Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 01:19:43 pm
Quoting myself from the other thread:

...On the dairy-meat prohibition, I guess all the fuss comes from this:

Exod 23:19, Exod 34:26, Deut 14:21
     It is forbidden to boil a kid (young goat) in its mother's milk.

This is said three times and to me seems pretty specific. I don't quite understand how we get to the Orthodox practice of two different china patterns, two different silverware patterns and two dishwashers installed in the kitchen.

For bonus food taboo, Chez Trief could use a meat patty made of venison. Both Muslims and Jews have rules for the proper killin' of meat animals that pretty much prohibit hunting. Although I'd recommend a patty of mixed beef and venison just so it was taboo to Hindus also.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 01:21:57 pm
Actually finding a goat with a kid in the belt and butchering the kid and milking the goat just to pull it all together in one dish sounds pretty extravagant. A Chef's Special for sure.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 01:28:44 pm
What wouldn't be on the menu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_daily_ration

not just no pork, no meat at all. The wet nap is alcohol free.

Vegetable shortening.

The red pepper and black pepper are in a separate bag, I assume this is acceptable to the Adventists, as they consider these stimulants.

They've even changed the color of the package so they no longer match unexploded cluster bombs.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 01:38:38 pm
The bacon cheeseburger, the all-around offender. This would probably go on the "gram of silver" menu.

Make the patty out of veal and venison, import the bacon from Earth, and I think you've got Jews, Muslims, Vegan, anti-factory farmers, Hindu,  Locavarians, and Catholics on good Friday all covered.

Kick it up a notch with your spice weasel, and add a BBQ sauce made from bourbon to offend the Muslims again and the Adventists.

Serve it with a Jolt cola to piss off the sxe crowd.

J Thomas on March 17, 2011, 02:26:34 pm
The bacon cheeseburger, the all-around offender. This would probably go on the "gram of silver" menu.

Make the patty out of veal and venison, import the bacon from Earth, and I think you've got Jews, Muslims, Vegan, anti-factory farmers, Hindu,  Locavarians, and Catholics on good Friday all covered.

Kick it up a notch with your spice weasel, and add a BBQ sauce made from bourbon to offend the Muslims again and the Adventists.

Serve it with a Jolt cola to piss off the sxe crowd.

Add a layer of termites and earthworms and you'll offend most of the Americans.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 03:11:19 pm

I've had grasshoppers in chex mix and mealworms in jello shooters.

The one food I'll never eat again is sea urchin (as Uni Sushi). Oh, that was the most disgusting slimy thing ever!

J Thomas on March 17, 2011, 03:48:47 pm

I've had grasshoppers in chex mix and mealworms in jello shooters.

The one food I'll never eat again is sea urchin (as Uni Sushi). Oh, that was the most disgusting slimy thing ever!

Good thought! Boiled okra, anybody?

SandySandfort on March 17, 2011, 05:06:47 pm
You all have come up with good reasons for and against certain foods for the Chez Treif (correct spelling).  The concept of "treif" and other forbidden foods is pretty much in the eyes of the beholder. So Chez Treif could serve just about anything and it would be forbidden by some group, somewhere.

I was thinking about this the other day and came up with the almost universally forbidden food--"long pork." That dish may come up in a future arc. Of course, it will only be human flesh that has be cultured in vitro. Real people DNA, but never actually part of a living human. And--because of life extension technologies--much easier to obtain than Soylent Green.   

This could create a "celebrity flesh" fad. One could eat a "Brad Burger" for example. (Put me down for some Angelina barbecued ribs. Yum!) Or, you could eat yourself or a loved one.  The possibilities are endless.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 06:17:33 pm
You all have come up with good reasons for and against certain foods for the Chez Treif (correct spelling). 

Well, I'd like to report a spelling error in the transcript of page 633.

Also, while on the topic of minor errors, I guess Reggie can guess the future hair color of his bride-to-be from a HIPPA violation in page 654 panel 3.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 06:31:32 pm
Kick it up a notch with your spice weasel

You know, if there really was a spice weasel, peta would be against it.

My fave prohibition though is "Bee Slavery".  Avoided and condemned by level 5 vegans of Dirt First!.

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on March 17, 2011, 07:48:04 pm
I was thinking about this the other day and came up with the almost universally forbidden food--"long pork."

Well, millions of Roman Catholics claim to do it on a regular basis.  :D

NeitherRuleNorBeRuled on March 17, 2011, 07:54:19 pm
All you can eat hot dogs (beef/pork blend) absolutely must be a Friday special.

There must also be fois gras available, and (properly prepared) fugu.

Also, Kinder Surprise eggs as part of the kid's meals.

wdg3rd on March 17, 2011, 07:57:09 pm
I was thinking about this the other day and came up with the almost universally forbidden food--"long pork."

Well, millions of Roman Catholics claim to do it on a regular basis.  :D

Yup, La Esposa is higher on the food chain than I am.  I'll eat just about anything, but she's a lapsed catholic who has eaten the flesh of G-D hisself.

I tried it once, but it tasted like a stale cracker.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

spudit on March 17, 2011, 08:41:21 pm
I admit catching myself munching a generic Milkbone in absent minded moments. Like he doesn't get enough of my food to even it out.
Wooph!
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on March 17, 2011, 09:00:25 pm
You all have come up with good reasons for and against certain foods for the Chez Treif (correct spelling). 

Well, I'd like to report a spelling error in the transcript of page 633.

Yeah, I already mentioned it to Scott. Maybe he'll fix it now.  :)

Also, while on the topic of minor errors, I guess Reggie can guess the future hair color of his bride-to-be from a HIPPA violation in page 654 panel 3.

I have no idea what HIPPA means.

anything