AlpineBob on July 21, 2011, 05:18:35 am
This strip needed an editor - it just doesn't read that well:
"Central Park was one of Venusville's favorite attraction for Reggie and Babbette ironically, due to its similarity to Terra."
...one of [its] attractions...

Actually, that missing s is the only real error.  I would have prefered "had" between "they" and "left" - but that's just my preference, and it works as is.

And I don't think the similarity to Terra is ironic so much as purposeful. Heck, I don't think even their attraction to the place especially ironic.  Unless every visitor to Yosemite is indulging in irony.  Humans find beauty in nature, even if it is sculptured as much as a japanese garden. Perhaps it is the echo of their abandoned past you're referring to? Homesickness is not especially ironic to me either.
But that's just me; irony is in the eye of the beholder, or so I've heard...

There are other tiny things that annoy me too, like how "On the first visit, they were hushed" makes it sound as if a librarian shushed them.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood...

Because if you get only one complaint from me every 250 strips or so, you must be doing mostly things I like!

SandySandfort on July 21, 2011, 08:57:00 am
Because if you get only one complaint from me every 250 strips or so, you must be doing mostly things I like!

Your suggestions have been noted. Tell you what, rather than wait another 250 strips to complain, why not give us some positive feedback on any of the things you do like.  :)

quadibloc on July 21, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
Because Terra is depicted as being controlled by a tyrannical government, from which the characters in the strip are refugees, it's ironic that they like something that "resembles Terra".

That it makes perfect sense for something that resembles the Earthly environment in the particular way that this park does resolves the irony, it doesn't eliminate it. The irony comes from the fact that there are both good and bad things about Earth - the good thing being that it is the place whose nature is what we are fit for, the bad thing being its crowding and misgovernment. So being like Earth... can mean more than one thing.

Gillsing on July 22, 2011, 07:38:28 am
Or could the irony have been that the attraction they liked the most on Venus was one that reminded them of Earth instead of showcasing something that's typical for Venus?
I'm a slacker, hear me snore...

sam on July 22, 2011, 07:47:23 pm
Because Terra is depicted as being controlled by a tyrannical government, from which the characters in the strip are refugees, it's ironic that they like something that "resembles Terra".

We all have a preference for the lake filled lightly forested savanna on which we originated.  Thus, for example, when the pioneers settled Australia, where the native landscape was treeless, they planted a few trees here and there.  Where the native landscape was tree covered, they cut down most of the trees, leaving a few trees here and there.  Once bulldozers became available, they created ponds here and there. 

I imagine we will do something rather similar wherever we settle, though it will probably usually be miniaturized like a Chinese water garden or Japanese bonsai

dough560 on July 22, 2011, 11:57:16 pm
Sam, a good point.  Explorers and settlers will carry "Home" with them, transforming their environment as they go.  Why should that change from what we have traditionally done throughout our history?

J Thomas on July 23, 2011, 07:35:59 am

If a tyrannical government took over your hometown, where you liked the scenery, would you stop liking the scenery?

quadibloc on July 23, 2011, 10:14:03 am
If a tyrannical government took over your hometown, where you liked the scenery, would you stop liking the scenery?
Of course not.

But that's just why it makes sense, despite the irony. I don't think it makes it a false irony. (It works better if my hometown was taken over before I was born, too.)