delphidb96 on March 10, 2007, 11:49:16 am
Nope.  Not comparing you to a 5th-grader.  Although, given your response time and befuddled thinking, I'd give you the advice *NOT* to try out for that new game show, "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"  I envision your segment would not go well.  ;-) ;-) ;-)

(Okay, that was a *JOKE*, son.  A joke, I tell you! ;-)  And I'd not like to have to go up against that batch of 5th graders, myself.)

ADWC stands for A Drug War Carol.  If'n you don't have it, you should *get* it.

Derek

NOT enough nit-picking! If we can pick up on the talons and symmetry errors, so can an average 5th-grader! (Do you really want to disappoint all the 5th-graders out there? I thought not.)

;-)

But yes, other than those two minor nits, I'm very happy to see this new twist in the story. I can't wait until Roswell, Texas gets released in trade paperback. It and La Muse will snuggle quite well on my bookshelf right next to ADWC and TPB. ;-)

Derek

Delphidb96 [Derek?]: Are you comparing me to a 5th grader, pardnar!.....pause for effect.....Well, I guess its better than being compared to a Legislator or a Bureaucrat  :-[

Also: One would hope that any well home-schooled 8-10 year old would see some of that.

One question:  What the tanj is ADWC?  I've got TPM, and agree on La Muse (LM?) and Roswell.  Am I missing something?

Rocketman on March 10, 2007, 02:31:17 pm
That gives me an idea for a game show.  We get a Republican, a Democrat and a Libertarian in a "Jeopardy"
style format answering questions on the American Revolution, Constitutional questions and states rights.  Anyone want to take a guess at who would win? ;D

Sphynx on March 10, 2007, 07:49:14 pm
Rocketman:  The winner would be determined by who got to write the questions.  If the N.Y.NY/Hollyweird TV networks types did, then the democrat would be slated to win.  If the Corporate Sponsors like Procter & Gamble, Johnson&Johnson: Republican.

Even if an honest writer could be found, I've seen a lot of LINO types who talk big, and know almost as little as your typical House of Reps member about the history and meaning of the Revolution and the Civil War.

Nice idea though.  I can see it now: "insert catchy title here", brought to you by Remington, Federal, E.A.A., Taurus Firearms USA, and M.J. Growers Cooperative - Canada.

Moderator:  Welcome to tonights final round of "insert catchy title here".  Our top winner will take home an all expense paid trip to hunt each of the North American Big Game animals.  Think of it Walter, he's the side kick Easter Whitetail with in a few miles of the White House are destroying precious park lands from the restrictions on hunting, now we have a package that lets our winner help with the effort to bring those herd back to healthy, profitable, and managable size.  The he or she jets off to The Rockies for a Mountain Lion hunt.  Next, its off to Alaska for Polar Bear, ...you get the idea

I can just see the Democrat wetting her panties, and the Republcan trying (unsuccessfully) to look as if he disapproves of the list of prizes.

Rocketman on March 10, 2007, 08:07:58 pm
Sphynx:
     I don't think that's quite fair.  Having watched my share of Jeopardy episodes I think that the writers on that show at least, have been basically fair concerning the political leanings on questions.  If you don't know the answer to say the 3rd amendment to the Constitution you don't know it.  One more thing, I didn't get your reference to M. J. Growers Cooperative up in Canada.  Are you talking about marijuana?

Sphynx on March 11, 2007, 06:35:28 pm
Rocketman: Yeah, bad concealed reference.  Blame it on late hours or something.  The idea was to choose "Prizes" that other people THINK all libertarians (big and little L) would want.  Personally, I don't smoke anything, too many alergy related respiratory problems as it is.  I just don't think that makes it my business what you or anyone else consumes.

The hunting thing was a bit overdone as well, although its the type of prize I'd like to win.  I've been in a state park in Maryland, out at the end of the D.C. metro subway Red-line, where the deer are so thick you have to watch out around the mall near dusk or dawn.  Winter of 2004, I saw a herd of 20-30 does, with 4-5 yearling bucks and one really magnificent stag (8 - 10 points).  The hiking/biking trails have signs warning visitors not to approach the dear, problem is these animals have lost thier recognition of humans as predators.  Maryland has gun/hunting laws that make it impossible to "manage" the "Public" herds, too many East Coast liberal PETA types getting elected to local & state offices.

Here in Texas, I've not even herd of an over-popluated parcel with game on it.  Our system, granted not stictly libertarian at all, is a Public/Private management effort, almost completly funded at the State Department of Wildlife, by the sale of licenses.  Quite a few property owners make good money off of land to poor to profitably farm or ranch, selling Deer Leases, and giving guided hunts, etc.

delphidb96 on March 11, 2007, 08:49:51 pm
Sphynx,

Out here in sunny central Kalifornia, we routinely see wild turkeys wander through yards and down streets.  They've figured out that no one can shoot at them.  There's about 30-40 of them which wander through *my* neighborhood - terrorizing the cats and dogs, roosting on house roofs, making out in back yards.  I remember waking up earlier this year wondering just what herd of reindeer was prancing around above my bedroom.  When I looked out the window, I saw about four or five turkeys sunning themselves against the early-morning frost on the pergola projecting out beyond my window.  Two of them kept up a running 'conversation' as they watched me watching them.

Damn, but they were hefty-looking.

And I can't begin to count how many deer walk along the creek running through the development.  Makes a hunter just want to cry.

;-)

Derek

Rocketman on March 11, 2007, 11:41:02 pm
Where I'm at, north central Indiana, we have deer (mostly does) all the time usually moving around just before
dark.  A lot of cars with their headlights on are hitting them.  Lately, we have a relatively new problem.  More and more coyotes are being spotted in the area.  In fact I'm pretty sure that at least one has a burrow just on the other side of our fence row, in the northwest corner of our field next to our northern woods.  When I walk
our guard dog I make sure that I'm carrying at least a .357 magnum or a .45acp handgun when we go for a walk down in that area.

sehlat on March 13, 2007, 12:12:42 pm
NOT enough nit-picking!  If we can pick up on the talons and symmetry errors, so can an average 5th-grader!  (Do you really want to disappoint all the 5th-graders out there?  I thought not.)

"A child of five could understand this? Fetch me a child of five!" ;D

delphidb96 on March 13, 2007, 12:29:19 pm
Ummm...  IIRC, a fifth-grader is, like, 10 or 11...  Not sure a five-year-old would spot the error. ;-)  But you're welcome to experiment and develop a working hypothesis.  ;-)

Derek

NOT enough nit-picking!  If we can pick up on the talons and symmetry errors, so can an average 5th-grader!  (Do you really want to disappoint all the 5th-graders out there?  I thought not.)

"A child of five could understand this? Fetch me a child of five!" ;D

wdg3rd on March 13, 2007, 02:23:15 pm
Ummm...  IIRC, a fifth-grader is, like, 10 or 11...  Not sure a five-year-old would spot the error. ;-)  But you're welcome to experiment and develop a working hypothesis.  ;-)

Derek

He was quoting that great humorist and actor, Julius Marx.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot