Apollo-Soyuz on September 16, 2011, 10:43:00 pm
So there's a king, named after a dead king. He lives on Mercury, at least sometimes. I guess he's just merely a rich person on  Mercury because the north crater wasn't described as a kingdom.  But that means the UW government's social utopia somehow tolerates a monarchy in certain sectors. That's surprising too.

The king is financially responsible for the behavior of the individuals in his entourage. The maid quit, moved to a different hemisphere and wants to arbitrate a settlement, but the king refused. As a show of support. and without consulting their Union, most of the other low-level employees decide to strike.

The king that is named after a dead king lives in a tower that looks like the current tallest building on earth. There are Zeppelins on Mercury that appear to be sightseeing craft. There are enough of them that this one has a double digit designator. In the Zep, there staff that dress just like the hotel staff, so they must be likewise employed by the king. This one feels secure enough in his job that he's willing to gossip.

Any assumptions I've got askew here? I'm still trying to figure out who to root for. The picket line crossers, the scabs, the staff that wishes to freely associate with themselves, the monarch that can't keep his staff in line, or the maid that switched latitude.

Bob G on September 17, 2011, 06:53:26 am
So there's a king, named after a dead king. He lives on Mercury, at least sometimes. I guess he's just merely a rich person on  Mercury because the north crater wasn't described as a kingdom.  But that means the UW government's social utopia somehow tolerates a monarchy in certain sectors. That's surprising too.

There's no telling for whom the king is named. Wikipedia gives us the factoid that Abdul Aziz is a fairly common name meaning 'servant of God', and has graced royalty, poets, and scholars for centuries. Indeed he lives occasionally in the Otaared on Mercury, much as a Saudi royal might be said to live in, say, the Waldorf Astoria in NYC. Monarchies may be tolerated by the UW - so long as they don't interfere with the actual day-to-day operations of the UW.  Indeed, they may serve a useful function if they act as lightning rods for popular resentment, or if they help keep the proles in line. In fact, the royals may have helped set up the UW as a way to protect their asse(t)s.

The king is financially responsible for the behavior of the individuals in his entourage. The maid quit, moved to a different hemisphere and wants to arbitrate a settlement, but the king refused. As a show of support. and without consulting their Union, most of the other low-level employees decide to strike.

I suspect the workers think that making life difficult for the king's family and hangers-on will cause them to pressure the king into agreeing to arbitration. This is predicated on the supposition that it would be more of a pain in the rear to  move his entire entourage to another (perhaps lesser-quality) hotel than it would be simply to arbitrate.

The king that is named after a dead king lives in a tower that looks like the current tallest building on earth. There are Zeppelins on Mercury that appear to be sightseeing craft. There are enough of them that this one has a double digit designator. In the Zep, there staff that dress just like the hotel staff, so they must be likewise employed by the king. This one feels secure enough in his job that he's willing to gossip.

Yes there are dirigibles on Mercury. Some (at least one), as our H-82, are obviously sightseeing aircraft. Others may be used for heavy cargo lift, passenger carrying, etc.. There may be at least 82 *aircraft* on Mercury, though not necessarily. So far, we've only seen the H-82. There may be only two, or one. It's complicated. And that's if it's a registration number at all and not just some quirky reference to the owner/operator's past and or enthusiasms. Maybe we'll find out; maybe it doesn't matter.

H-82's steward dresses like the hotel's bell person, so it's a safe assumption that the steward is employed by the *hotel*. He's only employed by the king indirectly unless the king owns the hotel. This has not been established. I suspect the hotel's rep is based in part on the discretion of its regarding guests so the steward may be walking on thin ice. OTOH, it's not like the 'social movement' and its cause are likely to be terribly secret.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Outsider on September 17, 2011, 08:41:28 am
Three things :

1) The staff seems to be doing a bit of collateral damage in the way they are dealing with their dispute with the king.   They aren't just making things inconvenient for his entourage, but are also causing considerable economic harm to the hotel's owners.   Just how are the hotel's owners at fault for the behavior of one of the guests?  Were they supposed to forcibly eject the entire entourage because the king refused arbitration? 

The strike is also probably pretty inconvenient for the other (non-offending) guests in the hotel, some of whom undoubtedly arived before the strike and paid full price in expectation of full service, which they are now not getting. The owners could be refunding the bulk of the money, i suppose, but this just deepens the amount of collateral damage they are getting hit with.  This as a solution for the other guests also assumes that they are either satisfied staying in a low service hotel rather than a high service one just because it is cheaper,or that there are equivalent rooms they can rent with the refunded money at other hotels.  Sucks to be them if all the equivalent hotels are either booked up, or gouging on prices due to the sudden shortage of vacant ful service accommodations...

3) Lucky for the staff that they exist in a setting where labor is scarce. 

SandySandfort on September 17, 2011, 09:36:57 am

Not really. See: http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=96

Any assumptions I've got askew here?

Plenty. The king's entourage includes employees and subjects, so respondeat superior. What union? H-82 is not a serial designation, rather a type designation. So no inferences can be made about the number of zeppelins. The one which R&B board is a sightseeing craft, but that cannot be generalized into other zeppelins. Similar dress does not denote or connote anything. Consider the typical maid's uniform.

I'm still trying to figure out who to root for. The picket line crossers, the scabs, the staff that wishes to freely associate with themselves, the monarch that can't keep his staff in line, or the maid that switched latitude.

It is not necessary to take side, only to realize that sides exist and they they all have, what they consider to be, valid reasons for their behavior.

UncleRice on September 17, 2011, 05:13:04 pm
This story sounds suspiciously topical.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Apollo-Soyuz on September 17, 2011, 06:50:25 pm
Not really. See: http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=96

missed that one.

Plenty. The king's entourage includes employees and subjects, so respondeat superior.

But page 10646 of the employee handbook clearly states that employees shall not flirt while on the clock. ;-)

On a more serious note, this is why pizza delivery drivers keep getting fired for lawfully defending themselves with a legally carried firearm. Any bigbox store with a McJob will prohibit lawful carry because they happen to have deep pockets. But I'd rather be fired from a $12/hr job than be carried by six.

What union?

It's a wildcat strike, which typically means a strike not approved by the union.

H-82 is not a serial designation, rather a type designation. So no inferences can be made about the number of zeppelins.

It's a scale copy of the Hindenberg, so it's easy to assume it's not a model number

Similar dress does not denote or connote anything.

Thanks for clarifying. The guy that was hunting up customers gave the abbreviated version. This guy in the Zep really fleshed out the disagreement. I would not think an employee would do that. And if you own the tallest building in the northern hemisphere that happens to be a luxury hotel, owning a few Zeps for the enjoyment of your guests does not seem that far fetched.

SandySandfort on September 17, 2011, 10:44:14 pm
This story sounds suspiciously topical.

Huh, imagine that...

wdg3rd on September 19, 2011, 08:45:51 am
H-82 is not a serial designation, rather a type designation. So no inferences can be made about the number of zeppelins.

It's a scale copy of the Hindenberg, so it's easy to assume it's not a model number

Not to my eyes it isn't, but I may have been looking at a lot more pictures of rigid airships than you have.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

anything