Jac on December 22, 2006, 10:09:02 am
Hmm... is it just me, or does the bartender in Roswell look a mite familiar? And how can Malcolm butcher a martini like that? And how does anyone in 1947 know what a Vodka martini is, anyway?

Zen Redneck on December 22, 2006, 02:05:36 pm
Vodka became trendy in the US, Texas, and California in 1921, with D.W. Griffith's movie, _Crime and Punishment_, starring Germanicus Booth (Grandson of John Wilkes Booth) as Raskolnikov, and Russian refugee Gregory Rasputin as Porfiry the Detective.  Rasputin upstaged the famous booth, and went on to star in four sequels as the slightly mad detective, appearing always with a half-empty bottle of vodka clutched in one hand while he dealt with various criminals and revolutionaries.   "Porfiry Investigates," a TV show based on the movies, was very popular in North America and Europe from 1972 to 1990, starring Fritz Leiber as Porfiry.

Jac on December 22, 2006, 02:23:55 pm
Well, I know they had vodka, but were they soiling martinis with the stuff back then? :)

Zen Redneck on December 22, 2006, 04:31:07 pm
I wouldn't know.  I'm a beer guy.  Well, maybe a rum and coke.

wdg3rd on December 22, 2006, 07:24:36 pm
Vodka became trendy in the US, Texas, and California in 1921, with D.W. Griffith's movie, _Crime and Punishment_, starring Germanicus Booth (Grandson of John Wilkes Booth) as Raskolnikov, and Russian refugee Gregory Rasputin as Porfiry the Detective.  Rasputin upstaged the famous booth, and went on to star in four sequels as the slightly mad detective, appearing always with a half-empty bottle of vodka clutched in one hand while he dealt with various criminals and revolutionaries.   "Porfiry Investigates," a TV show based on the movies, was very popular in North America and Europe from 1972 to 1990, starring Fritz Leiber as Porfiry.

I'd forgotten that Fritz was an occasional actor in his youth.  And yeah, the tall lanky build matches Rasputin's fairly well, sp would be believable playing the same character.  Can't compare their voices since I never heard Rasputin's, but Fritz had a very compelling voice when he turned it on.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

wdg3rd on December 22, 2006, 07:43:09 pm
Hmm... is it just me, or does the bartender in Roswell look a mite familiar? And how can Malcolm butcher a martini like that? And how does anyone in 1947 know what a Vodka martini is, anyway?

True, without gin it isn't really a martini, but nobody ever came up with a catchy name for a glass of vodka with a hint of vermouth.  (Far worse crimes against the word martini are committed every day in every yuppie bar in the [our time line -- the one with a Bush dynasty/dictatorship] United States).   By the way, stirred is always better than shaken, as the shaking causes more of the ice to melt, diluting the liquor.  Which is probably why James Bond (and Malcolm Little) ordered them that way -- when you never know when the next attack is coming, it's best not to get too drunk.

The bell in the final panel -- who's buying a round for the house?  I guess we have to wait for next week's thrilling episode.  I guess it's good to have an excuse to live through the week.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

E.J. Totty on December 23, 2006, 11:53:55 pm
Well, anyway, the storyline has been absolutely entertaining!

But then? Who would expect anything less from L.N. Smith and Rex F. May?  ;D
No man-made law has ever stopped anything from happening.
However, men, and women, with ideas of wanting to murder the human spirit, will think up every law they deem of as 'preventative', and connive endlessly, thereby turning everyone into a slave of the state, including their own children.

KiloSeven on March 09, 2007, 08:32:11 am
The latest plot twist is a hoot!

Absolutely LOVE this story, and recycling from THEIR MAJESTY'S BUCKETEERS is muy welcome!

BTW, if you have not read VARIABLE STAR, you'll see Spider Robinson's done the same kind of homage to The Admiral's stories.
--
"We're not living in a simulation. We're living in a collaborative SF novel... and now, of course, it's Philip K. Dick's turn.  In a back room somewhere, Vernor Vinge and George Orwell are currently arguing about who gets to take over in 2025." (Ross Smith)   K7AAY PDX OR USA TERRA

sehlat on March 09, 2007, 11:42:03 am
I thought I recognized the alien. We've clearly been laminated.  ;D

delphidb96 on March 09, 2007, 12:31:50 pm
Is it just me or has someone miscounted the number of talons scritching on the truck bed?  I'm counting three digits per 'hand', three 'hands' per arm and two arms on the ground.

