spudit on March 16, 2011, 06:49:52 pm
I wonder if all the soldiers have sidearms and if they will be allowed to wear them off duty.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:52:09 pm by spudit »
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Apollo-Soyuz on March 17, 2011, 08:29:45 am
I wonder if all the soldiers have sidearms and if they will be allowed to wear them off duty.

I imagine that the UW would tightly restrict personal ownership of firearms, so any handguns would be issued.

http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=659 first panel

I guess anyone could do some break-dancing handstands on Ceres. "More guns and less gravity", indeed.

spudit on March 17, 2011, 11:23:25 am
48 hours of Christmas, so that's Santa's trick.

Ed and Chang seem to be buddies, golly I wonder what transpired in the mean time. I imagine it was like Galt's speach over beer and fried grasshoppers.

So exactly why is it sucide for them to attack the Belters? I can think of a few reasons but thar be dullards amongst us who don't. 

I thought this was all a bunch of thinly disguised Libertarian propaganda intended to warp the minds of the young. I don't hear no propaganda.

grumble

for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on March 17, 2011, 08:52:06 pm
I see dancing in today's strip, low G dancing and catching some air.

See guys, this is not filmed in Kansas, these people really are in space.

Nice touch.

Did the party and partiers leave the square?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:54:19 pm by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?

Plane on March 18, 2011, 09:59:57 am
So exactly why is it sucide for them to attack the Belters? I can think of a few reasons but thar be dullards amongst us who don't. 

I have been wondering too. Ed seems to be dangleing this plot point like a lure in frount of the Captain.

I suppose that life on Ceries requires a lot of co-operation, if a beligerant were not getting co-operation where would he get air?

spudit on March 18, 2011, 10:17:28 am
The thinly disguised Libertarian propaganda intended to warp the minds of the young is back.

Life is good.
for EFT
have you voted today?

GlennWatson on March 18, 2011, 10:27:00 pm
The thinly disguised Libertarian propaganda intended to warp the minds of the young is back.

Life is good.

I don't mind the author having a point of view.  Just make it believable and I am yours.  So far, well, we will see.

spudit on March 19, 2011, 01:42:03 am
A 1965 Frank Sinatra antiwar film comes to mind, None but the Brave. Scenario and spoiler follows.

WWII, Japanese troops stuck on Pacific island.
Americans crash on same island.
They fight, call truce, make a deal in which the other surrenders to whoever finds them first.
They help each other, work together to save the only water source from a typhon, extended peaceful coexistence.
USN ship arrives, the Japanese very reluctantly fight their neighbors cause they just gotta and die well though to the gaijin Americans, for no reason.
Moral of story, what a terrible waste war is, so sad.

Did Sandy see the same movie?
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on March 19, 2011, 08:15:26 am
A 1965 Frank Sinatra antiwar film comes to mind, None but the Brave...
Did Sandy see the same movie?

No, but it sounds as though I should. Thanks.

Apollo-Soyuz on March 19, 2011, 09:05:25 am
A 1965 Frank Sinatra antiwar film comes to mind, None but the Brave. Scenario and spoiler follows.

I remember that one. During the war Hollywood put out propaganda that made the "Japs" (slur used for effect) all look like goggle-eyed bucktooth evil bastards. It's unfortunate that this period is being suppressed, but as of this writing you can view "You're a sap Mr. Jap" here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEK45-_5y0s

That should give you a general idea of the war-era propaganda and how it can be used to make peoples minds up for them.

I remember my history teacher in High School tell me that this worked so well, that after the war we had to generate pro-Japanese propaganda. He never did give any examples though. This might be what he was talking about.

Plane on March 19, 2011, 10:23:03 pm

I remember that one. During the war Hollywood put out propaganda that made the "Japs" (slur used for effect) all look like goggle-eyed bucktooth evil bastards. ..........
I remember my history teacher in High School tell me that this worked so well, that after the war we had to generate pro-Japanese propaganda. He never did give any examples though. This might be what he was talking about.

Shortly after the War Life Magazine ran an article full of positive facts about the Japaneese , I wonder if that would be hard to find.

spudit on March 19, 2011, 10:58:09 pm
In American Ceaser, a biography of Macarthur, I recall that inability of Americans to feel sympathy for occupied Japan. The winter after the war the civilians were in a bad way and good old Doug, American Shogun -- military dictator of Japan --  might have been a better title, demanded either bread or bullets. His personal Macarthur mojo made it happen, they were fed. At the same time the damned hennie fritz krauts, were doing pretty well. But then they look like the people of Millwaukie, or maybe Chester Nimitz or Dwight Eisenhower. A better grade of Homo Sap Sap, no doubt.

That movie I mentioned, it's a goodie.
for EFT
have you voted today?

Plane on March 20, 2011, 12:40:30 am

spudit on March 20, 2011, 09:17:16 pm
In Friday's strip, towards the bottom, Chang uses some interesting wording. He refers to the Belters as "you guys" and smiles. I'd bet a few days before it would have been "you people" and a much less pleasant expression. One word makes all the difference.
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on March 21, 2011, 09:30:02 pm
Back on Ceres we have Ed trying to talk Chang out of just following orders.

What I get from his response is surprise that a kid not trusted to do much besides dress himself in this culture did a bad ass grown up thing.

Also that they know now the guy came from Mars, a ship's crewman?
for EFT
have you voted today?

anything