SandySandfort on October 22, 2011, 08:55:27 am
EFT is back below 100 in Top Web Comics. Thank you loyal readers!

ContraryGuy on October 26, 2011, 06:33:50 pm

You're Welcome.

Do you know hard it is to bribe, coerce and cajole those Top Web Comics people?

Very.

But everyone has their price.

wdg3rd on October 27, 2011, 01:03:49 pm

You're Welcome.

Do you know hard it is to bribe, coerce and cajole those Top Web Comics people?

Very.

But everyone has their price.

I still do my cheating the honest way -- one vote from home and one from the office.  And if by chance I hit a library or other public polling place.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on October 27, 2011, 07:35:17 pm
I still do my cheating the honest way -- one vote from home and one from the office.  And if by chance I hit a library or other public polling place.

I like that in a reader.  :)

Apollo-Soyuz on October 29, 2011, 06:05:27 pm

I'm not 100% sure how a once-a-week web comic (that I've never heard of) can get 12,000+ votes a month, every month, without some sort of cheating.

I'd also wonder what xkcd might "honestly" score if he provided a link to topwebcomics ("honestly" in quotes because you might get some fan based cheating which would be out of control of the author)

In any event, the task seems easy to do via bot. The site seems to track the IP address of visitors, only allowing them to vote once per IP per day.  Unregistered users have to solve a captcha, but a bot that encountered a question that was not already in the database would have a 1 in 3 chance of guessing correctly and at least one re-try is allowed.

The captcha is a small picture of a comic strip character and though I've seen repeats, I've not seen many. I've also never seen EFT characters used. (Sandy, you may want to have a look at this, because it looks like free advertising for your web comic. I also hope you know that are allowed to vote for your own comic)

I'm not interested in cheating, but I do believe laziness is a virtue in my profession (system admin)

SandySandfort on October 29, 2011, 08:56:39 pm
I'm not 100% sure how a once-a-week web comic (that I've never heard of) can get 12,000+ votes a month, every month, without some sort of cheating.

I am pretty sure there is cheating by some web comics, but EFT comes by its double-digit rating honestly. That puts us in the 96th percentile of the approx. 2500 listed comics.

I've also never seen EFT characters used. (Sandy, you may want to have a look at this, because it looks like free advertising for your web comic. I also hope you know that are allowed to vote for your own comic)

I saw Ernie once. Yeah, I vote every day. What is interesting is to see my one vote increment the ranking.

wdg3rd on October 29, 2011, 10:09:40 pm
In any event, the task seems easy to do via bot. The site seems to track the IP address of visitors, only allowing them to vote once per IP per day.  Unregistered users have to solve a captcha, but a bot that encountered a question that was not already in the database would have a 1 in 3 chance of guessing correctly and at least one re-try is allowed.

TopWebComix does track IPs.  For instance, if I vote for EFT, my wife can't, as our Comcast connection shares an address.  Same with me and my coworkers sharing a Verizon connection from the office.

Please note that you can vote for more than one comic and you can't really vote against any.  Been known to (in addition to EFT) cast a vote for Girl Genius (been a Foglio fan since I first saw the slideshow of "The Capture" at a Westercon three and a half decades ago) and Menage a 3.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:17:28 pm by wdg3rd »

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Apollo-Soyuz on October 30, 2011, 02:22:56 am
Please note that you can vote for more than one comic and you can't really vote against any.  <snip>

But you can vote for every comic in the top 100 except for whatever you want to vote against. That looks like a lot of work though.

Apollo-Soyuz on October 30, 2011, 02:27:04 am
I am pretty sure there is cheating by some web comics, but EFT comes by its double-digit rating honestly. That puts us in the 96th percentile of the approx. 2500 listed comics.

You also don't do "voting incentives" (bonus comics that are only shown after a successful vote.) I see quite a few comic use that.

Apollo-Soyuz on October 30, 2011, 02:32:44 am
That puts us in the 96th percentile of the approx. 2500 listed comics.
I saw Ernie once. Yeah, I vote every day. What is interesting is to see my one vote increment the ranking.

If 2000 web comics all threw in an average of 5 captchas, you could go quite a few years at once per day until you get a repeat.

Bob G on December 01, 2011, 06:00:44 am
Wow! Mid-80s to mid-150s overnight. Are skulls being duggered here?
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Apollo-Soyuz on December 01, 2011, 07:22:32 am
A change in month only. Resets everyone's counters, although I do recall voting being blocked out for hours in months past. Funny that they don't offer stats on earlier months. It's at 103rd at the moment.

Wow! Mid-80s to mid-150s overnight. Are skulls being duggered here?

Frank B. on December 02, 2011, 08:28:56 am

Actually, an EFT character is up there; Ernie.  I've seen him pop up a couple of times since I uploaded him a couple years ago.  Unfortunately it is one character per publisher, so Ernie is the rep for BHP.  They (He?) review everything uploaded and it is literally weeks to months before any change request gets handled, so I haven't bothered to swap him out.

wdg3rd on December 02, 2011, 05:15:11 pm

Actually, an EFT character is up there; Ernie.  I've seen him pop up a couple of times since I uploaded him a couple years ago.  Unfortunately it is one character per publisher, so Ernie is the rep for BHP.  They (He?) review everything uploaded and it is literally weeks to months before any change request gets handled, so I haven't bothered to swap him out.

I've seen him a couple of times myself.  I'd suggest one of the prettier characters, myself.  Fiorella, Babette, Emily.