customdesigned on May 28, 2012, 12:06:27 pm
Pilgrim is a really interesting character.  On the one hand, he is an a$$, but on the other hand he is surprisingly competent and genuinely has things to offer to the community.  Kind of like real life.

ContraryGuy on May 28, 2012, 03:31:05 pm
Pilgrim is a really interesting character.  On the one hand, he is an a$$, but on the other hand he is surprisingly competent and genuinely has things to offer to the community.  Kind of like real life.

Just like real life; especially when he wanted to sue someone for making fun of him.

SandySandfort on May 28, 2012, 07:21:53 pm

Yes, very like some people I know. This includes a self-described anarcho-capitalist who threatened to sue me because he thought I might make fun of him by creating a character somewhat like him... even anarcho-capitalists can be hypocrites.   ::)

wdg3rd on May 28, 2012, 09:15:16 pm

Yes, very like some people I know. This includes a self-described anarcho-capitalist who threatened to sue me because he thought I might make fun of him by creating a character somewhat like him... even anarcho-capitalists can be hypocrites.   ::)

There are assholes in all walks of life and philosophy.  Been known to seem like one myself now and again.  Sorry, shit  happens.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on May 28, 2012, 09:41:16 pm
There are assholes in all walks of life and philosophy.  Been known to seem like one myself now and again.  Sorry, shit  happens.

One of the perks of being a writer is you always get the last word.  ;D

ContraryGuy on May 29, 2012, 12:40:42 am

Can be?  I thought that was their default state.  ;D

Andreas on May 29, 2012, 02:12:40 am
The human condition.

Killydd on May 29, 2012, 12:48:30 pm
Oddly, if you ever read a book on manners, you'll see that certain levels of hypocrisy are considered a virtue by our society.  Of course, at least once he realized that his knee-jerk reaction was going to be difficult to carry out, he seems to have settled down.  Of course, this does settle the question of why Guy's cousin is going out there:  just another Terran ploy to take advantage of a perceived weakness, not necessarily direct agitation.  Although of course the "hysterical" woman might also have been a planted agitator.  Then again, she might just be someone prone to overreacting.

Andreas on May 30, 2012, 02:16:06 am
It's like the freed slave condition; sometimes the slave would rebel against freedom, unable to accept the change in paradigm.
Again, I think that not wanting to pay taxes is a piss-poor main reason to join an anarchy.

dough560 on May 30, 2012, 07:30:37 am
I'd love to hear what you consider a better reason.

bjdotson on May 30, 2012, 08:55:58 am
sing along with me

If you're happy and you know it, shake your chains
If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it

Andreas on May 30, 2012, 09:55:55 am
How about an escape from coercion? Or a desire to no longer underwrite the violence perpetrated by the state in one's name? Or a moral objection to any sorts of dysfunctions (like, wars on some drugs)?

If ALL it really boils down to is "I don't want to pay", then there's really no moral foundation for being a productive member of an anarchy (or any other society).
Bear in mind that I say that if that's ALL it boils down to.
Lots of losers don't want to pay taxes for all sorts of reasons. If they haven't even thought about it, they could be harboring any kind of social or mental "infections".

macsnafu on May 30, 2012, 11:07:45 am
How about an escape from coercion? Or a desire to no longer underwrite the violence perpetrated by the state in one's name? Or a moral objection to any sorts of dysfunctions (like, wars on some drugs)?

If ALL it really boils down to is "I don't want to pay", then there's really no moral foundation for being a productive member of an anarchy (or any other society).
Bear in mind that I say that if that's ALL it boils down to.
Lots of losers don't want to pay taxes for all sorts of reasons. If they haven't even thought about it, they could be harboring any kind of social or mental "infections".

I agree.  Merely wanting to avoid taxes is not much of a reason.  Seeking freedom from the coercion of involuntary taxation is a better reason, as is seeking freedom in general, or wanting to tackle new frontiers, etc.

I think the story is showing us exactly this point.  The people who merely wanted to avoid taxes hadn't really thought it all the way through.
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

quadibloc on June 03, 2012, 05:07:32 pm
even anarcho-capitalists can be hypocrites.
What, you mean that derision doesn't violate the ZAP?

It's not clear to me that this is obvious. After all, making fun of someone can adversely affect other people's attitudes to him.

Free speech means you're allowed to tell the truth about people, subject to privacy limitations. But mockery and other forms of speech with emotive effect may be legitimately categorized as action.

myrkul999 on June 03, 2012, 05:34:29 pm
even anarcho-capitalists can be hypocrites.
What, you mean that derision doesn't violate the ZAP?

No, it does not. Stating your opinion of someone, no matter how vitriolic, is not acting, nor can it be considered an attack unless it's an outright lie.