SandySandfort on May 04, 2011, 09:19:36 am
Oh and I've had access to, oh, a few different IP addresses at work so I've been voting several times a day. That's A-OK by the rules BTW.

It's okay by my rules, as well. Thanks!

quadibloc on May 04, 2011, 06:50:05 pm
Now what's going to happen to Ms. Black Mamba?  Will she get a courtsmartial since she was defying what appears to be standing UW orders by firing ON CAMERA at an unarmed civilian?
It's not clear what will happen to her, but I think we'll find out quickly.

My concern is what will happen to Chang. I would consider it very foolish of him to return to Earth. Just because he can say he acted according to the book is not really protection as his actions were unhelpful to the intent of the rulers of the UW. Repressive regimes are not known for being "governments of laws and not men".

GlennWatson on May 04, 2011, 08:59:16 pm
It's not clear what will happen to her, but I think we'll find out quickly.

I agree, if by quickly you mean three of four weeks.

Apollo-Soyuz on May 04, 2011, 10:06:18 pm
It's okay by my rules, as well. Thanks!

We'll see how long this assignment lasts. Need permanent employment.

Hmm.  Is that "gaming", really?  A simple count of "those who like this item" gives us one sort of information. 

I think I pumped about 70 votes into the system last month, which will move you quite far in the rankings. It's all within the rules, but I wanted to see what one person could do. The average person does not have easy access to more than one or two IP addresses, so strips that appeal to the tech-literate, I would guess would rank higher.

Still, you are more than welcome to vote from home and from work, (unless you're a hater, then you can vote for every strip except EFT to dilute the votes down).

But if somebody has access to, say, 100 IP addresses and he has the skills to set up a bot to vote automaticly 100 times a day until he says stop, that looks to me like gaming the system.

There is a captcha, but it's easy for a human to solve. Still, I'd not likely do a hundred per day. I've never seen a repeat, but I suppose you could script something so you would only have to solve it once. Efficiently switching between 100 IP addresses would also take some skillz. I doubt a hundred repetitions `ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 45 ; ifconfig eth0 up` is really going to happen, and hand moving the cable would be a PITA.

I also have to wonder if they really would accept 255 votes, all coming in between 5:01 PM and 5:13 PM from 10.10.10.0/24 in numerical order for the same comic.

GlennWatson on May 06, 2011, 06:43:23 am
We are seeing a rookie mistake and a strange one when you think about it. 

This is a comic strip.  It uses pictures and words.  In that way comics are like movies.  Why would the creator ignore the use of pictures and simply describe the entire climatic scene expos facto?

This method seems lazy and rushed, worse it takes away all the drama and turns the strip into nothing more than a dry history lesson.  This method satisfies our curiosity about what happened but does not thrill us with the opportunity of seeing it happen.  Imagine if the fight scene in Rocky had been described by the recently awakened Apollo Creed rather that filming the actual fight.  Imagine if any climatic scene in a movie or comic was simply described later rather than shown as it happened.  This method works better in a novel but in an art form with pictures its a big mistake.

I am frankly disappointed and this is not just an issue of different people liking different things, like with the roller coaster incident.  This is a real flaw in the story I am quantified to point out due to long experience with this art form.

J Thomas on May 06, 2011, 09:00:39 am

This is a comic strip.  It uses pictures and words.  In that way comics are like movies.  Why would the creator ignore the use of pictures and simply describe the entire climatic scene expos facto?

My first thought is to agree with you.

But let's wait and see. Maybe there's a more important climax coming that would leave too much attention on this one feeling like premature ejaculation.

spudit on May 06, 2011, 09:08:43 am
Chaing is an OK guy after all.

But Rhonda, if her minions went AWOL to the compost bin, what of her. My, won't she and Ed have a nice little chat soon. Will little Kate whack her like Harris, or will her parents or will Ed. They all have a claim.

What did we really miss after the shooting Glenn, a bunch of guys jumping on her and her arrest or detention. I don't need to see it in pictures, I get it fine.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on May 06, 2011, 09:51:56 am
I am frankly disappointed and this is not just an issue of different people liking different things, like with the roller coaster incident.  This is a real flaw in the story I am quantified to point out due to long experience with this art form.

First, this is an adaptation from prose stories. I think Scott and the artists have done very well in the adaptation, but if you want to see how the prose reads, check out Amazon for Adventures in Human Space.

Second, let's face it, the strip is intended to get you to buy the EFT book. You can buy the book or defeat our nefarious plan simply by exercising some patience and only reading once a week or once a month, whatever.

