quadibloc on April 15, 2011, 03:10:21 pm
Somewhat similarly, our ruling elite was was utterly horrified by Coulter's plan to turn Muslims into Christians with gunpoint assisted evangelism, but cannot comprehend why any Muslim might be unhappy with our current plan to turn them into progressives with gunpoint assisted evangelism.
Like them, I'm horrified at the first. Unlike them, I have no problem comprehending about the second. But I might do it anyways, perhaps for a different value of "progressive" than the one you're thinking of, on the grounds that it would be easier to get away with than genocide - if I have to. But I think a better way can be found before it comes to that.

J Thomas on April 15, 2011, 04:48:41 pm
Somewhat similarly, our ruling elite was was utterly horrified by Coulter's plan to turn Muslims into Christians with gunpoint assisted evangelism, but cannot comprehend why any Muslim might be unhappy with our current plan to turn them into progressives with gunpoint assisted evangelism.
Like them, I'm horrified at the first. Unlike them, I have no problem comprehending about the second. But I might do it anyways, perhaps for a different value of "progressive" than the one you're thinking of, on the grounds that it would be easier to get away with than genocide - if I have to. But I think a better way can be found before it comes to that.

I don't think you can turn muslims or christians into "progressives" etc at gunpoint. You can maybe turn them into wormfood.

It's cheaper and better to just buy stuff they have for sale, and help them find stuff to sell, and sell them pretty much whatever they want to buy. The richer they get the more "progressive" they'll get on average, for some value of "progressive". We don't have to do anything in particular to get this result, it's a side effect of free markets.

But I expect that will have limited results, because people generally want meaning in their lives, and US mass culture does not provide much meaning. There isn't a whole lot of meaning in being a consumer. Lots of comfortable people take up religion because they feel a great big lack.

Holt on April 15, 2011, 05:25:30 pm
This is something that would be a problem in an anarchist world. Meaning. Religion would a fucking easy time picking up people.
No organised groups to work towards furthering the race as a whole would mean you'd have a lot of very bored people who ordinarily would contribute to humanity as part of a larger entity. Since anarchists hate structure, you'd have religion sweeping the masses like a plague.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on April 15, 2011, 06:28:04 pm
My estimate is that if the US had been anarcho capitalist, it would have lost to Hitler, but an anarcho capitalist America with nuclear weapons would have survived and outlasted its major enemies.

If the US had been anarcho-capitalist, it's people, by and large, wouldn't have gotten involved in WWII in the first place.  A few would probably decided to join in, probably some on each side.

spudit on April 15, 2011, 07:36:39 pm
Locked because it is done.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?