Andreas on April 30, 2012, 01:43:25 pm
Maybe an NSA-sponsored tattler-chip in the sat-phone.
And maybe the hacktivist group Ink-og-neat-o had previously cracked the codes for it so they can redirect government secrets to Weakieleeks.

dough560 on May 01, 2012, 10:55:51 am
Doubt it. Stat phones were digital long before cell phones were and the  Russian government would not have sent a backup communications system without some serious encryption.  Plus any good agent or source being debriefed by an agent would have gotten all of the particulars.  I'd look elsewhere for a leak.  Such as closer to home and someone with an ax to grind.

Killydd on May 01, 2012, 11:49:01 am
Of course, there's also the possibility that a spy was already in place in Russia in just the right spot to intercept a message somewhere.  Or one of the people helping to make these decisions really didn't like how it turned out, and chose to leak it.  Or maybe the code was an older one that was already cracked(especially since I doubt the encryption on that sat phone got replaced as often as it should have) or maybe someone just got very interested in an unauthorized communication from the ISS, since no code is unbreakable.  Of course, some accountant on the ground getting interested in what was happening to all the supplies getting smuggled up for the trip to Mars could also have blown the whistle, but with no hard proof until they actually DID something.  Even now, if they all just agreed it never happened, then it just comes down on schedule with a "what the fuck are you talking about??"

Andreas on May 01, 2012, 12:18:17 pm
I lean in the "axe to grind" direction too... spies don't go blabbing to NCC, they tend to wind up dead soon after they're compromised, you see.

Oneil on May 02, 2012, 02:59:19 am
Doubt it. Stat phones were digital long before cell phones were and the  Russian government would not have sent a backup communications system without some serious encryption.  Plus any good agent or source being debriefed by an agent would have gotten all of the particulars.  I'd look elsewhere for a leak.  Such as closer to home and someone with an ax to grind.

Using a secured by encryption radio transmission would wave a large red warning flag.  If you doubt this you have forgotten the history of for example PGP and Phil Zimmerman.  If all the trusted partners in the ISS can't listen to the conversation there would be a problem.

The Satt Phone in the Locker was good insurance for them against not being able to call home, but to keep a secret from everyone else would take something such as a Laser Satellite link.

dough560 on May 02, 2012, 02:32:01 pm
Good point. Laser would be the most secure.  Speculation's fun, now to see if the story answers the question while we wait as the pirates decide their response to the governments..