customdesigned on June 04, 2012, 01:39:14 pm
Pay attention everyone.  An excellent and important distinction:

Quite silly when you consider the number of crimes perpetrated by consumers of alcohol.  Most opponents to the war on drugs think that drugs should be legal, but you should be culpable for your actions at all times.  Which pretty much comes down to the personal responsibility that many on here promote.  Then there's the other group that merely wishes to add more drugs to the list of "harmless enough to be socially and legally acceptable."

Treating addicts as helpless victims of the dealer (unless drugged against their will - something not uncommon with the "date rape" drug) is a big part of the drug problem.

I have kids, and I know it is heart wrenching when your kid does something incredibly stupid that ruins them for life (or just kills them) because "all their friends are doing it".  But giving that unconstitutional power to government only made it worse.

SandySandfort on June 04, 2012, 02:48:59 pm
Well, now we've got Pilgrim's followers who fled an oppressive government looking to establish the self same policies they fled from.

It wasn't by accident that I picked escapees from Massachusetts. I was just mirroring reality. There has been press about people leaving Massachusetts, because of taxes, and then trying to turn New Hampshire, and other destinations, into mini-Massachusetts.

wdg3rd on June 04, 2012, 06:23:25 pm
Well, now we've got Pilgrim's followers who fled an oppressive government looking to establish the self same policies they fled from.

It wasn't by accident that I picked escapees from Massachusetts. I was just mirroring reality. There has been press about people leaving Massachusetts, because of taxes, and then trying to turn New Hampshire, and other destinations, into mini-Massachusetts.

And with a fraction of the numbers of the Massholes, the 1000 or so immigrants from the FSP have had some spectacular success rates in Concord.  The ban on smoking in bars passed, but if it doesn't get repealed this year, it will next year.

My own primary action item when I get there (hopefully a matter of months rather than years now) is getting rid of the sales tax on prepared food.  I plan to be a restaurateur, and I hate the idea of being a tax collector.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

myrkul999 on June 04, 2012, 07:37:29 pm
My own primary action item when I get there (hopefully a matter of months rather than years now) is getting rid of the sales tax on prepared food.  I plan to be a restaurateur, and I hate the idea of being a tax collector.

If I understand it correctly, the tax is technically on the restauranteur themselves, they just typically pass it along directly to the customer.

wdg3rd on June 04, 2012, 07:49:48 pm

If I understand it correctly, the tax is technically on the restauranteur themselves, they just typically pass it along directly to the customer.

You do not understand it correctly as it is worded in every place I've looked.

It's restaurateur, not restauranteur.  Trust me on this.  I used to get it wrong too.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

myrkul999 on June 04, 2012, 08:06:54 pm

It's restaurateur, not restauranteur.  Trust me on this.  I used to get it wrong too.

Interestingly, my spellchecker doesn't complain about either one.

wdg3rd on June 04, 2012, 08:37:01 pm

Interestingly, my spellchecker doesn't complain about either one.

Most spellcheckers I use reject "spellchecker".  But they get restaurateur/restauranteur right.  Of course, I use Linux, so there's better input than the Microsoft kids who came last in their third-grade spelling bees.  And let's not discuss the new generation driving spelling with their thumbs.  Scott uses their warez'y shit as an example of linguistic evolution in the future (and I quite agree) but at the moment it just pisses me off.  I went to public schools when teachers could still slap us silly for that kind of crap.

Bob G on June 04, 2012, 08:56:26 pm
As for the yelling two inches from your face.

That in and of itself can be both assault AND battery. In Florida within the last week, a man LITERALLY ate another man's face.

He refused to obey the orders of the police who were coming to the aid of the victim and had to be shot to death.

How can you equate yelling in someone's face to eating it off?

(Of note, a blood test showed the attacker had a rather large amount of those drugs that there is a war on. Not so silly a concept any more is it?)

