spudit on April 19, 2011, 12:34:30 am
We all do it, it happens. What we can do is ask nicely and ratchet it up to listen A hole, stop it. That is what makes this interesting. We're spread out across the planet. We can't hurt each other physically. All we can do is ask, reason, insult or shun each other here on the forum.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

dough560 on April 19, 2011, 03:37:32 am
From time to time we have all gone off topic.   What I'm talking about are individuals posting responses which generally boil down to the same response.  "It can't work, because I say it can't."  Regardless of their language, it's the same rant, time and again.  Disagree with them and their manners go downhill. 

I know very well, we are not saints.  Many contributors make excellent arguments establishing their views.  Do I agree with everyone.  No.  But I do try to understand what I don't agree with. 

J Thomas on April 19, 2011, 05:19:47 am
From time to time we have all gone off topic.   What I'm talking about are individuals posting responses which generally boil down to the same response.  "It can't work, because I say it can't."  Regardless of their language, it's the same rant, time and again.  Disagree with them and their manners go downhill. 

And their opposite number, who say "It can't fail, because I say it can't.". And then they both present arguments designed to prove their points without much actual evidence.

Brugle on April 19, 2011, 11:35:23 am

And their opposite number, who say "It can't fail, because I say it can't.". And then they both present arguments designed to prove their points without much actual evidence.

That is very seldom how it works on this forum.  Much more common is that someone (A) makes a bald assertion, as dough560 indicated.  Someone else (B) says that A's statement is wrong and gives a more realistic scenario.  A whines that his ignorant answer is just as valid as B's informed answer.  B suggests that A educate himself by reading one or more of several books or several online articles.  A doesn't (and may, in fact, proudly proclaim his intention to remain ignorant).  Some time later, A claims that B is his "opposite number" and that B doesn't present evidence.

Of course, this pattern doesn't guarantee that A is wrong or that B is right on the point being discussed.  But when this pattern occurs, it is ridiculous to treat A's ignorant views as equivalent to B's informed views.

mellyrn on April 19, 2011, 02:57:21 pm
Myself, I don't mind.  I've never met a thread that stayed on point, and the worst I can say about it is, when I'm new to a forum and find a thread with a compelling title, I'm a little saddened when the conversational flow shifts away when I, the new reader, am still intrigued with the opening concept.  When I start a thread, it's with a mild curiosity as to where it will go.

Posters will return to topic if & when they take (or renew) interest.  To have a moderator such as panel discussions have would demand a lot of somebody's energy.  So, is this forum a cocktail party or a formal panel?

Holt on April 19, 2011, 05:38:30 pm
I propose everyone who identifies themselves by some ideology be banned from the board forever. Yes this includes the author but oh well we must be uncompromising for our struggle to create a better board must be pure and righteous!

Once we have purged the cancer of ideology from this board then finally discussion can begin.

J Thomas on April 19, 2011, 06:24:38 pm

That is very seldom how it works on this forum.  Much more common is that someone (A) makes a bald assertion, as dough560 indicated.  Someone else (B) says that A's statement is wrong and gives a more realistic scenario.  A whines that his ignorant answer is just as valid as B's informed answer.  B suggests that A educate himself by reading one or more of several books or several online articles.  A doesn't (and may, in fact, proudly proclaim his intention to remain ignorant).  Some time later, A claims that B is his "opposite number" and that B doesn't present evidence.

Of course, this pattern doesn't guarantee that A is wrong or that B is right on the point being discussed.  But when this pattern occurs, it is ridiculous to treat A's ignorant views as equivalent to B's informed views.

I have run into the exact same situation with some Christians. When they said they have proof that evolution cannot happen, and I disagreed since I had observed evolution happen, they would then refer me to books and articles that they said prove that evolution can't happen. "Don't argue from ignorance. You have to read the Creation Science literature or you won't know the truth."

The exact same thing, but maybe a little bit different. I would refer them to scientific papers which they refused to read because they said the scientists were biased.

Aardvark on April 19, 2011, 08:45:03 pm
I have run into the exact same situation with some Christians. When they said they have proof that evolution cannot happen, and I disagreed since I had observed evolution happen, they would then refer me to books and articles that they said prove that evolution can't happen. "Don't argue from ignorance. You have to read the Creation Science literature or you won't know the truth."

Nobody is making those arguments here, not that it matters very much if there were. The subject is about jamming threads. As many people have said, everyone veers off topic every now and then. When the point of the thread is completely taken over, however, and it becomes like other threads, then all the threads become more tedious to wade through because the title doesn't necessarily reflect what's going on.

dough560 on April 20, 2011, 06:23:34 am
I deliberately did not name names.  The usual suspects are at it again.  Yes I mean ....

mellyrn on April 20, 2011, 08:41:04 am
Let a forum identify itself as either a formal panel sort of thing, where participants are expected to stay on topic, or a more colloquial, happy-hour chat situation. 

When I first started here I was very hesitant to offer the least angle of drift.  As I read my fellow participants' offerings, however, I inferred that the social norm here was informal and accepting of drift, and joined in merrily.

Perhaps instead of imposing the form on the entire forum, though, we could do it thread by thread.  Next time I start one, I'll add "drift-friendly" as warning coloration.

spudit on April 20, 2011, 10:43:00 am
I was not recomending getting a moderator, just pointing out how since we have no adult supervision, we must be adults.

In the terms of the strip as a thought experiment, it is presumed just enough order to make things easier grows like a crystal given the right conditions.  Forced order like the UW seldom fits and is too clumsy.

Another dry day here, you folks play nice now.
for EFT
have you voted today?

mellyrn on April 20, 2011, 03:14:04 pm
since we have no adult supervision, we must be adults.

Sure.  I'd just like to know if we're adults on a formal panel or adults in a pub.  Offline, I can usually tell when I'm in a pub, without needing to be told (when I can't, please take my car keys away).  But there's no beer here to help me make the call, so I thought I'd ask.

spudit on April 21, 2011, 09:39:29 am
A Pub, in my minds Harry's, the nicest dive on East Colfax in Denver about 12 years ago with my olde gang now all dead or dispersed.

Mellyrn, with luck and if I find a trailer, we launch next Saturday.
for EFT
have you voted today?

orthzar on April 21, 2011, 06:13:16 pm
The capacity of someone to go off-topic in a forum should be just as unhindered as someone speaking about something off-topic in a casual conversation, unless the forum is about serious issues, like a how a company will be changing their privacy policy.   

I nonetheless agree with the OP: PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!   plzkthnx

Off topic:
"Спасибо большое, очень много инфы нашла на вашем форуме)" = "Thanks a lot, a lot of disk imaging found on your forum)" at least according to Google Translate.  Doesn't quite make any sense.

GlennWatson on April 21, 2011, 07:07:24 pm
"Спасибо большое, очень много инфы нашла на вашем форуме)" = "Thanks a lot, a lot of disk imaging found on your forum)" at least according to Google Translate.  Doesn't quite make any sense.

I translated it as, "All your base are belong to us."

anything