Third, you are only "qualified" to give your opinion. I doubt your "long experience with this art form" is not as a creator of comics. Which brings us back again to nothing more than your personal preferences. If people have paid you to write comics or other fiction, please send us the URL. Otherwise, I think it is presumptuous of you to claim any sort of "qualifications" other than as an avid reader. Of course, every reader can make his own subjective assessments, but using words like "flaw," as though your personal preferences are holy writ, is way beyond your pay grade.

mellyrn on May 06, 2011, 09:54:34 am
This is a real flaw in the story I am quantified to point out due to long experience with this art form.

(How does one get "quantified to comment"?)

If it's such a disappointment, don't read it.  Your displeasure, expressed over and over, indicates that you are wasting your own time, reading what does not please.  Then you compound the wastage by reexperiencing your displeasure verbally in the forum, so you get the dysphoria at least twice over.

Honest critiquing does not limit itself to commenting on flaws, but notes the features as well.  An honest critic who honestly only finds flaws will stop torturing himself and quit reading. 

Humans, being social animals, evaluate other members of the community all the time (not always well, it's true).  Your behavior re criticism here leaves me figuring you for a creative wannabe.  It's as though you read for the dubious fun of finding stuff to shoot down.  Even once saying, "I really like [insert EFT trait here]", would earn you honest-critic cred.

GlennWatson on May 06, 2011, 10:21:41 am
Second, let's face it, the strip is intended to get you to buy the EFT book.

I see.  Now it makes sense.  Its not a flaw just a calculated marketing ploy.  I should have known.

quadibloc on May 06, 2011, 10:35:50 am
First, this is an adaptation from prose stories. I think Scott and the artists have done very well in the adaptation, but if you want to see how the prose reads, check out Amazon for Adventures in Human Space.
While I may not be able to run out and buy a copy immediately, it is going to be something I keep in mind to do eventually.

It seemed to me that there's a logical flaw in the comic, since Ed has just awoken from being shot, and he is recalling a rescue mission - that presumably succeeded, and eliminated the need for the farce of distracting Rhonda, after he went out there with mask and dancing girls. However, that's apparently because I made a false assumption about the time sequence of events initially - instead, for some reason, Rhonda needed to be distracted after Kate was rescued.

SandySandfort on May 06, 2011, 01:21:18 pm
Humans, being social animals, evaluate other members of the community all the time (not always well, it's true).  Your behavior re criticism here leaves me figuring you for a creative wannabe.

To be honest, Glenn Watson has expressed some positive thoughts,* though I think your analysis is still spot on. Readers are readers, but when they become posters, I think the percentage of creative wannabes goes way up. I think that is fine. The more creativity in the world, the better. Of course for there to be more creativity, the wannabes must convert their desire into action.

There are a number of people on this list who have both the desire and the ability to be writers. I will leave you to figure out whose those people may be. Note, these are not necessarily people who follow the EFT "party line." Talent is talent. It is how one expresses oneself that is the mark of a good writer.

So the forum has true contributors and it has trolls.

Some of both categories are wannabe writers. The onces who may make it, pay attention, make well-reasoned comments and are succinct and focused in their writing. The also strive to us correct grammar and spelling use obviously take pains to use the write words and to respect their denotations and connotations.

The trolls vary from just the cynical to the pathological, who fear and hate anyone else's accomplishments, because they (correctly) see it as an indictment of their pathetic inability to connect with others or create anything of value.

* True, Glenn Watson has been kicked off numerous fora. To be honest I cannot imagine why. Yeah, he can be annoying and he has, from time to time, gotten under my skin. However, but he hasn't done anything nearly bad enough to get him kicked off the Forum, and he has made positive contributions to our discussions. Big Head Press is probably more tolerant than some, but unless Glenn Watson was a lot worst in the past, the other forum admins must have been a bunch of very thin-skinned, overly-sensitive, PC wusses.

SandySandfort on May 06, 2011, 01:23:53 pm
Second, let's face it, the strip is intended to get you to buy the EFT book.

I see.  Now it makes sense.  Its not a flaw just a calculated marketing ploy.  I should have known.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;D

SandySandfort on May 06, 2011, 01:30:25 pm
While I may not be able to run out and buy a copy immediately, it is going to be something I keep in mind to do eventually.

It seemed to me that there's a logical flaw in the comic, since Ed has just awoken from being shot, and he is recalling a rescue mission - that presumably succeeded, and eliminated the need for the farce of distracting Rhonda, after he went out there with mask and dancing girls. However, that's apparently because I made a false assumption about the time sequence of events initially - instead, for some reason, Rhonda needed to be distracted after Kate was rescued.

Ed must have had an out of body experience...

No, just assume that Chang was not Ed's first visitor. No one would have let Chang in until Ed's friends and co-conspirators had had a chance to see how he was doing and to fill him in on the actual rescue. But still a good pickup, Q. :)

J Thomas on May 06, 2011, 06:05:22 pm
I guess they could be anywhere by now ....

That's so beautiful. Like Chang just completely missed the point....