SandySandfort on May 03, 2011, 07:54:23 am
Did I miss something?

There was a snafu on posting the strips. Just go backwards ("Prev. Strip") to pick up anything you may have missed.

I will note in passing that as of a few minutes ago, EFT is the 81st most popular strip on Top Comics. In the recent past it was hovering in the high 90s. So, it is clear to me that what you folks like is sex and violence (but not romance).  ::)

I'll see what I can do.

happycrow on May 03, 2011, 08:03:36 am
Judging by the forum comments, I think they like the politics.   ;D

spudit on May 03, 2011, 09:47:05 am
Text showing up in Russian, Cyrilc Alphabet and all. Probably automated.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

GlennWatson on May 03, 2011, 09:59:03 am
OK it looks to me like this is what happened.  Black Mamba got a phone call which upset her. She shoots Ed.  Ed wakes up and everything seems fine.

I assume you will go back and fill us in but I am curious as to why you would do it that way?

SandySandfort on May 03, 2011, 10:13:44 am
Judging by the forum comments, I think they like the politics.   ;D

Yeah, but the readers vote for sex and violence. Hmm, I wonder why...

SandySandfort on May 03, 2011, 10:19:31 am
I assume you will go back and fill us in but I am curious as to why you would do it that way?

Dramatic tension. Books and movies have been using flash backs in exactly the same way, for exactly the same reason, for ages. See also, "denouement."

Aardvark on May 03, 2011, 10:30:02 am
Glenn Watson: OK it looks to me like this is what happened.  Black Mamba got a phone call which upset her. She shoots Ed.  Ed wakes up and everything seems fine.

UW News spin: Another shooting on Ceres. An innocent bystander was critically wounded. Yet another reason to ban guns!  :o

It was critical that Chang explain to Ed that autodocs are officially illegal on Earth and that only the rich have them.  ::) I guess Ed has been on Ceres for a while.

Aardvark on May 03, 2011, 11:16:20 am
Sandy: Dramatic tension. Books and movies have been using flash backs in exactly the same way, for exactly the same reason, for ages. See also, "denouement."

Yeah, that must be it. The last time I saw a cut away this dramatic was in the 1966 Batman movie. Batman and Robin were trapped on a buoy and a torpedo was about run into them. The next scene they are riding away in the Batboat.

Robin: "Gosh, Batman. The nobility of the almost human porpoise!"

Batman: "True, Robin. It was noble of that animal to hurl itself into the path of that final torpedo. He gave his life for ours."

GlennWatson on May 03, 2011, 02:24:07 pm

Dramatic tension. Books and movies have been using flash backs in exactly the same way, for exactly the same reason, for ages. See also, "denouement."

Still seems like you skipped a step to me.

SandySandfort on May 03, 2011, 04:09:22 pm

Still seems like you skipped a step to me.

Okay. Perhaps the conclusion of the denouement will help.

Anyway, as I have quoted before:

"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

I'm please. ;D

Apollo-Soyuz on May 03, 2011, 10:45:24 pm
Did I miss something?
I will note in passing that as of a few minutes ago, EFT is the 81st most popular strip on Top Comics. In the recent past it was hovering in the high 90s. So, it is clear to me that what you folks like is sex and violence (but not romance).  ::)

I like everything except the The Martian Meteor week  :-P  Oh and I've had access to, oh, a few different IP addresses at work so I've been voting several times a day. That's A-OK by the rules BTW.

Anyway, I wanted to see how easy the ratings are to game. It turns out it's pretty easy even without massive use of proxies

mellyrn on May 04, 2011, 06:26:26 am
Anyway, I wanted to see how easy the ratings are to game.

Hmm.  Is that "gaming", really?  A simple count of "those who like this item" gives us one sort of information.  Multiple votes, otoh, can represent intensity of liking, which gives us another metric, as would being able to vote against.  What, specifically, do we want to know in popularity polls?

J Thomas on May 04, 2011, 07:29:58 am
Anyway, I wanted to see how easy the ratings are to game.

Hmm.  Is that "gaming", really?  A simple count of "those who like this item" gives us one sort of information.  Multiple votes, otoh, can represent intensity of liking, which gives us another metric, as would being able to vote against.  What, specifically, do we want to know in popularity polls?

If it takes some time and effort to vote, then somebody who votes 5 times as often likes it more intensely.

But if somebody has access to, say, 100 IP addresses and he has the skills to set up a bot to vote automaticly 100 times a day until he says stop, that looks to me like gaming the system.

Not that there's anything *wrong* with that....

Azure Priest on May 04, 2011, 08:01:54 am
Quote from: Ed
Too bad I missed that.

We all are upset at that.  Now what's going to happen to Ms. Black Mamba?  Will she get a courtsmartial since she was defying what appears to be standing UW orders by firing ON CAMERA at an unarmed civilian?  Or since she committed attempted murder on Ceres soil would she stand before an "informal" Ceres firing squad of one, named Ed?

Last time, Harris and the weapon officer were POWs.  This time it's not so clear.

spudit on May 04, 2011, 08:35:44 am
And since Ed's similar wound was easily fixed, the Weapons Officer could have been saved, but was not. Harris though, messy.

Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?