dough560 on April 22, 2011, 02:55:44 am
We have at least three teams in this mess.  Rhonda with her goon squad.  Cpt Chang and the regulars.  The various flavors and involvement of the belters.  All focusing on Kate. 

As satisfying as as putting a bullet in Rhonda might be, such an action might cause her subordinates to murder Kate. 

To release Kate, while keeping his men and himself alive, Cpt Chang will have to do some careful planning.  The goon squad will be watching for him.  How it will play out in the unit will depend on Cpt Chang's leadership and his Non-Commissioned Officers.

Rhonda has already proven she will continue with her "activities" until she is stopped.  While I would like to see her in arbitration after this is over, a bullet will insure she will not cause further problems.  It just has to be done in such a way, she does not become a martyr in the UW.

GlennWatson on April 22, 2011, 07:43:04 am
Oh Mr. Sandfort.  You son of a gun.  This is the most frustrating cliffhanger yet.  Making us wait for two whole day to find out what will happen is the height of cruelty.  Now I hate AnCap even more than before.

Great story line!

Holt on April 22, 2011, 09:06:21 am
I'm surprised Chang simply can't refuse her orders or arrest her since she is violating UW law. This would mean that the UW must have emerged from the USA or some real shit hole of a country since there aren't regulations permitting that among their military.

happycrow on April 22, 2011, 09:17:03 am
I'm surprised Chang simply can't refuse her orders or arrest her since she is violating UW law. This would mean that the UW must have emerged from the USA or some real shit hole of a country since there aren't regulations permitting that among their military.

They've intentionally embedded a raw-meat brigade that's perfectly comfortable gang-raping a 12-year-old and distributing her diced body parts all over public places.  Yeah, I'd say they've changed.

GaTor on April 22, 2011, 10:22:25 am
Been awhile, but Rhonda's threat raised my hackles.  Anyway in  reviewing the comments on this thread several things come to mind.  Nothing in the UCMJ that I recall deals with jumping ranks aboard ship.  As with many things military, this is just an unwritten, but neccesary tradition.

@Xavin regarding the term "Skipper" , this too is an unwritten tradition.  However "Skipper" is an honorary title bestowed upon the beloved and respected Captain of a ship by the crew  or close associate.  It is NOT a universal title for a commanding officer and there are many ships captains who never earn this designation.
Hmmm interesting thought here:  Anyone recall an episode in which Kirk or Picard were referred to as "Skipper"?
Hmm There are many examples of these unwritten rules, one of the most outstanding would probably be the dichotomy in the military world of  "Dining In" and "Dining Out".   One is a rigidly formal, elegant and dignified affair.   The other, well it too is formal, is usually elegant but stretches the boundaries at times and while having the surface appearance of dignity is anything but.  The rules and traditions are unwritten vary wildy and are further confused by whether the attendees are Officers, NCOs, or a mixture of both... ummm even with a officer only affair the senior enlisted is usually present i.e. Command Sergeant Major.  Woe betide the junior Officer/NCO who steps outside the unwritten boundaries of these events, been known to end  careers.

Regarding Rhonda spilling her guts within the range of video and sound pickups, she no doubt has a personal scrambler which would make any recording of her conversation with Ed illegible.  This would be well within the bounds of the technology exhibited so far in EFT.

Rhonda could also be lying as to her threats, although having committed the physical act of kidnapping, whether or not the threats are real or just a bluff  is irrelevant.

One thing for sure, if it were my grand daughter, I'd have a hard time from going ballistic and heading for LEO.  Definitely be checking out the armory expecially Mr. Mossberg 12 ga.  And I'd put up my  S&W Model 19 .357 against that bitch's POS jammy  Mamba any day.

Great arc so far, dunno what Sandy's got planned but it is usually a suprise and will no doubt be elegant in execution. heheh. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:44:25 am by GaTor »
Go forth and do good.

SandySandfort on April 22, 2011, 11:40:12 am
Oh Mr. Sandfort.  You son of a gun.  This is the most frustrating cliffhanger yet.  Making us wait for two whole day to find out what will happen is the height of cruelty.  Now I hate AnCap even more than before.

Great story line!

Thank you. Unfortunately, you will have to wait through the side-story about the Ceres Centipede, a walking, running and climbing "coaster" ride...   ;)

SandySandfort on April 22, 2011, 12:03:01 pm
They've intentionally embedded a raw-meat brigade that's perfectly comfortable gang-raping a 12-year-old and distributing her diced body parts all over public places.  Yeah, I'd say they've changed.

