enemyofthestate on December 11, 2011, 09:17:16 am
I think the knitting woman at Emily's trial is a nice touch.  Is that a deliberate reference to the tricoteuses of the French Revolution?  It seems pretty obvious to not be...

SandySandfort on December 11, 2011, 01:09:29 pm
I think the knitting woman at Emily's trial is a nice touch.  Is that a deliberate reference to the tricoteuses of the French Revolution?  It seems pretty obvious to not be...

She is just a tip-of-the-hat to Charles Dickens' Madame Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities. She doesn't really mean anything; just a literary grace note. You can think of her as a quirky Cererean with a macabre sense of humor and too much time on her hands.

wdg3rd on December 11, 2011, 09:00:38 pm

She is just a tip-of-the-hat to Charles Dickens' Madame Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities. She doesn't really mean anything; just a literary grace note. You can think of her as a quirky Cererean with a macabre sense of humor and too much time on her hands.
Well, trial proceedings are even now a popular spectator sport.  Judge Judy, Peoples' Court &cet are well up there in the daytime ratings, and the broadcasters love them for both popularity and cheapness to make.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot