knoodelhed on January 13, 2012, 01:45:40 am
Very interesting in concept, almost too simple. To be sure, it promises to be exciting, but Herr General von Moltke's comment seems to portend that at least one character will be removed from our stage.

Karadan on January 13, 2012, 10:00:54 am
Almost too simple?  I'd say very definitely too simple.  I mean, unless I'm missing something the plan is:

Fly our invisible plane to area 51, get out, walk into area 51, grab the people we want, and walk out... without anyone noticing.

I mean, I could understand security being not at its best if they're preping to deactivate the facility anyway, but it seems like they're seriously underestimating the difficulty involved.

I know it's just a recap, and they glossed over some important steps like the invisible outfits they'll be wearing or whatever, but as far as plans go, it sounds like the one the idiot/bruiser of the group suggests and everyone laughs at (We just walk in, grab the stuff, and walk out, simple).

As for the quote, I think it is referring more to the fact that things won't go as planned at all as opposed to anyone dying.  Then again, I could certainly see someone dying out of all this.

Azure Priest on January 13, 2012, 11:17:56 am
Agreed. Their plan is WAY too simple. No contingency plans mentioned. We also know that the "free bird" is a plane flown by an assassin who may have been working for the UW. People who hire assassins don't knowingly let the assassin get things that can be used against them. I strongly suspect that the "Free bird" is not as "invisible" as they suspect.

Wildman7316 on January 13, 2012, 04:42:12 pm
But you have to have a Plan.  If you don't have a Plan, then you don't have anything to Change/Abandon.
Wildman7316

If we knew what we were doing, then it wouldn't be Research.

sams on January 16, 2012, 12:31:15 pm
Agreed. Their plan is WAY too simple. No contingency plans mentioned. We also know that the "free bird" is a plane flown by an assassin who may have been working for the UW. People who hire assassins don't knowingly let the assassin get things that can be used against them. I strongly suspect that the "Free bird" is not as "invisible" as they suspect.

I have a feeling this arc will play like a Serenity episode  ;D : Dumb Plan + Idiotic execution = Hilarious result.

Maybe this time we might get an emotional twist since there is no ressurection machine near Terra for some who just broke into a level12 security facility.

Azure Priest on January 16, 2012, 08:41:55 pm

I have a feeling this arc will play like a Serenity episode  ;D : Dumb Plan + Idiotic execution = Hilarious result.

Maybe this time we might get an emotional twist since there is no ressurection machine near Terra for some who just broke into a level12 security facility.

Yeah, autodocs are rare on Earth.

knoodelhed on February 03, 2012, 12:32:45 pm
Bump: The false-appearance generator would appear an upgrade that Free Bird's original outfitters wouldn't have counted on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:34:57 pm by knoodelhed »

Tucci78 on February 06, 2012, 07:59:36 am
Microgravity and Muscle Mass

To the best of my appreciation, not yet commented upon is the degree to which the characters undertaking this rescue mission might have problems in the transition from the microgravity prevailing in the Belt to the degree of space-time distortion found at the bottom of Terra's gravity well.

Physiologic changes associated with even moderately long-duration stays in orbital facilities today are well-known, and it takes a period of rehabilitation before those who've done a tour on the International Space Station can function safely and effectively dirtside.

So how is it that the Belters in Escape From Terra manage to retain the physical appearance of Terran "normals" instead of demonstrating the muscle and bone mass attenuation (not to mention lymphedema) to be expected among populations of H. sapiens divorced for years from the gravitic embrace of Mother Earth?

As for the ability to pull off a daring commando raid and rescue down there in Nevada pretty much on the spur of the moment like this....

Howcumizzit that our intrepid adventurers don't expect to be unable to climb out of Free Bird once she finishes her landing roll, much less to leap with resolution and agility to the salvation of the persons they'd come to succor?

Do we have some kind of Clarke-ian unobtanium technology not as yet discussed in EFT backgrounding that's operating here?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:01:38 am by Tucci78 »
"I is a great believer in peaceful settlements," Jik-jik assured him. "Ain't nobody as peaceful as a dead trouble-maker."
-- Keith Laumer, Retief's War (1966)

SandySandfort on February 06, 2012, 08:48:54 am
... Physiologic changes associated with even moderately long-duration stays in orbital facilities today are well-known, and it takes a period of rehabilitation before those who've done a tour on the International Space Station can function safely and effectively dirtside.
Do we have some kind of Clarke-ian unobtanium technology not as yet discussed in EFT backgrounding that's operating here?

90 years of advances in biotech and nanotech.

Azure Priest on February 06, 2012, 11:01:38 am
We can set down, right next to those BIG HANGARS... Right, cause big hangars don't have security and are always empty at  "top secret" locations. Granted the place is being mothballed, and the locals are SUPPOSED to be asleep, but the words "automated security" should be in the lexicon of at least Tobi.

Edit: Ok they managed to get out of "Free Bird" without getting shot, but can they make it back?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:24:48 am by Azure Priest »

macsnafu on February 07, 2012, 10:55:34 am

Edit: Ok they managed to get out of "Free Bird" without getting shot, but can they make it back?

If it was a foregone conclusion, there would be no suspense.
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

SandySandfort on February 07, 2012, 02:56:15 pm

If it was a foregone conclusion, there would be no suspense.

Right. I've been pretty pissed off lately, 'cause I haven't gotten the gig in Chile I want. So maybe I'm in a killin' mood. I've already killed off one EFT character in an upcoming arc. Maybe one or more of the rescuers will end up as hors de combat or worse...

pakaran on February 09, 2012, 03:00:28 pm
One thing I haven't mentioned, comedic aspects aside, is that raiding Area 51 with a UFO (and *especially* a UFO with an operational history that those in power likely want to cover up, and trying to kill one of the most admired technologists in human space likely qualifies) is a very good way to make sure that, if they get away, nobody will want to give their superiors, much less the general public, an accurate recounting of events due to the sheer embarrassment factor.  That means, for example, no wanted posters. 

And, if any posters are issued, the sheer giggle factor means nobody is going to pay serious attention.  I certainly wouldn't want to be the first mainstream reporter, even if I had unimpeachable sources, to report "the UW authorities are seeking the return of a genetic experiment kidnapped from Area 51 in a UFO". 

SandySandfort on February 09, 2012, 08:07:22 pm
I certainly wouldn't want to be the first mainstream reporter, even if I had unimpeachable sources, to report "the UW authorities are seeking the return of a genetic experiment kidnapped from Area 51 in a UFO". 

Certainly Jesse Ventura, heck maybe Fox.  ::)

Azure Priest on February 10, 2012, 07:49:52 am
I certainly wouldn't want to be the first mainstream reporter, even if I had unimpeachable sources, to report "the UW authorities are seeking the return of a genetic experiment kidnapped from Area 51 in a UFO".  

Certainly Jesse Ventura, heck maybe Fox.  ::)

LOL, yes. Definitely Jessy Ventura. That guy has some seriously wacky conspiracy theories going on. As for the guy "looking for Giles," I lay 10:1 odds he's going to pull the alarm. Real rookie mistake there, ladies.

anything