  Artistic incarnations building on her image seem to be closer to modern model height: she'd look elfin otherwise!  Not only does it help the art look balanced, it disappoints the legal vultures. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 09:36:52 am by Roberta X »

Oz The Great & Powerful on May 11, 2006, 09:50:59 am
What are you talking about?  I use to drive a fnord to church on friday's while eating
hot dog buns.  I'm a pope.  I can do these things.   :-*

Roberta X on May 11, 2006, 04:45:16 pm
Does driving one of that-which-is-perceived-but-never-seen to religious service count as "revealing" it and if so, did the woe come wafting in on the tide as a result?

And would Aunt Bettie have driven a fnord?  Y'know, I don't think she's ever learned to drive.

Dad-rat it, where's that next thrillin' installment?

Oz The Great & Powerful on May 11, 2006, 11:15:40 pm
In a mere 45 minutes my child.

Zen Redneck on May 22, 2006, 11:55:14 am
Aunt Bettie is one thing, but who's the guy in the black Packard?  Hm?

Scott on June 08, 2006, 01:17:24 pm
The guy in the black Packard is someone very famous (or infamous) in our world, but a complete unknown in the Federated States world. You'll get a better look at him in a couple of weeks.

Mike Mordant on July 08, 2006, 01:49:30 pm
The guy in the black Packard is someone very famous (or infamous) in our world, but a complete unknown in the Federated States world. You'll get a better look at him in a couple of weeks.

Does this week's episode reveal that it's

"Jimmy Mason" ?

Mike Mordant on July 14, 2006, 07:10:00 pm
Well I was fooled.   :-[

The man in the Packard look's like a certain Mr. Johnson to me.   

???

Frank B. on July 16, 2006, 05:07:02 pm
Well I was fooled.   :-[

The man in the Packard look's like a certain Mr. Johnson to me.   

And bingo was his namo.  Years ago, Scott drew a one page cartoon of how an old mutual friend of ours,
"Crazy" Carl Hickerson-Bull killed LBJ.  It was a hoot.  I wonder if he still has a copy of it.

anything