wdg3rd on November 07, 2011, 08:34:16 pm

Jinkies, I love a good exclamatory. Very popular TV created exclamatory getting wide use is "frak".

Not TV created.  Was in use by role-playing game authors 15 years previously.
But het, no-one cares about us RPG'ers, do they? 

Frak is a fine example of the use of mass media.

Which role-playing game authors?  Frack was first in use to my memory in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series, which aired while the AD&D manuals were first being written and published, rendering obsolete my original paper D&D documentation.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

Apollo-Soyuz on November 08, 2011, 08:05:27 pm
Which role-playing game authors?  Frack was first in use to my memory in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series, which aired while the AD&D manuals were first being written and published, rendering obsolete my original paper D&D documentation.

And it was spelled "frack" too, at least in the books. (of course, in the novelization, the Cylons were lizard-type critters in armor, and it was only on the planet of the mythical unicorns where they were sometimes replaced with ersatz robots, due to troop losses)

The reboot changed the spelling to "frak", because it ought to be a four-letter word.

Frank B. on November 11, 2011, 04:11:18 pm

Jinkies, I love a good exclamatory. Very popular TV created exclamatory getting wide use is "frak".

Not TV created.  Was in use by role-playing game authors 15 years previously.
But het, no-one cares about us RPG'ers, do they? 

Frak is a fine example of the use of mass media.

Wasn't a fan of the original BSG (loved the new one),  Watched a few episodes but couldn't stomach it, so I missed that they used "Frack"  way back in the late 1970s. A little surprised they got away with it. Played a little D&D and another RPG that was sci-fi oriented (forget its name) in the 80s.  But didn't run across the term until the new BSG started.  Learn something new every day. :)

Apollo-Soyuz on November 12, 2011, 08:57:20 am
Wasn't a fan of the original BSG (loved the new one),  Watched a few episodes but couldn't stomach it, so I missed that they used "Frack"  way back in the late 1970s. A little surprised they got away with it. Played a little D&D and another RPG that was sci-fi oriented (forget its name) in the 80s.  But didn't run across the term until the new BSG started.  Learn something new every day. :)

It was a way to cuss and still get around the censors. They made the space-whore get another job though.

I was a huge fan as a kid, only losing interest after a few gods-awful episodes of Galactica 1980