kona_boy on April 13, 2007, 04:45:42 pm
Maybe Japan was more likely to follow the western ideal of individualism if in the fantasy timeline the 1587 Jesuit "revolt" had actually worked and created a more "West friendly" society that slowly over time creeped more into the japanese philosophy.

You'd have to admit it would be a cool deal to slide that in to also give more backstory to the current exiled Catholic Church in Brownsville who have been a little silent in the timeline as of late.  ;)

Zen Redneck on April 13, 2007, 08:35:28 pm
That last is a good idea, but frankly, in the original backstory, the difference is that Japan was 'opened' by Texas instead of the US, and that the Japanese (including the Emperor) were struck by the fact that the Texans that came, including the common sailors, were all armed and behaved and were treated by each other as samurai. They referred to Texas as 'a nation of samurai,' and the general reaction was that if all Texans could be like that, then all Japanese could be also. That's about as deep as my thinking went. Anyhow, this led to the heir to the throne and other noble japanese going to Texas for education.

It's been discussed that currently (2007) in that timeline, the heir to the throne will marry a Lindbergh the first lindbergh's great-granddaughter, and this will be a part of the eventual union of the two countries.

Rocketman on April 13, 2007, 11:16:24 pm
Zen, from time to time I've read here statements like the Lindbergh Japanese connection that I don't know where they came from.  Where are you getting this information?   ??? ???

Zen Redneck on April 14, 2007, 08:35:25 am
Zen, from time to time I've read here statements like the Lindbergh Japanese connection that I don't know where they came from. Where are you getting this information? ??? ???

Oh, I thought everybody knew.  I'm one of the writers, Rex May.

wdg3rd on April 14, 2007, 10:38:58 am

And all of us who buy dirty magazines "just for the articles" know him better as Baloo.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

jayphailey on April 14, 2007, 11:51:14 am
> That last is a good idea, but frankly, in the original backstory, the difference is that
>  Japan was 'opened' by Texas instead of the US, and that the Japanese (including
>  the Emperor) were struck by the fact that the Texans that came, including the
> common sailors, were all armed and behaved and were treated by each other as
> samurai. They referred to Texas as 'a nation of samurai,' and the general reaction
>  was that if all Texans could be like that, then all Japanese could be also.

I think you're being vastly optimistic about the reaction of a feudal type of power structure to the notion of all the peasants running around with guns.

Japan acquired black powder weapons in the 1600's and after a very quick development outlawed them because a rifle makes it possible for a peasant to take down a Samurai. Guns and othr weapons were illegal for peasants to own until Dewey's arrival.

I do NOT see a peaceful transition to Texican ways as being very likely there.

be nice to see a successful rebellion against the Samurai order though

Jay ~Meow!~

Zen Redneck on April 14, 2007, 12:38:58 pm
Oh, I thought everybody knew. I'm one of the writers, Rex May.

And all of us who buy dirty magazines "just for the articles" know him better as Baloo.

It's a dirty business, but somebody's got to do it.

Rocketman on April 14, 2007, 08:26:37 pm
Zen Redneck:  I remember seeing your cartoons from time to time in gun magazines or am I thinking of Ted Robins?  I'm not sure.

Zen Redneck on April 14, 2007, 08:28:49 pm
Zen Redneck: I remember seeing your cartoons from time to time in gun magazines or am I thinking of Ted Robins? I'm not sure.

I don't remember selling to any.  Maybe an agent sold some there.  Guide to me here:
http://homepage.mac.com/rmay/BUSINESS.html

Rocketman on April 15, 2007, 01:27:13 pm
Maybe I'm thinking of "Reason" magizine.  I know I've seen your work in the past but I just can't remember where it was.   ???

Zen Redneck on April 15, 2007, 02:30:35 pm
Maybe I'm thinking of "Reason" magizine. I know I've seen your work in the past but I just can't remember where it was. ???

Probably _Liberty_ or _National Review_.

Rocketman on April 15, 2007, 05:22:26 pm
That has to be it.  I have from time to time picked up a copy of Liberty when I was still active in the Libertarian Party.

wdg3rd on April 15, 2007, 08:48:44 pm

It's a dirty business, but somebody's got to do it.

Yup.  And we're really glad you volunteered.  I can only take so much Tinsley at a time.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Zen Redneck on April 17, 2007, 12:52:15 pm
Tinsley's good when he's aimed left.

Rocketman on April 17, 2007, 09:08:06 pm
That's why I love "South Park" so much, even at my age.  Stone and Parker said that they dislike Republicans but they really dispise liberal democrats.  Judging from their treatment of Strisand and Reiner I'de say that it's well deserved.   8)