paulr on February 29, 2012, 11:24:14 pm
IRON FLAMES?

LIFE ON MARS?

-Paul

spudit on March 01, 2012, 11:53:02 am
Last time NASA trashed a station, Skylab in the late 70's, the  did it because it was in the way of the next excuse for spending money, the shuttles. It's all about the money, corporate welfare of a sort. They pay to design, build and launch the thing and then to use it. It has no other value except to the few people there who really belong there. Something like the ISS has no value up there unless it has value here.

It really and truly sucks.

Will someone please figure out how to put a warp drive on a 747 so we can get the hell out of this place.

I wonder, were his folks somewhere near Perth when Skylab hit, were they traumatized, warped, and somehow driven to produce a child who would protect the world from such a thing?  
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Killydd on March 01, 2012, 12:50:58 pm
Last time NASA trashed a station, Skylab in the late 70's, the  did it because it was in the way of the next excuse for spending money, the shuttles. It's all about the money, corporate welfare of a sort. They pay to design, build and launch the thing and then to use it. It has no other value except to the few people there who really belong there. Something like the ISS has no value up there unless it has value here.

Unfortunately, the value of science being performed is hard to quantify. For example, even though the steam engine was invented at the end of the 17th century, it wasn't until the 19th century that it became broadly useful.  If nothing else, what we are continuing to learn about surviving in zero g will be what ultimately lets us send true colonists into space and other planets.

dough560 on March 01, 2012, 02:16:54 pm
Good point.  We're just learning to crawl.  Long way to go, before we start walking.

What matters, is the effort and how we handle the failures.

Big.Swede on March 01, 2012, 04:39:19 pm
And this is why i say the biggest threat to human continued existence is the people saying space science/exploration/testing is a "waste".

The earth has a lot of rescources, true. But eventualy they _will_ run out. Or the sun decides to go red gigant. Or we get an unexpected visit from a large spacerock. Or some humans decide that if they canīt have the world then noone else can either and boom goes the neighbourhood. Or.... Or... Or... a hundred different things. Heck it can be a real life zombie apocalypse, doesnīt matter. Sooner or later we have to go out there. We, or our children.

Now, which is the best bet? Doing the basics and sciency stuff now while we have the means and the time to get something functional going. Or wait untill the last minute and strap some invitro fertalized eggs to an experimental copy of the old Saturn 5 boosters and hope some aliens find them drifting in space and are willing to revive a race stupid enough to snuff itself out by pure greed and ignorance.
"Iīm purely a layman, wondering from a laymans point of view."

Andreas on March 02, 2012, 05:48:55 pm
And this is why i say the biggest threat to human continued existence is the people saying space science/exploration/testing is a "waste".

The earth has a lot of rescources, true. But eventualy they _will_ run out. Or the sun decides to go red gigant. Or we get an unexpected visit from a large spacerock. Or some humans decide that if they canīt have the world then noone else can either and boom goes the neighbourhood. Or.... Or... Or... a hundred different things. Heck it can be a real life zombie apocalypse, doesnīt matter. Sooner or later we have to go out there. We, or our children.

Now, which is the best bet? Doing the basics and sciency stuff now while we have the means and the time to get something functional going. Or wait untill the last minute and strap some invitro fertalized eggs to an experimental copy of the old Saturn 5 boosters and hope some aliens find them drifting in space and are willing to revive a race stupid enough to snuff itself out by pure greed and ignorance.

Agreed; so, first step is getting a proper presence on the moon, same as we get a Mars orbital station going, and seed Venus with heliophilic bacteria from the deep sea sulfur vents... we may have to modify the latter a tiny bit, but they're already almost there: And sending what amounts to a bullet to Venus isn't going to cost us a lot.

The bacteria will do their stuff, bind the sulfur out of circulation, and reducing the green house effects down there on Venus... so that sometime in the future it will be that much closer to habitable.

