Bob G on November 29, 2011, 01:53:26 am
They still have Google in EFT? Wow! Talk about persistence!

Or has Google become a generic term like aspirin or cellophane?
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Apollo-Soyuz on November 29, 2011, 03:36:05 am
My guess? had to send a message out through the fourth wall  and could not think of a cute way to merge "tanglenet" and "google".

(personally, I've been hella happy with Duck Duck Go)

They still have Google in EFT? Wow! Talk about persistence!

Or has Google become a generic term like aspirin or cellophane?

Slamlander on November 29, 2011, 06:58:19 am
I thought that they had scramble-net or something like that. I wouldn't expect google to be around 500 years, or even the phrase.
T H E   S L A M L A N D E R
Computer Mage: Master of C++ and Java, Creator of instances, Sunderer of Spaghetti-code, Tender of the Class Trees, Keeper of the Holy Algorithms, Wielder of the sacred heuristics, and Novelist.

SandySandfort on November 29, 2011, 09:20:15 am
I thought that they had scramble-net or something like that.

They have the tanglenet, which is just the instantaneous version of the internet. Just as with the internet, there will be many net-based service providers.

I wouldn't expect google to be around 500 years, or even the phrase.

I don't know where you came up with 500 years, EFT is set around the turn of the next century. I see no reason to believe that Google won't be here in 90 years. For 107 years we have been "dialing" telephones; after 125 years, we still drink Coca Cola; and after 142 years, we still eat Campbell's Soup. Paradoxically, thinking about the future requires historical perspective.

UncleRice on November 29, 2011, 09:28:16 am
Googleing may be like the word "cretin". The original Cretins have been gone for 3 or 4 thousand years, but the word still carries the meaning the Athenians gave it.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

macsnafu on November 29, 2011, 03:20:43 pm
It's the other currently active strip, Quantum Vibe, that's some 500 years in the future.
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

ContraryGuy on December 01, 2011, 09:15:52 pm
I thought that they had scramble-net or something like that. I wouldn't expect google to be around 500 years, or even the phrase.

I love your signature!  But I'l bet i'm the only one here that does.   ;D

Frank B. on December 02, 2011, 08:09:20 am

The relationship between tanglenet and google is the same as between your ISP and google.  That is, one provides a transport service for information to travel from one place to another, and the other provides a search interface into a massive, ever-growing database of information indexed by what is requested the most.  Whether or not the company Google, is still around 100 years from now... well that might be science fiction.  ;)

macsnafu on December 02, 2011, 08:57:56 am

The relationship between tanglenet and google is the same as between your ISP and google.  That is, one provides a transport service for information to travel from one place to another, and the other provides a search interface into a massive, ever-growing database of information indexed by what is requested the most.  Whether or not the company Google, is still around 100 years from now... well that might be science fiction.  ;)

What would not be so implausible is that "Google" becomes a generic term for internet searching, like Kleenex became a generic term for tissue paper.
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

Apollo-Soyuz on December 02, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
The relationship between tanglenet and google is the same as between your ISP and google. 

Tell that to Tanglepedia  ;-)

Frank B. on December 03, 2011, 09:44:43 pm
What would not be so implausible is that "Google" becomes a generic term for internet searching, like Kleenex became a generic term for tissue paper.

Good point, and appears to already have that status.  I've found several dictionaries which have already added the use of the word "google" as a verb to mean "a search for information on the Internet", regardless of the actual search service/engine used.

wdg3rd on December 04, 2011, 09:26:05 pm

Good point, and appears to already have that status.  I've found several dictionaries which have already added the use of the word "google" as a verb to mean "a search for information on the Internet", regardless of the actual search service/engine used.

Well, Yahoo or Altavista would have scanned poorly as transitive verbs.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot