RobbinR on November 17, 2013, 10:16:10 pm

Edit: I've changed the title of this thread to reflect reality.

Edit 2: Then again, perhaps not completely, see video below.

Edit 3: It appears that part/s of Ison survived the sundive see image below to find it.

Edit 4: Scientists loved it, much data obtained.

The reason that I am putting this topic in here, is that not everyone visits the general forums, where there is a thread on the subject.
It is related to Quantom Vibe, in that just like Nicole did, Comet ISON is about to make a Sun dive.

If you have been watching/reading the news, you know that the whole world is following this event. (Well, at least most of us interested in such things)

Early on, soon after it's discovery, there was speculation that ISON might be... "The Comet of the Century",
but as time went on, it was disappointing, because it did not develop in brightness as much as many had anticipated.

HOWEVER, in the last few days, there has been very significant development in ISON's brightness, and it's tail.

The real mystery is, how bright will ISON be after it rounds the Sun on Thanksgiving Day.

Here is a beautiful photo of ISON taken on 11/15/2013.

/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:55:21 am by RobbinR »

Frank B. on November 21, 2013, 12:36:21 am
Lovely photo.  For those interested in following the rest of the thread metioned, follow this link http://forum.bigheadpress.com/index.php?topic=864.0.

RobbinR on November 24, 2013, 06:38:11 pm
Oh foowy!

For the last five days, when ISON was most visible before it past into the light of the early dawn,
my local sky has been overcast and rainy.

Now, for pretty much everyone, it can no longer be visually observed until after it rounds the Sun on Thanksgiving day.

However, a few satellites and rovers will be trying to image it.

So, today we enter the realm of anticipation. Astronomers world wide, and us common folk too,
are wondering if, and hoping so, that ISON will indeed become "THE COMET OF THE CENTURY!"

/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:49:56 pm by RobbinR »

RobbinR on November 25, 2013, 07:26:32 pm

RobbinR on November 27, 2013, 10:20:13 am

NBC news article with an excellent photo taken by the LASCO C3 detector on the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.

Comet ISON is in solar probe's sights ó and a storm is coming!

Amongst the spacecraft that will be imaging ISON as it slingshots around the Sun,
are Stereo B (Before) and Stereo A (After) - (Yup, that's what NASA calls the A and B designations)
Stereo B is the only spacecraft that is in position to see ISON cross the Sun.

Here is a neat site where you can see the current positions of A and B.

On the page is a link to the "STEREO Orbit Tool", which will allow you to see the positions since they launched,
and also into the future. They move around quite a bit in the same orbit as Earth.
Lots of other info about the two spacecraft there as well.

From another article...

"The closer the comet gets to the sun, the faster it gets.

In January, it was clocked at 40,000 mph.

By last Thursday, with just a week to go, it had accelerated to 150,000 mph.

By the time ISON slingshots around the sun, it will be moving at a mind-boggling 828,000 mph."

At that speed, the actuall Sun Dive below the corona will not take very long.

And finally, pre-encounter, this EarthSky article with advice on how to view it via various spacecraft,
with an excellent short video by one of the Stereo craft, at the bottom of the page.

Experience Comet ISONís encounter with the sun this week

/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:38:20 am by RobbinR »

RobbinR on November 28, 2013, 02:14:53 pm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:20:48 pm by RobbinR »

RobbinR on November 29, 2013, 08:01:48 am

Well well, it appears that SOMETHING made it past the encounter!

/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:14:18 am by RobbinR »

RobbinR on November 30, 2013, 02:56:27 pm

Even the top astronomers and scientists are puzzled over what happened to ISON.

Starting tomorrow December first, will be the final opportunities to see it, if it is possible at all.

Below is the diagram for Sunday, December first, from EarthSky.org.
It will be easy to find because of the help from the Moon, Saturn and Mercury. It occurs around 40 minutes before Sunrise, your local time.
Over the following several days, it will be pretty much the same, with ISON rising higher. (But the Moon will descend below the horizon)

Or maybe not. I read the following article right after posting the above.

Comet ISON's leftovers fade away, right before a satellite's eyes

/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:06:39 pm by RobbinR »

RobbinR on December 05, 2013, 10:44:01 pm

Although most of the articles you will find, mourn the death of ISON,
and express disappointment at it's failure to visually become the comet of the century,
scientists worldwide are having intellectual orgasms
at the enormous amount of new data it provided during it's long death dive.
It was a type of comet they had never observed before, pristine, coming from the outer limits of our solar system.
It is said it was the most observed and studied comet it history, providing new data that will take years to fully evaluate.
I have read many articles noting this aspect of it's passing. Perhaps I will post some of these articles in the future.

For now, I give you the best video I have seen of ISON's death dive.

Edit: Small format adjustment.

/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:27:26 pm by RobbinR »

RobbinR on December 11, 2013, 07:48:05 pm

THIS is a compilation of videos of Ison's Sun dive from various satellites and earth observatories.
To me, what is just as, or even more amazing than Ison's trip around the Sun, are the explosive emissions the Sun gives off.

There are many shots from many angles, and a variety of spectrum are displayed, be sure to watch to the end.

/

RobbinR on January 10, 2014, 12:02:52 pm

Vote in the Comet ISON Photo Contest!

Sponsored by Sky and Telescope, voting ends January 22nd.

/

customdesigned on January 10, 2014, 04:16:19 pm

To me, what is just as, or even more amazing than Ison's trip around the Sun, are the explosive emissions the Sun gives off.

Makes you wonder if we missed an opportunity to gather the data Seamus is gathering without risking someone like Nicole in a sun-dive - if only we knew what to look for.

RobbinR on January 14, 2014, 05:55:32 am

From the article...

"From January 15-16 a stream of cosmic dust - the remains of the tail of the recently disintegrated comet ISON - will hit the Earth. If the particles are large enough, Earth dwellers will see a "meteor shower." However, another phenomenon is more likely - noctilucent clouds. Scientists will try to collect particles of dust, which will fall to the Earth: possibly containing the oldest Solar System material, perhaps, even with blocks of organic matter."

Full article...

Earth to be hit with ISON meteor shower, scientists to study particles of dust

/

gene on January 14, 2014, 10:54:59 am
Space.com has a similar article. But it is old news, dated April 29,2013.
http://www.space.com/20859-comet-ison-new-meteor-shower.html
Come back to the trees; all is forgibben. Mom

RobbinR on January 14, 2014, 11:11:52 am

Space.com has a similar article. But it is old news, dated April 29,2013.
http://www.space.com/20859-comet-ison-new-meteor-shower.html

Thanks, I seem to recall it, and yes it is old news in that respect,
but, it's also new news about to actually happen. So my post is a reminder,
just in case there are some meteors to be seen.

/

anything