spudit on April 11, 2011, 12:39:18 am
Clarification of time scale please, didn't the formerly olde pharts spend a long time in the tube? Yet it is the same day on Ceres.

See I told you guys Rhonda was some sort of political officer or some such.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:00:53 am by spudit »
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

mellyrn on April 11, 2011, 05:59:36 am
I'm guessing it's not the same day.  I think we followed Reg & Babbette up to the oh-no-he-didn't-really-say-that moment, and then, in shifting back to Ceres, backed up in time to the beginning of this run-up.  I don't know how far, though.

Or maybe a "long" rejuv is merely several hours.

SandySandfort on April 11, 2011, 08:19:01 am
I'm guessing it's not the same day.  I think we followed Reg & Babbette up to the oh-no-he-didn't-really-say-that moment, and then, in shifting back to Ceres, backed up in time to the beginning of this run-up.  I don't know how far, though.

Or maybe a "long" rejuv is merely several hours.

Your first speculation is correct. Significant things happen on Ceres; significant things happen on Mars. The arcs started at about the same time; they will end at about the same time. However, their day-to-day timing is not necessarily simultaneous.

spudit on April 11, 2011, 09:30:42 am
Thanks.
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on April 14, 2011, 10:20:06 am
OK,
Chaing is the military boss/figurehead
Rhonda is the political boss/fanatic.
And the other two? Just fillers?
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on April 18, 2011, 10:35:39 am
Captain, now there is an interesting word.

Ed refuses to see it as a military rank because maybe that legitimizes the whole government army thing.  But I believe Reggie used it for the man running the ship. Was that a job title, like accountant Guy or Doctor Somebody, MD?
for EFT
have you voted today?

Xavin on April 18, 2011, 10:50:00 am
Captain, now there is an interesting word.

Ed refuses to see it as a military rank because maybe that legitimizes the whole government army thing.  But I believe Reggie used it for the man running the ship. Was that a job title, like accountant Guy or Doctor Somebody, MD?

It seems likely to me that Reggie would be using it in the sense of a job title.

My understanding is that even current militaries (and for some centuries back) recognise the distinction between the rank and the job title - so that the commander of a military naval vessel is referred to as the "Captain" (i.e the job title) regardless of actual rank. And any military officer aboard with the actual rank of captain who isn't the vessel's commander receives a temporary "courtesy" promotion (so a naval captain would typically be addressed as "Commodore" while an army or marine captain would be called "Major") in order that there is only ever one person aboard who actually gets called "captain".

So, in theory, you could have a naval vessel commanded by a lieutenant commander (who gets called "captain"), with a marine company aboard commanded by a captain (who gets called "major"), and also transporting (as a passenger) a naval captain (who gets called "commodore")

spudit on April 18, 2011, 12:16:40 pm
As I understand it too.

A small ship boss may have the rank, payscale, insignia, of a commander or less but as the boss he is captain. As you may recall, I have given this boat stuff some thought.

In a few weeks I hope to be captain of a 28 footer at least in the eyes of my moody and mutinous beagle of a crew. And also legally in the eyes of the Coast Guard. If I break it I bought it.

Grown up time, big time.
for EFT
have you voted today?

GlennWatson on April 18, 2011, 09:00:14 pm
I loved that last scene and the veiled threat from Black Mamba.  The professor seemed a little scared. 

But I am guessing the woman played her hand a bit to early.  She should never have given a warning that things were about to happen.  This is another example of incompetent Earth villainy. 

Of course villains explaining their evil plan just in time for the hero to thwart it is a typical comic book scenario. 

quadibloc on April 18, 2011, 10:10:09 pm
Ed refuses to see it as a military rank because maybe that legitimizes the whole government army thing.  But I believe Reggie used it for the man running the ship. Was that a job title,
I take it that he is objecting more to her manner than to her title.

GlennWatson on April 18, 2011, 10:20:00 pm
My understanding is that even current militaries (and for some centuries back) recognise the distinction between the rank and the job title - so that the commander of a military naval vessel is referred to as the "Captain" (i.e the job title) regardless of actual rank. And any military officer aboard with the actual rank of captain who isn't the vessel's commander receives a temporary "courtesy" promotion (so a naval captain would typically be addressed as "Commodore" while an army or marine captain would be called "Major") in order that there is only ever one person aboard who actually gets called "captain".

Is any of that true?  I have never heard anything like that.

SandySandfort on April 18, 2011, 11:44:43 pm
Ed refuses to see it as a military rank because maybe that legitimizes the whole government army thing.  But I believe Reggie used it for the man running the ship. Was that a job title,
I take it that he is objecting more to her manner than to her title.

Bingo.

spudit on April 19, 2011, 12:18:13 am
Yeah Glenn, the captain is the boss, able to perform weddings or hang mutineers as needed. But basically he or she is held responsible for the ship, crew, all that. A navy captain is equal to an army colonel and runs a big ship. A full commander is equal to a Lt. colonel and runs a smaller ship and on downward. JFK was a mere lieutenant in charge of a dozen guys on that PT boat, but he was The Captain. 

Jerry Lewis did some silly flick where he was a very junior officer somehow considered Captain of a destroyer which came up missing. He was frantic because he had signed for it, unless found the ship was coming out of his pay. It turned up in a most remarkable place.
for EFT
have you voted today?

quadibloc on April 19, 2011, 12:35:48 am
Is any of that true?  I have never heard anything like that.
Oh, yes. It's even made its way into some Star Trek episodes. Although I vaguely recall temporary demotions instead of promotions to avoid a second captain; maybe they just did it wrong to make it less confusing to a non-nautical audience.

spudit on April 19, 2011, 12:47:33 am
There was one episode early in the Next Regurgitation when young Wesley Crusher is appalled when Picard treats the captain of a mining shuttle small enough to park on the hanger deck as captain, which on his little ship, he was. Remember it, they crash land in some desert?
for EFT
have you voted today?

anything