macsnafu on March 29, 2011, 12:56:08 pm
Most of anything is crap, sad to say.

The songs we'd hear on a classic rock station today are not anything near what was actually broadcast from say 1965 to 1975. The very vast majority were and remain pretty much filler. Classical too, we remember maybe an average of 100 pieces each from, to pick a round approximate number, say 100 major composers. Thats out of 2 or 3 centuries of work.

Wasn't it Theodore Sturgeon who said that 90% of everything is crap?  So you're a fan of whatever genre you like the 90% in, even if you like the 10% of all or most other genres.   ;-)
Personally, music seems to be a game of pattern recognition, and some things simply take longer to grasp than others.  There's a certain range that people tend to like between what they're familiar with and what is novel.

I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

spudit on March 29, 2011, 04:33:17 pm
Pattern recognition, good point macsnafu.

Me, I need complex music, Bach, insturmental bluegrass, big band, good rock, anything with layers and interrelations. For a long time it has been Jerome John Garcia and friends.

I've got 3 brothers who also like The Dead. One, the stodgy republican pilar of community type one, will fast forward through the long complex jams, noise to him. True, on an off day, can be. The other less conformist ones and I like them fine. Yet he'll listen to accapella singing all day long, nasty noise to me. Lately for me good old Chicago Blues, complex music and deep words too.

Rap, boring, no complexity, just someone reciting bad poetry next to an air compressor. Some musician's grandfather must be deeply disapointed. As in, that's it?

Opinions there, got one just the other thing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:36:23 pm by spudit »
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Apollo-Soyuz on March 29, 2011, 06:32:06 pm
I see echos of the system used in Pallas in the EFT rejuv.

I know I've read the whole series at least twice, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 29, 2011, 06:35:16 pm
Uh oh, they locked my thread. You know, the one I created when another thread went OT. 

Since this was a thread that was a branch created off my thread, you know what happens next....

spudit on March 29, 2011, 07:26:09 pm
Pallas by L Neil Smith, the adventures of Emerson Ngu on said asteroid?

They have a tank machine that reads and maybe corrects your genetic blueprint to see what it is supposed to be like, then rebuilds you to the original specifications.

The thread was a mercy killing, it went weird places.
for EFT
have you voted today?

Plane on March 29, 2011, 11:15:06 pm
There must be some limit to how much the Nanobots can rebuild a body, I would guess that too much change would cause the original person to be lost entirely, if that happened more than a few times rejuv would become unpopular.

That's not the way it is expected to work. Life extension will only do thing such as removing plaque from arteries, remove kruft from mitochondria and lengthening telomeres. That doesn't change who "you" are any more than doesshedding skin.

So it isn't a mere reset button.

Is Kruft a medical term?

You send me to search mode all the time.

quadibloc on March 30, 2011, 12:09:01 am
Is Kruft a medical term?
No. Is meant "cruft", slang term for garbage, junk, detritus.

macsnafu on March 30, 2011, 10:20:31 am
Pattern recognition, good point macsnafu.

Me, I need complex music, Bach, insturmental bluegrass, big band, good rock, anything with layers and interrelations. For a long time it has been Jerome John Garcia and friends.

Rap, boring, no complexity, just someone reciting bad poetry next to an air compressor. Some musician's grandfather must be deeply disapointed. As in, that's it?

At the risk of going OT...
Rap, blues, heavy metal all tend to be too repetitive and boring.  I like  good pop with its formulaic structure, but I'm also big on classic prog rock (like Genesis and Yes) and artists like Christopher Cross and Steely Dan.  I really got into smooth jazz for a while, but while it's better than some, it takes some effort to keep it out of a slump or rut.  I like Bob James and Brian Culbertson from the smooth jazz genre.  I've explored some older jazz, but don't have any really strong opinions on it.  Brand X had some good jazz/rock fusion.
Yes I listen to some classical, especially Mozart and Bach.  There's something very mathematical about good Baroque. 
And I listen to a few other odd things.  Michael Gulezian is a great acoustic guitarist--not quite classical, but in that direction.   Ned Lagin only did one album, Seastones, but it's really great for electronic music.  Solar Fields is also quite interesting--not pure electronic/ambient, but in that direction.   Another interesting band I've discovered is called Tortoise.  They're hard to classify, and that's part of what makes them interesting.

spudit on March 30, 2011, 11:07:32 am
Good Gods, you like, have heard, when no one has even heard of, Seastones? Impressed.