What else? ;D

gunner on March 03, 2012, 08:27:52 pm
i want this plan to succeed, but part of my mind keeps remembering robert burns and murphy's law.
"gunner"

Andreas on March 04, 2012, 07:17:55 am
i want this plan to succeed, but part of my mind keeps remembering robert burns and murphy's law.
"gunner"
Well... do you remember how this story arc started?  ::)
It removes at least some of the nail-biting tensions... although it will be interesting to see what complications do arise, and how they are solved

mellyrn on March 04, 2012, 08:34:19 am
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.  Here's NASA having gone and lost computers with the ISS security codes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW8vRFJ-qJw

If Sandy had tried to put that in this arc, we'd have chewed it up and spat it out with all the perfectly good and valid reasons why that could "never" happen -- though this loss-of-ISS-codes story means that those are only "perfectly good and valid reasons why that SHould never happen".

Or maybe the guy Leon is based on is a friend of Sandfort's, and he stole those laptops? ;-)

gunner on March 05, 2012, 12:39:08 am
@ andreas
that will indeed be interesting, along with seeing how neanne's rescue party handles the security rent-a-cop goon squad. i've worked for a couple of big names in that field and i was not impressed with what i saw on the job.
"gunner"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:43:52 am by gunner »

Andreas on March 05, 2012, 02:32:59 am
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.  Here's NASA having gone and lost computers with the ISS security codes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW8vRFJ-qJw

If Sandy had tried to put that in this arc, we'd have chewed it up and spat it out with all the perfectly good and valid reasons why that could "never" happen -- though this loss-of-ISS-codes story means that those are only "perfectly good and valid reasons why that SHould never happen".

Or maybe the guy Leon is based on is a friend of Sandfort's, and he stole those laptops? ;-)

If you haven't noticed the various branches of the US govt and it's affiliate pseudocorporate entities are under a series of attacks. Been going on for a couple of years, growing more together and effective all the time. It just took the authorities a while to realize that locking down the knowledge of it would only make matters worse.
Secrets will out.
I have to say, I'd rather they go via Wikileaks into the realm of non-secrets, than go via China into the realm of "governments only".

Oneil on March 05, 2012, 04:16:24 am

If you haven't noticed the various branches of the US govt and it's affiliate pseudocorporate entities are under a series of attacks. Been going on for a couple of years, growing more together and effective all the time. It just took the authorities a while to realize that locking down the knowledge of it would only make matters worse.
Secrets will out.
I have to say, I'd rather they go via Wikileaks into the realm of non-secrets, than go via China into the realm of "governments only".

Really hate to burst any budding conspiracy thoughts about any one government being targeted with cyber attacks, as someone stated truth is stranger than fiction, they ALL are under attack. 

With it's roots in the 1970's Engineering Students Phone Phreaking using a Whistle from a box of Cap’n Crunch Cereal to make free long distance calls.  Now in 2012, Cyber attack or manipulations percentage wise are rarely the work of a smart kid trying to out smart an oppressive corporation, they are almost always criminal, and when it's not, it has a honest smell of espionage.     

Andreas on March 05, 2012, 09:01:43 am

Secrets will out.

Really hate to burst any budding conspiracy thoughts about any one government being targeted with cyber attacks, as someone stated truth is stranger than fiction, they ALL are under attack. 

Of course, but the US "affiliates" have the best loot!  ;D

UncleRice on March 11, 2012, 07:36:35 pm
Bureaucrat: Leon! The ISS is on the wrong course! It's headed out into space!

Leon: No, not at all, it directly on course. It will totally burn up completely on it's way to the mid-pacific. It's all according to plan.

Bureaucrat: But the radar...

Leon: (Waves hand) The station is on track and your labor has protected everyone from any harm from a derelict piece of space junk. You''ll probably be promoted.

Bureaucrat: (Thinks of his new pool, his new car, his new mistress, his pension) Right! Everything has gone according to plan!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:38:56 pm by UncleRice »
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

customdesigned on March 20, 2012, 07:44:20 pm
The interesting part is that *some* people have no problem with extended (which currently means 215 days) stays in zero G.  Most people, on the other hand, get "idiopathic intercranial hypertension", which is a serious condition.  Resistance to zero G is apparently genetic.  So not everyone will be able to mine asteroids - unless medical science can come up with a cheap and effective treatment.

http://jewishworldreview.com/0312/space_colony_snag.php3

anything