SandySandfort on April 25, 2011, 10:09:31 am
Keep on waving, you make it believable and fun.

Damn! The Forum software does not provide a "gracious bow" emoticon.  :)

Holt on April 25, 2011, 04:13:49 pm

Edit: Don't forget, the "president" of the UW has already shown that he's willing to IGNORE/DEFY his government's own laws when they don't do what he wants.  "We need a new legal department....  Smarten up, this needs to be done on the QT."

I don't remember that from the comic strip. Are you perhaps mixing it up with President GW Bush of the USA?

No like most anarchists he thinks anything more organised than one person means that one person is dictating every action everyone takes.

sam on April 25, 2011, 11:09:04 pm
No like most anarchists he thinks anything more organised than one person means that one person is dictating every action everyone takes.

Most anarcho capitalist favor something like the corporate form of organization - many organizations, each with a single leader, the CEO, which leader has complete authority over his organization, complete except for the rather drastic limitation that anyone can leave at any time, and the board can fire CEO at any time for any reason or no reason.

State organizations tend to disperse authority throughout a multitude of people even when they are nominally dictatorships, which dispersal makes their operations not democratic, but rather chaotic, inefficient, corrupt, and opaque.

Bob G on April 25, 2011, 11:19:45 pm

Edit: Don't forget, the "president" of the UW has already shown that he's willing to IGNORE/DEFY his government's own laws when they don't do what he wants.  "We need a new legal department....  Smarten up, this needs to be done on the QT."

I don't remember that from the comic strip. Are you perhaps mixing it up with President GW Bush of the USA?

Page 106, upper R/H panel.
Whatsoever, for any cause, seeketh to take or give
  Power above or beyond the Laws, suffer it not to live.
Holy State, or Holy King, or Holy People's Will.
  Have no truck with the senseless thing, order the guns and kill.

The penultimate stanza of Rudyard Kipling's MacDonough's Song

Scott on April 25, 2011, 11:50:09 pm
Most anarcho capitalist favor something like the corporate form of organization - many organizations, each with a single leader,

Really? Has a poll been taken? I'd love to see it.

What I prefer to see are a great variety of different types of organizations, in different configurations to suit different circumstances and/or different preferences of those involved. The only "requirement" being that participation be voluntary. Without a central authority with its rules and regs dictating structure, I expect that people will invent all manner of organizational structures, most of which we'd never think of in the current context.

J Thomas on April 26, 2011, 12:11:19 am

Page 106, upper R/H panel.

Thank you! I'd forgotten that. He was some kind of "high commissioner".

Azure Priest on April 26, 2011, 07:10:02 am
You assume this involves the UW president

I'm assuming nothing.  I'm merely pointing out that if the HIGHEST government official is willing to ignore the laws, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the lower echelons might do the same.

@ J Thomas, No I don't recall George W. Bush breaking his own laws, but I DO know "good old Barry" does and quite frequently.  I can point to several examples of his "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

Holt on April 26, 2011, 10:46:19 am
You assume this involves the UW president

I'm assuming nothing.  I'm merely pointing out that if the HIGHEST government official is willing to ignore the laws, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the lower echelons might do the same.

@ J Thomas, No I don't recall George W. Bush breaking his own laws, but I DO know "good old Barry" does and quite frequently.  I can point to several examples of his "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

How do you know he is? Poor guy could be the only honest man in government