Abstract art, I have heard of but not heard Greyfolded, a nearly 2 hour version of Dark Star. On the list.

Call it proto-metal but the early Hawkwind, some of it writen and preformed by SF writer Michael Moorcock might suit.

And Floyd, always Floyd from the Roger Waters era. Once, only, never again, I played just part of Animals out loud with the Quality Control Beagle in the cabin with me, Once.
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on March 30, 2011, 11:14:36 am
Failed Rejuv Alert
Failed Rejuv Alert
His Beard Fell Off
Any other parts missing too?

OK, I have seen this before, the actor who played Reggie demanded a raise or else, so...
for EFT
have you voted today?

quadibloc on March 30, 2011, 11:22:37 am
I am shocked at Reggie's new appearance! He was such a handsome older man. Now, he is younger, and has an admirable physique... but why did he give himself such an ugly face?

I know this is... tendentious. But for whatever reason, while Sov. King had dark skin, his ancestry did not give him the common facial features of people from some parts of Africa - a broad nose and thick lips. I would have tended to suspect that even in a society where race doesn't mean what it does now - that being black doesn't make others think of poverty, crime, and a lack of education - people's ideas of attractive facial features still tend to result from imprinting on their parents, and a special case such as that of Asian features is not applicable in this case.

He is young and healthy... but less good-looking, I think, even in that future age, to the typical Caucasian.

I doubt this is a big deal, but it can affect people. (It may be his past that made him decide not to look exactly the way he did when he was younger, of course...)

Mind you, we still haven't seen what Babette has done to herself...

spudit on March 30, 2011, 11:29:44 am
Agreed, because,
A, Olde guys STILL rule.
B, He looks taller.
C, His face is wider.
therefore, they hired a different actor.

So who will be the first to cut and paste a side by side old new Reggie?
Or maybe he is or was on the lam?
Had old Reggie's face been tinkered with.

At least he is still black and male, maybe Babbette had secret gender issues, kinky.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:33:25 am by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?

macsnafu on March 30, 2011, 02:04:39 pm
Good Gods, you like, have heard, when no one has even heard of, Seastones? Impressed.

Abstract art, I have heard of but not heard Greyfolded, a nearly 2 hour version of Dark Star. On the list.

Call it proto-metal but the early Hawkwind, some of it writen and preformed by SF writer Michael Moorcock might suit.

And Floyd, always Floyd from the Roger Waters era. Once, only, never again, I played just part of Animals out loud with the Quality Control Beagle in the cabin with me, Once.

I like checking out the bargain bins, pawn shops and thrift stores for music and videos.  If it's cheap enough and interesting enough, it might actually be worth it. Sometimes you'll find real treasures.  That's how I found Seastones on cassette.  I also found a copy (on 8-track tape!) of the 1977 Hawkwind album,  Quark, Strangeness and Charm.  Fun album, but not so metal-ish as the ealier stuff.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 30, 2011, 03:38:47 pm
Agreed, because,
A, Olde guys STILL rule.
B, He looks taller.
C, His face is wider.
therefore, they hired a different actor.

So who will be the first to cut and paste a side by side old new Reggie?
Or maybe he is or was on the lam?
Had old Reggie's face been tinkered with.

At least he is still black and male, maybe Babbette had secret gender issues, kinky.

compare "Joe King"   page=312
with today   page=668

No real radical changes, I'm not sure who drew what though. Wider face to hide from the UW? So far Reggie hasn't seemed concerned about a price on his head.

I'd wonder if looking like he's 29 years old would have an impact on his Arbitration profession.

--

>When you are ready, I will take you to join your wife.

I don't know what that quote from the technician meant, unless Babbette decided to become a T-man...

spudit on March 30, 2011, 04:32:14 pm
Or lack of paperwork.

Really now, when the groom is the preacher and the judge and probably the justice of the peace, who's left? I know, Sov Rosenberg is a clergyman of his faith in his spare time too, still.

No telling what cultural splinter group runs the clinic. I'm rooting for the retro Marilyn Monroe look myself.
for EFT
have you voted today?

anything