Other than that, I'm *LOVING* it! ;D

Derek

Zen Redneck on March 09, 2007, 12:41:45 pm
Is it just me or has someone miscounted the number of talons scritching on the truck bed?  I'm counting three digits per 'hand', three 'hands' per arm and two arms on the ground.

Other than that, I'm *LOVING* it! ;D

Derek

Ye gads, I think you're right!  We have a dualistic speciesist bias manifesting!

Jac on March 09, 2007, 02:41:47 pm
I did not see that coming! :o :D

Sphynx on March 09, 2007, 03:11:21 pm
To: SEHLAT - Wouldn't that be Lamvinated (granted the pun does'nt traslate as well.)

To: Delphidb96 & Zen Redneck:  The lamvin are a tri-laterally symetrical species with tri-furcated limbs, therefore, yes there are 18 "talons" on the bed of the pickup.  Zen really it's a Bilateral Symetristic bias.  On the whole I love the rendition of this Lam (I wonder: He, She, or Rher?, by size I'd say male).  My one immediate issue with the artist is the placement of the eyes.  In "TMB", L.Neil clearly describes the symetry of the Lamvin.  In the second frame of the Lam pictured her, looking over his/her/rher carapace towards the humans, the distance between the front two eyes  and the rear one is greater than 120 degrees, while the first frame shows that the distance between those eyes is less than 120.

Enough nit picking: I'm really with Zen - YAHOO! Lamvin in TEJAS.

I wonder if a three fingered foot-hand could control the recoil of an upside down, long-slide Browning HP?

delphidb96 on March 09, 2007, 03:56:11 pm
NOT enough nit-picking!  If we can pick up on the talons and symmetry errors, so can an average 5th-grader!  (Do you really want to disappoint all the 5th-graders out there?  I thought not.)

;-)

But yes, other than those two minor nits, I'm very happy to see this new twist in the story.  I can't wait until Roswell, Texas gets released in trade paperback.  It and La Muse will snuggle quite well on my bookshelf right next to ADWC and TPB. ;-)

Derek

To: SEHLAT - Wouldn't that be Lamvinated (granted the pun does'nt traslate as well.)

To: Delphidb96 & Zen Redneck:  The lamvin are a tri-laterally symetrical species with tri-furcated limbs, therefore, yes there are 18 "talons" on the bed of the pickup.  Zen really it's a Bilateral Symetristic bias.  On the whole I love the rendition of this Lam (I wonder: He, She, or Rher?, by size I'd say male).  My one immediate issue with the artist is the placement of the eyes.  In "TMB", L.Neil clearly describes the symetry of the Lamvin.  In the second frame of the Lam pictured her, looking over his/her/rher carapace towards the humans, the distance between the front two eyes  and the rear one is greater than 120 degrees, while the first frame shows that the distance between those eyes is less than 120.

Enough nit picking: I'm really with Zen - YAHOO! Lamvin in TEJAS.

I wonder if a three fingered foot-hand could control the recoil of an upside down, long-slide Browning HP?

Sphynx on March 09, 2007, 10:56:12 pm
NOT enough nit-picking! If we can pick up on the talons and symmetry errors, so can an average 5th-grader! (Do you really want to disappoint all the 5th-graders out there? I thought not.)

;-)

But yes, other than those two minor nits, I'm very happy to see this new twist in the story. I can't wait until Roswell, Texas gets released in trade paperback. It and La Muse will snuggle quite well on my bookshelf right next to ADWC and TPB. ;-)

Derek

Delphidb96 [Derek?]: Are you comparing me to a 5th grader, pardnar!.....pause for effect.....Well, I guess its better than being compared to a Legislator or a Bureaucrat  :-[

Also: One would hope that any well home-schooled 8-10 year old would see some of that.

One question:  What the tanj is ADWC?  I've got TPM, and agree on La Muse (LM?) and Roswell.  Am I missing something?