quadibloc on September 16, 2011, 07:15:26 am
Now that things have moved along, I see a reason for the strike I can sympathize with, although it appears that the hotel is an innocent third party. No doubt, though, this will be explained soon, perhaps in the very next strip.

And this will, of course, also elucidate the vexing question of the UW's relations with worlds other than Earth. My suspicion so far had been that, except for the Moon, where the UW can put prisons, its claims to be more than just Earth were mere pretensions - since the only other world we know of, Mars, is at least semi-free.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on September 16, 2011, 03:04:43 pm
Now that things have moved along, I see a reason for the strike I can sympathize with, although it appears that the hotel is an innocent third party. No doubt, though, this will be explained soon, perhaps in the very next strip.

One realistic possibility is that the victim expected the hotel owners to sever business relationships with the king, and they refused to do so.

dough560 on September 17, 2011, 10:57:12 pm
Let see, My employee is attacked.  The attacker's employer, legally responsible for his employee's behavior, refused arbitration. 

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split ya.  Yes the "King" and party should have been evicted.

Why?  Ethics.  Common Sense, call it what you will.  This "King" seems to believe he and his employees have no obligation or duty to obey civil law.  The fact he will not respond to arbitration, but acted to protect an employee from civil action brings his behavior, ethics and morals into question.  In other words, how can I trust this "King" to pay his bills or treat fairly with friends and neighbors.

Within the depicted society, aberrant behavior.

SandySandfort on September 18, 2011, 08:28:11 am
Let see, My employee is attacked.  The attacker's employer, legally responsible for his employee's behavior, refused arbitration. 

Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split ya.  Yes the "King" and party should have been evicted.

What if the king owns the hotel?

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on September 19, 2011, 09:14:26 am
What if the king owns the hotel?

If the king owns the hotel (totally or in part), I would surmise that this isn't well known.  If it were, I would expect the conversations about it to be worded quite differently.

I would certainly say that it is quite likely that the relationship between the king and the hotel management has aspects that both may be influencing the actions reported and have not been revealed.

quadibloc on September 19, 2011, 11:59:19 am
And now we're getting to a situation where the strike is extending to people who are definitely third parties. Withdrawal of one's own services can't really be termed blackmail, but it's getting uncomfortably close. (They could have passed the hat among themselves, and using their potential bargaining power in this way might in the end add up to the same thing.) Thus, while King Abdul-Aziz is clearly a bad guy, it looks like there is going to be some ambiguity here as... suggested as a possibility, if not promised.

anything