customdesigned on June 11, 2012, 06:47:02 am
It was the same IP address for all three alleged "hacks." Basically, this doof simply changed his screen name. There was no hacking involved.
I'm amazed that comparing IPs is so effective with this kind of behaviour.  It is so trivial to use web proxies (and essential for those behind the bamboo curtain).

Andreas on June 11, 2012, 03:19:34 pm
Yeah, but then, how much foresight can be expected of someone pulling that crap?
Really, that person was a huge Meh me, and generally tended to cause me to doubt my position where it fell close to it's position.
A total waste of effort.

Oh, and the troll is back under a new name. Same lack of content, down to the fifth decimal, so it will take a lot to convince me otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:22:50 pm by Andreas »

Frank B. on June 15, 2012, 06:23:11 pm
I'm behind on my forum monitoring and noticed this thread, and another thread about post deletions.  I've modified the permissions so that folks can no longer do that.  Not only that, once they post, they can no longer modify their own posts either.  I had thought this was the default behavior of the forum software, but it appears that's something you have to make explicit.

-- The Management.

myrkul999 on June 15, 2012, 06:34:38 pm
Aww.... At least leave in the edit feature. I sometimes go back and fix typos, and similar things.

dough560 on June 15, 2012, 06:57:48 pm
Agreed, the edit feature is nice and I'd like it retained, if doing so doesn't allow the previous stupidity.

Frank B. on June 15, 2012, 08:26:41 pm
Agreed, the edit feature is nice and I'd like it retained, if doing so doesn't allow the previous stupidity.

Therein lies the rub.  The idea is that once you say what you said.  It's out there, and shouldn't be unsaid.  At that point, all you can do is post an apology or other appropriate followup to the mistake (assuming follow up is really necessary).  I encourage members to use the "Preview" button just to the left of the "Post" button.  By rereading what you wrote, particularly via the Preview window pane, before you post, you should eliminate 99.9% of appropriate followups.  ;D

Frank B. on June 15, 2012, 08:27:58 pm

Therein lies the rub.  The idea is that once you say what you said.  It's out there, and shouldn't be unsaid.  At that point, all you can do is post an apology or other appropriate followup to the mistake (assuming follow up is really necessary).  I encourage members to use the "Preview" button just to the left of the "Post" button.  By rereading what you wrote, particularly via the Preview window pane, before you post, you should eliminate 99.9% of appropriate followups.  ;D

And of course, when I say to the left of the "Post" button, I really meant to the right.  ::)

myrkul999 on June 15, 2012, 08:42:35 pm
Well, I suppose if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me. I'll just have to accept my screw-ups in the future. ;)

dough560 on June 18, 2012, 08:22:52 am
Won't be the first time I've written a correction as a follow-up, pretty sure it won't be the last....

Andreas on June 18, 2012, 04:51:23 pm
Won't be the first time I've written a correction as a follow-up, pretty sure it won't be the last....

However, the edit feature is still there.
Either the final decision/implementation is still pending, or the settings implementation scripts are wonky.
The delete feature can and should definitely be taken off people's hands.

Wouldn't it be nice if edits/deletes were like on wikipedia, with indefinite roll-back and lock capabilities for admins. That would allow full freedom for normal use, and full freedom from abusive use.

But that's probably not a standard feature of most BBS code...