NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on June 14, 2011, 06:31:46 pm
On page 722, how exactly did Dr. Harmon manage to recognize Rejuvenated Reggie?  Assuming that Dr. Harmon knew Reggie in the past, Reggie hasn't looked like that in 30-50 years, and even then I would expect there would be some slight differences (small variations in the rejuv; different clothing and hair styles); between that and the subtle mental drift that occurs in memories over the years it seems hard to imagine.

I would think that at best, Dr. Harmon might think Reggie "looks rather like" the person he remembered from years ago.

dough560 on June 15, 2011, 03:46:32 am
Both individuals have been through rejuvenation?

Azure Priest on June 15, 2011, 07:07:02 am
Could just be the cheesy code-name, and Babbette looks a mite po'd!

paddyfool on June 15, 2011, 08:26:04 am
Perhaps his voice hasn't changed.  Perhaps Dr Harmon knew him very well, from 30-50 years ago.

Also, you know how you notice the similarity between fathers and sons?  Like that, only much more so.

Apollo-Soyuz on June 15, 2011, 08:46:49 am
Indeed, I thought that they both had chosen items to be tweaked, like hair color and facial features, to be change or sculpted during the rejuv.  page=654

On page 722, how exactly did Dr. Harmon manage to recognize Rejuvenated Reggie?  Assuming that Dr. Harmon knew Reggie in the past, Reggie hasn't looked like that in 30-50 years, and even then I would expect there would be some slight differences (small variations in the rejuv; different clothing and hair styles); between that and the subtle mental drift that occurs in memories over the years it seems hard to imagine.

I would think that at best, Dr. Harmon might think Reggie "looks rather like" the person he remembered from years ago.

SandySandfort on June 15, 2011, 08:31:13 pm

I have attended some class reunions and just run into old friends after years of not seeing them. I can usually see right through the wrinkles and graying/disappearing hair. Pattern recognition is one the thing humans do really well.

J Thomas on June 16, 2011, 12:19:25 am
On page 722, how exactly did Dr. Harmon manage to recognize Rejuvenated Reggie? 

Reggie stood up and attracted his attention and insisted on an assumed name.

The guy probably thought, "Who do I know who'd act like that?" and Reggie's face jumped out of his  memory.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on June 16, 2011, 05:14:52 pm
I have attended some class reunions and just run into old friends after years of not seeing them. I can usually see right through the wrinkles and graying/disappearing hair. Pattern recognition is one the thing humans do really well.

True; however, such pattern recognition is prone to false matches.  One key difference between this meeting and a class reunion is that at the latter one expects to encounter people one knew many years earler.  Should you have run into one of these people in an unexpected location (e.g., a hotel restaurant in a city you are visiting), I suspect that at a minimum the certainty of the recognition would be muted, if indeed your pattern recognition triggered at all.

Scott on June 16, 2011, 06:30:53 pm
Had Reggie not pre-empted him, Hanson might have strolled over to their table and said something like, "Reggie King? Is that you?" and if anyone overhears their cover is blown.

I'm not sure Reggie's Tourette's impression was much less problematic, though.

J Thomas on June 16, 2011, 07:19:20 pm
The other guy doesn't look all that old. Maybe he's done rejuv too.

That would affect his sense of what people might look like.

Of course, that leaves Terran security with something to think about. They can't depend at all on seeing through disguises, when people can change their appearance drasticly and it winds up as natural as before.

So any time it would matter, they would presumably take DNA samples and compare them to their library of wanted DNAs.

Maybe you could get your DNA changed to something that doesn't resemble you, but then who are you?

mellyrn on June 17, 2011, 07:16:41 am
Maybe you could get your DNA changed to something that doesn't resemble you, but then who are you?

Who are you if you are rejuv'd, anyway?  This EFT version seems to assume aging is a self-contained process that does not interact with or affect anything else (memory? personality?)  But are the changes in my, say, telomeres merely degradation, or are they related to my experiences?  If you alter/delete this trace of my experiences, do I walk out of rejuv the "same" person who went in?  What about the other things this rejuv "corrects"?  Are there really no side effects?

quadibloc on June 17, 2011, 07:29:27 am
Who are you if you are rejuv'd, anyway?  This EFT version seems to assume aging is a self-contained process that does not interact with or affect anything else (memory? personality?)  But are the changes in my, say, telomeres merely degradation, or are they related to my experiences?  If you alter/delete this trace of my experiences, do I walk out of rejuv the "same" person who went in?  What about the other things this rejuv "corrects"?  Are there really no side effects?
I think it's reasonable to suppose that memories are in the connections between neurons, the electrical currents in the brain, and perhaps RNA in brain cells... and not in their nuclear DNA.

That being said, there are scientific experiments that show that people more easily remember experiences that they had while in the same "state". Thus, if you, when sober, don't remember something from when you were tipsy... you might remember it again when you again become similarly tipsy. This applies to other things that affect the brain - such as a woman's position in her menstrual cycle.

So I can imagine that, without any direct personality changes due to brain alteration, the hormone changes that accompany rejuvenation will indirectly affect personality. And people undergoing it will be counseled to watch out for this. Waldo Juarez may not have, in fact, been paying quite enough attention during that counseling.