Azure Priest on March 20, 2012, 07:51:52 am
Aww. They're holding hands. Isn't that sweet?

SandySandfort on March 20, 2012, 11:36:55 am
Aww. They're holding hands. Isn't that sweet?

Well actually, yes. I am about as anti-state as you can get, but it has surprised me that some of you have deemed all state workers as "bad" and assumed that anytime we have a government worker in strip, they must be evil or that someone is taking advantage of someone else. Like most medical people, our gutsy medtech is nobody's fool. She is with our boy because she wants to be with him (and vis-versa).

Some government workers are bastards and abuse their position for personal gain or ego fulfillment. Others are naive and think the work needs to be done, some think they can reform the system from within, or they just need a job to feed their families.

True story: I flew into the States and landed in Atlanta. For some reason, I had to go through a second metal detector and baggage X-ray. For some reason, I was their only "client," so it was more leisurely. I passed though and waited for my carry-on to clear the X-ray. Standing across from me was a TSA agent. She was a friendly black lady with a big smile on her face. Then the X-ray tech called her over and whispered with her. She came back to me and said, "Do you have a small scissors in your bag?" I said, yes. Then while subtly nodding she said in a clear, slow voice, "It's one of those scissors with rounded points... right?" I said, yes, again and she signaled the X-ray tech to release my bag.

I smiled at her and said, "You know this is all nonsense. Any one of those pens in your shirt pocket could do a lot more damage than my little scissors." She leaned forward and whispered, "I know, but the rules say we have to ask." We exchanged understanding smiles and I was on my way. As long as the job exists, I want that lady to be doing it.

UncleRice on March 20, 2012, 07:24:18 pm
Almost too simple?  I'd say very definitely too simple.  I mean, unless I'm missing something the plan is:

Fly our invisible plane to area 51, get out, walk into area 51, grab the people we want, and walk out... without anyone noticing.

I mean, I could understand security being not at its best if they're preping to deactivate the facility anyway, but it seems like they're seriously underestimating the difficulty involved.

I know it's just a recap, and they glossed over some important steps like the invisible outfits they'll be wearing or whatever, but as far as plans go, it sounds like the one the idiot/bruiser of the group suggests and everyone laughs at (We just walk in, grab the stuff, and walk out, simple).

As for the quote, I think it is referring more to the fact that things won't go as planned at all as opposed to anyone dying.  Then again, I could certainly see someone dying out of all this.
To be fair to the story, the law of Jujitsu applies. If the government applies it's own justifications strong enough, then it leaves itself wide open to other interpretations of the situation and skill sets applied to same.

@re: current comic: If I was the med tech, I would have insisted on keeping the gun, but have promised to not shoot if he held his word.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Azure Priest on March 21, 2012, 09:09:25 am
Almost too simple?  I'd say very definitely too simple.  I mean, unless I'm missing something the plan is:

Fly our invisible plane to area 51, get out, walk into area 51, grab the people we want, and walk out... without anyone noticing.

I mean, I could understand security being not at its best if they're preping to deactivate the facility anyway, but it seems like they're seriously underestimating the difficulty involved.

I know it's just a recap, and they glossed over some important steps like the invisible outfits they'll be wearing or whatever, but as far as plans go, it sounds like the one the idiot/bruiser of the group suggests and everyone laughs at (We just walk in, grab the stuff, and walk out, simple).

As for the quote, I think it is referring more to the fact that things won't go as planned at all as opposed to anyone dying.  Then again, I could certainly see someone dying out of all this.
To be fair to the story, the law of Jujitsu applies. If the government applies it's own justifications strong enough, then it leaves itself wide open to other interpretations of the situation and skill sets applied to same.

@re: current comic: If I was the med tech, I would have insisted on keeping the gun, but have promised to not shoot if he held his word.

Sorry, no. That action guarantees you will get shot.

If your opponent is feeling generous, he will shoot to disable, not kill.

The international standard is, surrender means putting down the weapon.

Failure to do so marks you as an enemy combatant, and a valid target.

dough560 on March 22, 2012, 05:33:26 pm
Too bad the nice people didn't see if there was room for two more.  However things play out, their careers are over.  They're just too close to events.

The smart thing:  The-Powers-That-Be publicly ignores the entire incident and privately steps up security to prevent a possible re-occurrence.  After all, while it exists, this is a top security development and testing facility.  After awhile any rumors just become one of those myths about the place.

The stupid thing:  While the girl will not/doesn't officially exist, the probable existence of known and unknown surveillance devices means the powers that be will be looking for scapegoats.  At a minimum, the trooper becomes a private for unstated offenses, and is chaptered out with an Other Than Honorable Discharge.  The med tech is terminated due to "alleged" misconduct.  Perhaps illegal drugs will be mentioned in both cases.

The Really Stupid Thing:  Public (within the system) charges with an attendant trial and jail time for both.

Never underestimate the vindictiveness of bureaucrats in and out of uniform when they believe they have lost face.

Azure Priest on March 23, 2012, 07:49:23 am
Too bad the nice people didn't see if there was room for two more.  However things play out, their careers are over.  They're just too close to events.

The smart thing:  The-Powers-That-Be publicly ignores the entire incident and privately steps up security to prevent a possible re-occurrence.  After all, while it exists, this is a top security development and testing facility.  After awhile any rumors just become one of those myths about the place.

The stupid thing:  While the girl will not/doesn't officially exist, the probable existence of known and unknown surveillance devices means the powers that be will be looking for scapegoats.  At a minimum, the trooper becomes a private for unstated offenses, and is chaptered out with an Other Than Honorable Discharge.  The med tech is terminated due to "alleged" misconduct.  Perhaps illegal drugs will be mentioned in both cases.

The Really Stupid Thing:  Public (within the system) charges with an attendant trial and jail time for both.

Never underestimate the vindictiveness of bureaucrats in and out of uniform when they believe they have lost face.

Today's strip (Fri, Mar 23) has all that covered.

1.) Cockpit camera view shows the "Free Bird" full to capacity.

2.) Man who held the gun on the guard and medic gave them a good cover story.

3.) To make the cover story plausible, he shot holes in the building.

It doesn't matter how vindictive a bureaucrat is, (the EMT universe has some really nasty ones, aka Col. Harris) a public trial is NOT going to go well against people who were pinned down under heavy fire with plenty of forensic evidence to substantiate the claim.

The UW will most likely blame unknown "terrorists" for the damage if the belters escape.

If they fail to escape, they will use the "attack" as justification for retribution against Ceres.

dough560 on April 29, 2012, 04:22:21 am
You're logical and plausible.  Unfortunately I've witnessed and been on the receiving end of vindictive bureaucracy.  There is no rule they won't break to get anyone close to anything which makes them loose face.