Actually it is silly. It appears the attacker had a quantity of so-called 'bath salts' in his system during the attack. These salts were developed as a not-yet-illegal (at least in some jurisdictions; they just 'made the list' here in Minnesota) alternative to the evil weed marijuana. If marijuana hadn't stupidly been made illegal, this alternative would not have been developed, and the victim's face might still be intact. After all, when was the last time someone went on a marijuana-fueled violence spree? As a favorite comic of mine says, "The only thing in danger after I've blown a blunt is my roommate's half-empty bag of Cheetos(R)."

Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

myrkul999 on June 04, 2012, 09:05:58 pm
Most spellcheckers I use reject "spellchecker".  But they get restaurateur/restauranteur right.  Of course, I use Linux, so there's better input than the Microsoft kids who came last in their third-grade spelling bees.  And let's not discuss the new generation driving spelling with their thumbs.  Scott uses their warez'y shit as an example of linguistic evolution in the future (and I quite agree) but at the moment it just pisses me off.  I went to public schools when teachers could still slap us silly for that kind of crap.

Linux/Firefox here, and the only word it disagrees with is "warez'y," which is well and good, since that is not English. It even accepts "spellchecker".

Bob G on June 04, 2012, 09:12:53 pm

Same thing happens on the left coast. Californicators (so-called because they come from California to escape the taxation and regulation, then fuck things up in Oregon) priced housing out of the reach of the locals and demanded all sorts of 'services' and 'protections' like they had back at home, apparently not realizing that all those S&Ps were the cause of the high taxes they tried to escape in the first place.

myrkul999 on June 05, 2012, 01:07:17 am
And the doubts creep in...

Looking forward to seeing how this resolves.

Killydd on June 05, 2012, 04:08:32 am

Same thing happens on the left coast. Californicators (so-called because they come from California to escape the taxation and regulation, then frack things up in Oregon) priced housing out of the reach of the locals and demanded all sorts of 'services' and 'protections' like they had back at home, apparently not realizing that all those S&Ps were the cause of the high taxes they tried to escape in the first place.
Not quite, in the case of Oregon.  They saw "no sales tax" and went YAY, then blinked when they got the property tax bill, especially as property values skyrocketed due to people selling off an expensive California property, using that to buy a relatively cheap house, but still overpaying for the area, driving the assessed value of everything around it up, and started voting to cut property taxes.  This resulted in a lot of unhappy people when services started getting cut to keep up with the reduced taxes.

It might be worded that way, but the tax people get pissy if it isn't added explicitly at the end for them to analyze.  Ever bought something at a convention?  Noticed that a lot of vendors will just take cash for the stated value of their items, but if you pay with a card, they add on sales tax suddenly?  That's why.

Bob G on June 05, 2012, 05:06:58 am
Not quite, in the case of Oregon.  They saw "no sales tax" and went YAY, then blinked when they got the property tax bill, especially as property values skyrocketed due to people selling off an expensive California property, using that to buy a relatively cheap house, but still overpaying for the area, driving the assessed value of everything around it up, and started voting to cut property taxes.  This resulted in a lot of unhappy people when services started getting cut to keep up with the reduced taxes.

The tax rate was reduced, but because of the increasing assessed value tax collections actually increased. At least until the 'bubble' burst.

Andreas on June 05, 2012, 05:43:33 am
It will be interesting to see if Pilgrim will follow the herd he led there, or maybe find some common ground with the hoi-polloi...

macsnafu on June 05, 2012, 12:16:53 pm
Hey, that face-eating attack in Miami?  They still don't know why the guy did it.  Bath salts or illegal drugs may not have been involved.

Still unclear is what motivated the attack. Though some have speculated that Eugene was under the influence of some kind of stimulants or other drugs that sometimes cause violent episodes, police said they found no evidence of drugs or paraphernalia at the scene. Toxicology tests of Eugene’s blood will likely take several weeks.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/29/2822971/new-video-shows-more-grisly-detail.html#storylink=cpy
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.