Sio on October 18, 2011, 10:38:41 am
First off, the only person who ever got away with using a cutlery shop sword in a battle and NOT looking like a total buffoon was Rusty the Red, who defended himself in a Chicago alley after buying a sword at Corrado Cutlery.  While walking to the train station, he got waylaid in an alley by a couple of toughs who tried to rob him with knives.  He whipped the sword from the package and said "I'll see your six inches and raise you two feet!"  The next sound is THEIR two feet, as they beat them out of the alley.  Good thing, too, the sword wasn't sharp.  Corrado sold lots of nice, sharp knives, but NEVER sold a sword with an edge.  I know, I used to go in and drool over the blades on my lunch hour.

Secondly...3D Go?  Why in the name of the Honinbo would anyone DO such a thing?  The 2D version is hard enough!

SandySandfort on October 18, 2011, 02:35:27 pm
First off, the only person who ever got away with using a cutlery shop sword in a battle and NOT looking like a total buffoon was Rusty the Red, who defended himself in a Chicago alley after buying a sword at Corrado Cutlery.  While walking to the train station, he got waylaid in an alley by a couple of toughs who tried to rob him with knives.  He whipped the sword from the package and said "I'll see your six inches and raise you two feet!"  The next sound is THEIR two feet, as they beat them out of the alley.  Good thing, too, the sword wasn't sharp.  Corrado sold lots of nice, sharp knives, but NEVER sold a sword with an edge.  I know, I used to go in and drool over the blades on my lunch hour.

Good story. I have one about a two guys who brought a knife to a karate fight. The cousin of a business associate, was the all Singapore karate champ for several years running. He stayed on top by rigorous practice.

The week before the big tournament, he returned home from an especially tiring workout. On the walk from the bus stop, he was accosted by two thieves; one of whom was armed with a knife. They demanded his money. He thought about it for a second and decided, he didn't want to get into a fight, so he just handed over his wallet.

Then the thieve made a big mistake. One of them basically called him a wimp. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of both thieves, break their knife and take back his wallet. He started for his apartment building, thought about it for a second, then turned back and took the thieves wallets. Moral: Quit while you are ahead.

Secondly...3D Go?  Why in the name of the Honinbo would anyone DO such a thing?  The 2D version is hard enough!

Actually, there are several different 3D games based on Go. Our man, Freeman, is a Go hustler. So he is prepared to play any version. Yes, 3D is extremely hard.

ContraryGuy on October 19, 2011, 12:55:14 am
Two answers: (1) Cocky little bastards who are insecure about their masculinity often become bullies and homophobes. Just because they are indoctrinated, does not mean they will "play nice" when freed from outside constraints. (2) He is part of the nomenklatura. As such, he does not really believe the rules for everyone else, apply to him. Remember the manager in the first arc of EFT? She set her air conditioner temperature well below the legally mandated minimum. RHIP.

And similarly, consider all the grotesquely racist attacks on Condoleeza Rice and Clarence Thomas,

and the grotesquely homophobic attacks on "300".  I am the first to say that gays tend to be filthy, treacherous, cowardly spread disease, and will not pay their debts, but it would never occur to me that men that work on their muscles and walk around wearing very little are gay.

Gay people are not those words any than other person or group.  Hispanics are "filthy", Chinese are "treacherous", pacifists are "cowardly", blacks "spread disease" and Jews "will not pay their debts".

What does being gay have to do with how a person acts?

sam on October 21, 2011, 04:33:50 am
the grotesquely homophobic attacks on "300".  I am the first to say that gays tend to be filthy, treacherous, cowardly spread disease, and will not pay their debts, but it would never occur to me that men that work on their muscles and walk around wearing very little are gay.

Gay people are not those words any than other person or group.  Hispanics are "filthy", Chinese are "treacherous", pacifists are "cowardly", blacks "spread disease" and Jews "will not pay their debts".

You have your racist slurs all mixed up:  No one ever claimed that Jews would not pay their debts.  The problem with Hispanics is not that they are dirty, but that they tend to be stupid, lazy and feckless, which perhaps implies that a Hispanic is unlikely to have any money to pay his debts when the time comes.  Chinese are cruel, subtle and inscrutable, not treacherous - consider for example the depiction of Fu Manchu.  Pacifists, are, of course, cowardly.  

During the second Anglo Chinese war, the Chinese tortured prisoners even when that was a completely stupid and disastrous thing to do, and were always continually astonished that the British did what they said they were going to do.  Since war is deception, the Chinese always did the opposite of what they said they were doing, and assumed the British were also going to do the opposite of what the British said they would do, and were invariably fooled by the British speaking plainly and acting straightforwardly, even though the British had no intention of fooling them.  The only time they believed the British, was on one occasion when the British actually were lying, which suggests that inscrutability worked both ways.

Since gays screw lots of gays, they get a startling collection of diseases.  As for their infamous unreliability, I cannot see any logical reason why they should be unreliable, but experience reveals that they are.  You would not doubt that gays have good taste, even though there is no logical reason why they should have good taste.  Why should you doubt that they are unreliable?  The one is as well known as the other.   Similarly, you will admit that blacks can jump higher, dance more gracefully, and have more charisma, but will not admit that they tend to be stupid and violent - though even though you will not admit they tend to be stupid and violent, there are certain parts of the city where you will not hang around.

