NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on November 17, 2011, 11:53:15 am
I don't think she necessarily does -- it was clearly a wrongful shoot.  "Hey!  Get off her now!" followed by a meaningful muzzle movement, would have settled that easily enough.  But the Libby part bothers me quite a bit.

Nor do I; the operational word here being "necessarily".  If, for example, she had deliberately staged the scene to make it appear to a third party that Anton had attacked her, I -- and I suspect most people -- would say she had culpability.  In this case there would be an intent to deceive a third party (or parties) into acting against Anton -- an act of fraud.  In the case I initially sketched out, there was also an intent to deceive, and that, too, could be considered an act of fraud.

The difference here is that one of these also includes a malicious intent; that certainly has some impact in many systems of justice (including those I systems I currently use).  However, there is also the question of unintended consequences, and whether or not those consequences should have been reasonably foreseen.  This is where my uncertainty primarily lies, if in fact Libby's actions were similar to the scenario I postulated.  Of course, neither of these has been addressed in the comic so far.

Bob G on November 18, 2011, 05:29:38 am
AHA! So Sv. Sherwood isn't *permanently* dead. That's terrific.

Fast work on the girls' part, getting him into an autodoc so quickly.

So, are autodocs as ubiquitous in EFT as AEDs are here/now?
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Apollo-Soyuz on November 18, 2011, 05:38:44 am
AHA! So Sv. Sherwood isn't *permanently* dead. That's terrific.
Fast work on the girls' part, getting him into an autodoc so quickly.

I know it was an angle to the story, but with the Speaker for the Dead, etc I kinda feel cheated. So raid her trust fund* to pay for the auto-doc and hold off the hearing until Sv. Sherwood is around so Emily can face him.

Really, if someone accidentally shot me dead and stuffed me in an auto-doc, I'd prefer that legal issues were not resolved until I had been made whole and could testify myself in court.

*spoils from the "War of the Worlds" were set aside, right?

Apollo-Soyuz on November 18, 2011, 07:04:50 am
I initially wondered about Guy, but now that all the facts are revealed, if I was in Sv. Sherwood's rejuvenate tank, I'd probably want an accountant to act as my "Speaker for Those who are in a Medically Induced Coma" too.

mellyrn on November 18, 2011, 08:14:14 am
And WHO is the 1776 reenactress in panel 5?

Hmm . . . hoop skirts in really low gravity . . . if the hem drags, I wonder if you could get an air-pressure effect to help keep you to the floor . . . nah, if it did, it would also make it hard to move laterally, I think.

SandySandfort on November 18, 2011, 08:31:37 am

Most families have them on their seasteads, virtually all businesses too. Most modes of transit carry them for passengers.

macsnafu on November 18, 2011, 09:12:12 am
I was wondering about the autodocs, and if they were going to be able to revive Sherwood.  It kind of mitigates the whole thing, knowing that what Emily did wasn't permanent.  However, the general idea and lesson is still there.
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

quadibloc on November 18, 2011, 11:49:11 am
I am glad that he isn't dead as we understand it.

It was clear since at least strip 826 that Emily was in serious trouble, and that her error stemmed from how she was affected by the loss of her parents.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on November 18, 2011, 01:22:19 pm
I know it was an angle to the story, but with the Speaker for the Dead, etc I kinda feel cheated. So raid her trust fund* to pay for the auto-doc and hold off the hearing until Sv. Sherwood is around so Emily can face him.
[...]
*spoils from the "War of the Worlds" were set aside, right?

I was wondering about that myself; it does seem rather odd that Emily would plead poverty.  Of course, a large chunk of the money may have gone to rebuild the family home for her; still, I would have expected there to be a sizable amount remaining.

She may, however, have spent the rest of the money quickly (I don't see why there would be a trust set up, although I am surprised she wouldn't be counseled to engage a sound investment adviser/money manager and accept that counsel).  It might also be that she has set something up herself, and doesn't consciously think about the resources she has.

Really, if someone accidentally shot me dead and stuffed me in an auto-doc, I'd prefer that legal issues were not resolved until I had been made whole and could testify myself in court.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Anton (and most other belters) have "homicide insurance" to ensure that if they are killed there is a party which will exact compensation as a deterrent (I would expect, too, that a family policy would be cheaper than a single policy, and that a family policy would trigger only if there were no one left to exact compensation personally).  That may kick in when the policyholder is temporarily dead for a minimum period before returning to sufficient mental capacity to act for him or herself.

spudit on November 18, 2011, 03:08:30 pm
He's not dead, he's just mostly dead -- tricky concept.

So you cut someone's head off and regrow his body from the neck down like some root vegetable in a jar? If autodocs are so common and even something that serious just leaves a psychologocal trauma, "hurt" needs to be redefined as much as dead. If they can do that much a broken arm, a stab wound in the leg, all that nasty stuff becomes minor. 

Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

UncleRice on November 18, 2011, 07:11:34 pm
Since Sherwood isn't permanently dead and Libby's explanation of what happened is fishy due to the nature of the local gravity, I would definitely put the case on hold until Sherwood was on his feet again.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

pakaran on November 20, 2011, 09:41:51 pm
It seems very likely that - especially since Emily is clearly struggling to justify her actions, even to herself - she was acting under a trauma trigger, and acted before taking time for conscious thought.  Does that make her in any sense less culpable than someone without that trigger?

mellyrn on November 21, 2011, 07:30:23 am
It seems very likely that - especially since Emily is clearly struggling to justify her actions, even to herself - she was acting under a trauma trigger, and acted before taking time for conscious thought.  Does that make her in any sense less culpable than someone without that trigger?

I'd say it depends on what you want.  In a culture where transgression is handled in terms of restoring an errant member to harmony with her community, the trauma trigger would mean one thing; in a culture where transgression is to be punished, it would mean another.

Speaking as a parent of 3 successful adults, I never found punishment qua punishment to have any value.  If I were in Anton's shoes, I'd choose to get Emily help rather than penalize her -- and I can say so, having chosen pretty much that vs. a real-life traumatizing assault, to the extent real-life law permitted.

anything