quadibloc on April 13, 2011, 01:22:12 pm
Since things are generally "not illegal" rather than "legal" on AnCap Ceres, one presumes that augmentations that would be illegal on Earth aren't illegal there. Could the Black Mamba be surprised by running into someone faster?

GlennWatson on April 13, 2011, 03:16:23 pm
Since things are generally "not illegal" rather than "legal" on AnCap Ceres, one presumes that augmentations that would be illegal on Earth aren't illegal there. Could the Black Mamba be surprised by running into someone faster?

Oh that is very good.  I would love to see the look on her face if the professor beat her in a quick draw.

dough560 on April 22, 2011, 04:51:03 pm
Nutrition, fats, cholesterol etc. What's healthy depends on a persons level of physical activity and exercise program.  My current job requires me to physically move by hand, approximately 20 metric tons five to six days a week. Occasionally I get a "lite" shift where I only move 10 to 15 metric tons.   Additionally I do an aerobic and anaerobic workout in the company gym, each day I work.  During my last physical, my stats were all in the middle of the range.

Enhancement to increase my strength, repair my eyesight and joints, speed up my reaction time, improve my memory and regrow my thinning hair is my favorite fantasy.  Doc Taylor's realized nanotechnology would be ideal.

Rorschach on April 27, 2011, 05:14:15 am
I admit to having not read this thread, but I'll recap some of the info gained after extensive study.

Aging falls into a few different mechanisms that we are currently aware of:
telomeres shortening (responsible for the Hayflick limit)
accumulated genetic damage
accumulated toxins (including oxidants, mercury, etc)

Using 1997 technology, we could take a retrovirus to activate the telomerase production, lengthening the telomeres. It was believed this may cause cancer, but some 2005 research indicated that it renders cells immune to cancer via microRNA transfers. A single shot will reduce the cellular age of all tissues to around 21 year old or so. Grey hair and wrinkles to normal hair color and tight skin from one shot. This is a permanent change.

Genetic damage from radiation will *eventually* be purged via nanites that search for flawed DNA.

The best way to prevent toxin buildup is to avoid consuming toxins. Unfortunately that means no store bought food, since anti fungal sprays, pesticides, etc are required on all shipped food in the US. Organic food is simply grown organically, THEN sprayed for shipping. There are also 90-92 toxic chemicals that are permitted on "Certified Organic" food at the California and US National levels.

Having telomerase activation treatments will help with the other two forms of aging, through dilution. Some experiments have been done with mice and rabbits, but they are trying to avoid the impact.

Some life lengthening techniques:
hyperbaric chambers for massive oxygen absorption and stem cell production
massively reduced caloric intake to encourage higher efficiency
Miscellaneous things: astragalus, red wine, blueberries, etc

sams on April 27, 2011, 05:53:45 am
Truth be told his posts can generally be ignored anyways. He rarely contributes anything worth reading

. . . says a man who does not have a forum full of people discussing his works, about a man who does.

This is called being a Rodent of glory ... like a rodent, but hanging others people's glory.

quadibloc on June 13, 2011, 06:33:05 am
Using 1997 technology, we could take a retrovirus to activate the telomerase production, lengthening the telomeres. It was believed this may cause cancer, but some 2005 research indicated that it renders cells immune to cancer via microRNA transfers.
One has to be careful before concluding that since "some 2005 research" says something, it is a fact. Work done on the frontiers of science doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

What I think the general understanding is, or should be, is that individuals differ considerably in their genetic susceptibility to cancer. In some people, the immune system finds nascent cancers and destroys them; in others it doesn't. Where this and other defenses against cancer are in good working order, abolishing cellular aging through telomere shrinking won't cause cancer - but for others, it would eliminate a critical defense.

So what we need to do to make such a technique better than Russian Roulette would be to understand the body's defenses against cancer better, so that the same retrovirus could also repair any missing ones.

paddyfool on June 16, 2011, 07:14:58 am
So what we need to do to make such a technique better than Russian Roulette would be to understand the body's defenses against cancer better, so that the same retrovirus could also repair any missing ones.

I'm sceptical about somatic gene therapy in general - so far, it's pretty much entirely failed to deliver on its promise.  However, on the subject of defenses against cancer, did you know that the first cancer therapeutic vaccine (i.e. a vaccine designed to direct the body's immune system to attack cancer cells) was licensed last year?

It rejoices in the unpronouncable name of "Sipuleucel-T", and it seems to extend survival in metastatic prostate cancer by an average of six months.  Not a game-changer yet, but it is promising.

wdg3rd on June 17, 2011, 03:29:44 pm
Predictions can't be made exactly. but just snapshot therapies available at fifty-year intervals over the past couple of centuries and extrapolate a little.

Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

quadibloc on July 07, 2011, 07:39:45 am
The best way to prevent toxin buildup is to avoid consuming toxins..
That may be, but these guys who advocate unusual diets as a pathway to youthful health and vigor haven't managed to live to be 200, let alone 500. So advances in conventional medical science, which actually involve going around and re-arranging cellular machinery, not vague notions about going "back to nature", are what is needed for real progress.

As might be expected by the fact that most of the advocates of this or that wonder nature cure diet just invented something out of their own heads based on notions that sounded plausible to them... instead of working from detailed research and experimentation to obtain a solid empirical foundation for what they advocated.

UncleRice on August 03, 2011, 12:13:20 pm
One bit of rejuve tech not discussed yet are these new 3d printers. They are taking stem cells from a patient, groing new cells of particular varieties and then assembling the new parts cell layer by cell layer for rejection free replacement parts. I understand complex organs are still a problem, but the logical conclusion of the tech is substantial.
You could take a single one of your stem cells, give it a genetic tune-up, regress it's biological age to 16 or so, and then grow enough cells to print out a whole new body ready to have your brain dropped into.
It still leaves brain centric aging issues to be dealt with, but it would all of your other physical issues in one shot.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

mellyrn on September 13, 2011, 09:54:21 am
working from detailed research and experimentation to obtain a solid empirical foundation for what they advocated.

Which is why I favor the "paleolithic" approach (to a sensible diet, I mean, not to life extension) -- a couple million years' experimentation on the entire species is solid & empirical enough for me.

As for EFT rejuv, I'd expect side effects like drastic personality changes and massive memory loss.  I do think it's quite fantastic -- in the fantasy-genre sense of the word -- to posit a side-effect-free process in the first place.  Not that I mind; side effects would compel a very different story & I'm enjoying this one.