Bob G on January 18, 2014, 01:42:43 am
Panel 1 - The transcript has Moe saying, "or escape", but the word bubble in the strip is pointing at Nicole.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Tucci78 on January 18, 2014, 06:32:39 am
Panel 1 - The transcript has Moe saying, "or escape", but the word bubble in the strip is pointing at Nicole.

Not necessarily an error.  Remember, the transcript isn't the "drop-dead final" version of what's going into the strip. 

Having a two-shot with one character voicing all the dialogue can make altogether too glaring the idea that the silent character isn't in the scene to any real purpose.  Giving that second character a two-word "reaction line," however, makes it seem less like an information dump and more like a conversation. 
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

Bob G on January 18, 2014, 10:11:55 am

Not necessarily an error.  Remember, the transcript isn't the "drop-dead final" version of what's going into the strip.  etc,

I understand that. There is, however, a discrepancy between the strip and the transcript. I was merely pointing this out, since it constitutes an erratum. If it is an inconsequential or intentional one, Scott can either reply in the vein of 'What Tucci78 said', or simply ignore it, and drive on. If not, then it can be fixed.

Moe is 'telling a story' here after all, so a need for conversational byplay is reduced.

And brain farys occasionally happen to the best of us.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:43:51 pm by Bob G »
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

RobbinR on January 18, 2014, 10:20:29 am

To me it seemed quite natural coming from Nicole, as she grasped the situation.

/

Tucci78 on January 18, 2014, 09:51:00 pm
To me it seemed quite natural coming from Nicole, as she grasped the situation.

Yep.  Like I said:

Having a two-shot with one character voicing all the dialogue can make altogether too glaring the idea that the silent character isn't in the scene to any real purpose.  Giving that second character a two-word "reaction line," however, makes it seem less like an information dump and more like a conversation.  

Sequential art - comics - tends to get written "by ear," but it gets blocked out in the panels "by eye."

What "sounds" good in draft frequently doesn't make it into the final product because it doesn't "look" good in ink-and-paint.  

Much less likely an erratum than a considered decision.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:52:34 pm by Tucci78 »
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."

Scott on January 20, 2014, 07:51:26 am
What Tooch said. Moving on ...

Redwood Elf on February 25, 2014, 08:32:50 am
Typo: I'm pretty sure Murphy meant to say "designed INTO me" not "designed BINTO me"

Tucci78 on February 25, 2014, 05:19:49 pm
Typo: I'm pretty sure Murphy meant to say "designed INTO me" not "designed BINTO me"

Depends on the prevalence of Arabic expressions in the Vibeverse.

"Bint" has the meaning "daughter of" (somewhat archaic usage, presently subsumed by "ibna") but as an English borrow-word it can also simply mean "girl" in a somewhat derogatory sense.

"Binto" might be a legitimate mutation, possibly by way of filtration through folks whose milk-tongues are Japanese or Korean.

MTGradwell on February 26, 2014, 05:15:07 am
There's "compantions" too. I expect these will be corrected at some point. Otherwise ... maybe Murphy is deliberately misspeaking in order to create the impression of nervousness. Or maybe in the QV universe artifolk can genuinely misspeak as a result of nervousness, and Murphy is genuinely nervous. Or maybe both "binto" and "compantions" are valid future words, whose precise meaning we can only guess at.

Tucci78 on February 26, 2014, 06:43:56 am

There's "compantions" too. I expect these will be corrected at some point. Otherwise ... maybe Murphy is deliberately misspeaking in order to create the impression of nervousness. Or maybe in the QV universe artifolk can genuinely misspeak as a result of nervousness, and Murphy is genuinely nervous. Or maybe both "binto" and "compantions" are valid future words, whose precise meaning we can only guess at.

Might could be that "compantions" means "those with whom I share nether garments." 

Frankly, I think it's suspicious that in the Vibeverse of the 26th Century, the characters' dialect is so similar to our own.  Think back to the 16th Century, sirrah, and puzzle me how even an Englishman might ken not  a ha'porth of the dickerings amongst our crofters and mechanics, set away the talk of gentles and scholars in our era.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:50:46 am by Tucci78 »

DrakBibliophile on February 26, 2014, 09:57:11 am
Well, I consider any "far future" story to be a translation into current day language.

If Scott really tried to write his stories in the language likely existing 500 years in the future, we'd likely not understand it.  ;)

Now an author could speckle his characters speech with future jargon but IMO it has to be done carefully so that the reader can follow the story.

Might could be that "compantions" means "those with whom I share nether garments." 

Frankly, I think it's suspicious that in the Vibeverse of the 26th Century, the characters' dialect is so similar to our own.  Think back to the 16th Century, sirrah, and puzzle me how even an Englishman might ken not  a ha'porth of the dickerings amongst our crofters and mechanics, set away the talk of gentles and scholars in our era.
Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

RobbinR on February 26, 2014, 01:22:57 pm

There's "compantions" too.

I saw 'binto' but missed 'compantions', I'm thinking it was because the 't' is less noticeable in the middle of the word.

/

DrakBibliophile on March 25, 2014, 01:59:38 pm
In strip 797 panel four, Murphy appears to be wearing a dressing-gown (when talking to Adileh).

Drak Bibliophile (The Book Loving Dragon)
Sometimes the Dragon Wins!!

gene on March 25, 2014, 08:16:54 pm
In strip 797 panel four, Murphy appears to be wearing a dressing-gown (when talking to Adileh).

That's a trench coat. Worn unbuttoned with the belt tied. A classic lady's look.
Come back to the trees; all is forgibben. Mom

Scott on March 26, 2014, 09:15:02 am
Exactly.