You will admit that men cannot find the keys, but will not admit that women cannot read the map.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:51:13 am by sam »

ContraryGuy on October 21, 2011, 03:04:54 pm
the grotesquely homophobic attacks on "300".  I am the first to say that gays tend to be filthy, treacherous, cowardly spread disease, and will not pay their debts, but it would never occur to me that men that work on their muscles and walk around wearing very little are gay.

Gay people are not those words any than other person or group.  Hispanics are "filthy", Chinese are "treacherous", pacifists are "cowardly", blacks "spread disease" and Jews "will not pay their debts".

You have your racist slurs all mixed up:  No one ever claimed that Jews would not pay their debts.  The problem with Hispanics is not that they are dirty, but that they tend to be stupid, lazy and feckless, which perhaps implies that a Hispanic is unlikely to have any money to pay his debts when the time comes.  Chinese are cruel, subtle and inscrutable, not treacherous - consider for example the depiction of Fu Manchu.  Pacifists, are, of course, cowardly.  

During the second Anglo Chinese war, the Chinese tortured prisoners even when that was a completely stupid and disastrous thing to do, and were always continually astonished that the British did what they said they were going to do.  Since war is deception, the Chinese always did the opposite of what they said they were doing, and assumed the British were also going to do the opposite of what the British said they would do, and were invariably fooled by the British speaking plainly and acting straightforwardly, even though the British had no intention of fooling them.  The only time they believed the British, was on one occasion when the British actually were lying, which suggests that inscrutability worked both ways.

Since gays screw lots of gays, they get a startling collection of diseases.  As for their infamous unreliability, I cannot see any logical reason why they should be unreliable, but experience reveals that they are.  You would not doubt that gays have good taste, even though there is no logical reason why they should have good taste.  Why should you doubt that they are unreliable?  The one is as well known as the other.   Similarly, you will admit that blacks can jump higher, dance more gracefully, and have more charisma, but will not admit that they tend to be stupid and violent - though even though you will not admit they tend to be stupid and violent, there are certain parts of the city where you will not hang around.

You will admit that men cannot find the keys, but will not admit that women cannot read the map.

You seem to have missed the whole point.  How does a persons sexuality determine their character?  (Without previous knowledge of the person.)

How do you equate being gay with "unreliable"?  What stereotype says that gay people are any dirtier, more treacherous, more cowardly, more unhygenic, and less likely to pay their debts?

If I had to choose between trusting an unknown gay person and you sam; I would trust the unknown gay person.  I would have a larger percent chance of a good outcome with the unknown gay person(even one who conforms to your stereotype) than I would have from you.

I know how you think.  The unknown gay person is an unknown, but, since most people are kind and worthy of respect and trust sight unseen, I would have a better chance of a good outcome.

If I had no-one else to trust but you, in the whole world, I would leave you alone and make my own way.
Because I know how you think.

sam on October 21, 2011, 08:46:49 pm
You seem to have missed the whole point.  How does a persons sexuality determine their character?  (Without previous knowledge of the person.)

No one's character is "determined", but there are tendencies.  As to what causes these tendencies, what causes homosexuality?.  Maybe homosexuality is often caused by hormone exposure in the womb, which is bound to affect people's character as much as their sexuality.  Maybe male homosexuality is caused by childhood sexual abuse, which again are bound to affect people's character.

Should you figure out what causes homosexuality, then might be in a better position to explain what causes male homosexuals to display certain well known characteristic behaviors.

jrl on November 01, 2011, 12:57:55 pm
This story arc is starting to remind me of the story of the Louisiana French gentleman and the Blacksmith. The gentleman took exception to some of the blacksmith's remarks and challenged him to a duel.

Now the gentleman was a little guy, while he was a master with the sword and pistol, he was five foot four if he was wearing higher heeled shoes than average, and the blacksmith was a veritable giant, upwards of six and a half feet tall and muscles to put Charles Atlas to shame.

When the issue of weapons came up, the blacksmith specified, "Sledgehammers in water six feet deep in Lake Ponchartrain."

The gentleman reconciled with the blacksmith, and they subsequently became friends, and even political allies.

Seems like I first heard that one from the late Jim "Paw-Paw" Wilson"

Gillsing on November 02, 2011, 05:58:48 pm
Unless we're in for some clobbering time, I'm trying to figure out what the joke is going to be. A heavy hammer in each hand, in low gravity? I suppose it could lead to some pretty out-of-control swinging around by the inexperienced. Maybe he'll clobber himself? Or simply lose control and spin around like a top until he drops?
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

sam on November 02, 2011, 10:39:16 pm
The artist has a tendency to draw scenes as if in full gravity. 

Hammers used as a weapon are usually used overhand, coming down from above, to get the advantage of gravity, which would a useless tactic on Ceres.  A hammer being swung has immense angular momentum, which would tend to spin the wielder in the opposite direction.  If you have two hammers however, you can spin them in opposite directions, thus retaining control.

Fighting with hammers in centigravity would take some practice, or else one would spin oneself around hopelessly.

happycrow on November 03, 2011, 08:51:11 am
A man whose second was a champion kickboxer and could perform as such (which we've seen) in low gravity would know such things, as well, and be able to provide pointers.  However, in that gravity, such hammers would also make a *wicked* rabbit stick.  Pierre's too Parisien to know what those are, but the other guy might not.

happycrow on November 04, 2011, 08:40:39 am
You pulled a Pontchartrain!!  Hooo-ey!

anything