'Taint legal, McGee, would certainly cover this situation. Unfortunately, in many militaries, creatures like these are all too common. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Rhonda's embedded crew were are all pommy bastards. The most vicious of which was a distant relative of the British murderer, Lieutenant Frederick Rothwell Holt.  ::)

Holt on April 22, 2011, 12:07:15 pm

Well the US military is perfectly happy with doing that sort of thing now. So just add what would inevitably happen if they tried to adopt policies like those of a European social democracy and we have the UW. Well ain't that fun.

Also neat Sandy. I didn't know about him. I took this name from the Epic 40K PC game that was released a while back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi3CzZjV0M
Now that is political officer done right.

Aardvark on April 22, 2011, 12:52:59 pm

Impressive, but Commissar Rhonda is easier on the eyes and has a better sense of humor. ;)

Holt on April 22, 2011, 01:10:43 pm

Impressive, but Commissar Rhonda is easier on the eyes and has a better sense of humor. ;)

Honestly the Imperium would be an anarchists greatest nightmare. An extremely oppressive theocratic tyranny, but its the good guy. The only reason it even exists is because there is no better option as all other options result in the death of our species. Tis a shame this aspect of it is rarely explored in the stories.

mellyrn on April 22, 2011, 02:07:30 pm
Honestly the Imperium would be an anarchists greatest nightmare. An extremely oppressive theocratic tyranny, but its the good guy. The only reason it even exists is because there is no better option as all other options result in the death of our species. Tis a shame this aspect of it is rarely explored in the stories.

I can appreciate the concept of "[a]n extremely oppressive theocratic tyranny, but its the good guy."  But I wonder what is its mechanism for preventing the psychopaths from taking over?  The ones who are willing to do anything, such as having a child raped and butchered just to have a pretext for war, to get what they want?  How long can the Imperium stay "the good guy"?

Holt on April 22, 2011, 02:29:19 pm
I can appreciate the concept of "[a]n extremely oppressive theocratic tyranny, but its the good guy."  But I wonder what is its mechanism for preventing the psychopaths from taking over?  The ones who are willing to do anything, such as having a child raped and butchered just to have a pretext for war, to get what they want?  How long can the Imperium stay "the good guy"?

Oh the Imperium does far worse than that on a daily basis. Every day millions die so trillions may live. Every day thousands of children are kidnapped so that they may be trained, brainwashed and have extremely dangerous genetic modification and surgery performed on them so that in the event they survive they can become better fighters for the Imperium. Worlds are killed because a portion of its population knew things it shouldn't.
The Imperium is a monster. There's just no better option because every alien race is out to kill humanity and if left unchecked humanity will die by its own hand at the behest of extradimensional beings.

quadibloc on April 22, 2011, 03:32:00 pm
Oh the Imperium does far worse than that on a daily basis. Every day millions die so trillions may live. Every day thousands of children are kidnapped so that they may be trained, brainwashed and have extremely dangerous genetic modification and surgery performed on them so that in the event they survive they can become better fighters for the Imperium. Worlds are killed because a portion of its population knew things it shouldn't.
The Imperium is a monster. There's just no better option because every alien race is out to kill humanity and if left unchecked humanity will die by its own hand at the behest of extradimensional beings.
It doesn't sound like an entertaining story to me. One hopes that reality isn't that bad, but in any case, that sort of thing seems quite the opposite of escapism.

Holt on April 22, 2011, 03:53:46 pm
The Warhammer 40K setting is exactly that. A setting. There's hundreds of stories been published set there. But to put it simply the whole setting is best described by its tagline: "In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only war"

In its own way it's actually a very good setting and has proven rather popular worldwide through the tabletop game it was made for which has branched into books, comics, video games (the Dawn of War series especially), roleplaying games and more.
It coined the term grimdark.

But in a scenario where everything is out to kill humanity? I highly doubt even an anarchist could say there is a future for us in anarchy.

GaTor on April 23, 2011, 12:46:50 am

Well the US military is perfectly happy with doing that sort of thing now. So just add what would inevitably happen if they tried to adopt policies like those of a European social democracy and we have the UW. Well ain't that fun.

Oh really?  So how many military people do you personaly know that are perfectly happy with "that sort of thing"?  I'm a 20 year vet and I can count on one hand the military people I have known who would be complacent with that kind of crap.  Know what?  Based on your comment, I think you're a bigot.  You fall into that same type of mindset of the KKK who are comfortable with the use of word "nigger" and would have no problem if it's counterpart (babykiller/raper etc.)   were it to be applied to the men and women of the armed forces. 

Thing is, there are aberations and monsters in every segment of society.  Here's a little factoid, due to the rigid standards or the US armed forces there are far fewer incidences of crime per capita as compared to the civilian population.   

You don't agree?   Prove me wrong..but you can't.  Here's another truth. one of the main faults of our society is that people cannot or will not admit that they are wrong.  How about you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:49:31 am by GaTor »
Go forth and do good.