UncleRice on March 11, 2012, 07:16:46 pm
Hmm, if I was raiding area 51 like they are, I would have a .45 auto riffle with a silencer, and I certainly wouldn't need to make noise before shooting. A large caliber subsonic bullet can be made to be remarkably quiet and is reasonably deadly. The risk of being heard shooting this guy is less than risking him figuring out a way to raise the alarm.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

gunner on March 11, 2012, 11:50:12 pm
that "slight delay" to rack a round from the magazine to the chamber can be very short. i've been timed at .75 second, draw to an aimed first shot, with a holstered m1911a1 from a standard gould and goodrich belt holster. the guys and girls with the competition speed rigs can beat that. an alert man with an assault rifle, big swede for example, can do as well. the rent-a-cop the kid and bird took down let himself be distracted.

Big.Swede on March 11, 2012, 11:59:09 pm
Hmm, if I was raiding area 51 like they are, I would have a .45 auto riffle with a silencer, and I certainly wouldn't need to make noise before shooting. A large caliber subsonic bullet can be made to be remarkably quiet and is reasonably deadly. The risk of being heard shooting this guy is less than risking him figuring out a way to raise the alarm.

Me, id use a semi auto dart gun loaded with miniaturized taser rounds with a quick acting tranq chaser. No need to make more enemies than you are already going to, right? I would bring something like an MP5SD along too though and hope neither of them have to be used. You know the saying. Better have it an not need it than the other way around.

Less lethal is always an option if you ask me.
"Im purely a layman, wondering from a laymans point of view."

Andreas on March 12, 2012, 04:12:40 am
Firstly; I think they want to keep the bodycount down... so going with fast and silenced overkill won't really serve that objective.
Secondly; a noiseless weapon wouldn't have worked for this, would it? ;D

Killydd on March 12, 2012, 12:59:04 pm
There is certainly a difference between an armed guard(keep it unchambered except in emergency) and, say, covert night raid into a secure facility, which I would call said state of emergency, where I would want my weapon free and ready to use just as quickly as I can decide to use it.  As far as lethal vs nonlethal, I don't think we have seen what our raiders are actually carrying.  In either case, with stealth as a main factor, I'd certainly prefer to use force before a guard could react, either with his weapon or by sounding an alarm.  Then again, a smart system could probably be wired to sound an alarm if the guard it was attached to was either killed or tasered, leaving you really with the idea of knocking him out.

Andreas on March 13, 2012, 06:58:29 am
Then again, a smart system could probably be wired to sound an alarm if the guard it was attached to was either killed or tasered, leaving you really with the idea of knocking him out.
I think one can discern if a person has become unconscious by their vital readings... so it really just leaves evading him... with the possible exception of getting him in a lock hold and tying him up good.

myrkul999 on March 14, 2012, 12:20:58 am
Then again, a smart system could probably be wired to sound an alarm if the guard it was attached to was either killed or tasered, leaving you really with the idea of knocking him out.
I think one can discern if a person has become unconscious by their vital readings... so it really just leaves evading him... with the possible exception of getting him in a lock hold and tying him up good.

If you've enough of a read on the vitals to detect nap time, you've enough read to detect a "high stress situation" ie, being tied up, gagged, and stuffed into a supply closet.

Andreas on March 14, 2012, 03:35:49 am
Yeah... interacting with the residents is for loosers. Better if they never knew they've been robbed.

Hm, by the way... what if this alarm isn't due to our protagonists? What if this alarm is part of the pretense involved in "cleaning up" poor Neanne... can you say in the nick of time...

UncleRice on March 20, 2012, 07:29:35 pm

If you've enough of a read on the vitals to detect nap time, you've enough read to detect a "high stress situation" ie, being tied up, gagged, and stuffed into a supply closet.
All good points. The tech they should have should be able to detect all of these conditions, but what has the government spent the money on?
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Big.Swede on March 22, 2012, 11:19:38 pm

All good points. The tech they should have should be able to detect all of these conditions, but what has the government spent the money on?

Concidering the "big bad" here seems to be more like trolls than vampires, i bet they spent it on pretty and shiny things that they keep under their pillow.
"Im purely a layman, wondering from a laymans point of view."

Bob G on March 23, 2012, 05:23:46 am
Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

SandySandfort on March 23, 2012, 08:39:39 am
Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.

It is not always easy to show every nuance of reality, in graphic form. My script had the shots hitting nowhere near our plucky couple. A shot showing that would be difficult to show within the confines of the strips panels. Just rest assured that the shots were fired at an area of the building to which the couple did not go. They went left, Drenkowski fired right, everybody lives.  ;D