macsnafu on March 25, 2011, 08:52:15 am
And that's legal?

No, It's not illegal.

I love that little bit of exchange.  It subtly exposes a typical flaw in statist thinking--that what is legal is "endorsed", and what is not endorsed should be illegal.  That opens up the door to government-regulation of just about everything, and throws civil society right out the window, or airlock, as the case may be.

I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

spudit on March 25, 2011, 12:01:14 pm
Remember all, the D in federal government is silent.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

macsnafu on March 25, 2011, 12:28:54 pm
Remember all, the D in federal government is silent.

It took me a second, but I got it, I got it!  But I really don't think they're as stealthy or agile as a cat...
I love mankind.  It's PEOPLE I can't stand!  - Linus Van Pelt.

spudit on March 25, 2011, 01:36:16 pm
I looked it up just to double check, not just cats.
Feral
adjective
1. existing in a natural state, as animals or plants; not domesticated or cultivated; wild.
2. having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication: a pack of feral dogs roaming the woods.
3. of or characteristic of wild animals; ferocious; brutal

1 is Ed and the rest on Ceres, a noble goal.
2 mostly and 3, are what I meant.

Someone call the dogcatcher.

I have a fix for DC.
A remove the civilians, kids and national treasures.
B return it to it's native state, a swamp.
C release alligators.

I see at least one cable channel outa this one.
for EFT
have you voted today?

quadibloc on March 25, 2011, 08:03:13 pm
Some of us think it's unfortunate that too much music of the present isn't even that good.
Well, yes, that's true. I am one of those who thinks that way.

Although some of the music I don't enjoy is still inherently good enough - made by people with talent and ability - but it just has a surface that is unacceptable to my taste. After all, I did not enjoy the first few hits by which the Beatles came to our attention... but they had much later music that I found worthwhile.

spudit on March 26, 2011, 12:08:45 am
Most of anything is crap, sad to say.

The songs we'd hear on a classic rock station today are not anything near what was actually broadcast from say 1965 to 1975. The very vast majority were and remain pretty much filler. Classical too, we remember maybe an average of 100 pieces each from, to pick a round approximate number, say 100 major composers. Thats out of 2 or 3 centuries of work.

Time does tell.

A recovering deadhead, I got into The Blues in the last few years, what with Jerry being dead and all. Now that's keeper music.

So far anyway.
for EFT
have you voted today?

Scott on March 26, 2011, 11:25:25 am
I guess my lyrics must be pretty bad if they're getting the smack-down in TWO forums.

>Hangs head in shame, goes back to bed.<

j/k

quadibloc on March 28, 2011, 12:07:38 am
I see we've gone back to Mars for a peek at Reggie and Babette. That's good, because we were wondering what would become of them. But I see that Babette made it to rejuv, so Reggie's driving couldn't have been that bad.

And here I was being genre savvy and expecting a cliche...

Plane on March 28, 2011, 11:01:34 am
There must be some limit to how much the Nanobots can rebuild a body, I would guess that too much change would cause the original person to be lost entirely, if that happened more than a few times rejuv would become unpopular.

SandySandfort on March 28, 2011, 01:03:40 pm
There must be some limit to how much the Nanobots can rebuild a body, I would guess that too much change would cause the original person to be lost entirely, if that happened more than a few times rejuv would become unpopular.

That's not the way it is expected to work. Life extension will only do thing such as removing plaque from arteries, remove kruft from mitochondria and lengthening telomeres. That doesn't change who "you" are any more than doesshedding skin.

quadibloc on March 28, 2011, 05:21:04 pm
That's not the way it is expected to work. Life extension will only do thing such as removing plaque from arteries, remove kruft from mitochondria and lengthening telomeres. That doesn't change who "you" are any more than doesshedding skin.
Quite right. As long as the nanobots tread very carefully when working on the brain, there should be no problem. Also, not rewriting one's DNA is a good idea if one is planning to have children.

mellyrn on March 28, 2011, 06:59:40 pm
Nanobots can do what they're told to do.  If we don't know to tell them, then they won't.  There might be more to aging than what the programmers imagine; as, a century ago (my time), someone doing life-extension technology wouldn't know, say, to extend telomeres.  In the EFT world I expect that, after a while, neglected aspects would show up as people are partially rejuvenated.  Some aspects may be readily addressed by the bots, and others might remain medical mysteries for some time.  Still, that might not be Sandy's story to tell.  If "rejuv" is a background issue in EFT, I'm cool with that.

wdg3rd on March 28, 2011, 07:40:37 pm
Quite right. As long as the nanobots tread very carefully when working on the brain, there should be no problem. Also, not rewriting one's DNA is a good idea if one is planning to have children.

Depends on whether you're planning on inflicting on your kids some of the "gifts" your parents gave you.  Diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis are a couple of the reasons I chose not to breed.  With a bit of editing I could have healthy kids.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

spudit on March 29, 2011, 10:50:32 am
Gene pools and puddles.

Lady on the bus yesterday commented on the cute baby someone had aboard.

Says I, in my family if the kid has only one head we throw a party, if it's on the right end it's a BIG party.

She thought I was kidding.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:13:54 am by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on March 29, 2011, 10:52:40 am
I see echos of the system used in Pallas in the EFT rejuv.

And thanks for the fast forward, I suppose Ceres is firmly under UW control by now, or not.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:31:47 am by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?