quadibloc on March 12, 2011, 11:39:39 am
I too was happy to see the Dymaxion Car.
I was puzzled. It doesn't look like it's in the shape of a cuboctahedron to me.

However, I see this is my mistake; this was what the Dymaxion Car looked like, even if many other things to which Buckminster Fuller gave the name "Dymaxion" were in that particular shape.

spudit on March 12, 2011, 11:49:30 am
Dymaxion was kind of his personal buzz word for his stuff; marketing never was his strong point.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

wdg3rd on March 12, 2011, 04:45:09 pm
Dymaxion was kind of his personal buzz word for his stuff; marketing never was his strong point.

Actually, by the time he got into his famous domes and such, he had pretty much abandoned the use of the term Dymaxion.  The only thing that really overlapped both was the Dymaxion map.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 05:10:24 pm
Glenn wouldn't know a Dymaxion Car if one ran over him on I-65.>>>

That is the truth.  Although it does ring a bell.  I seem to remember it on the cover of an old Popular Mechanics or Popular Science.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:12:07 pm by GlennWatson »

spudit on March 12, 2011, 07:11:01 pm
I saw, in fact touched one, ooh, at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago in about 1980. I don't believe it was theirs, but that is a big important museum and Bucky did have a lot of Chicago history behind him. Could be. I do believe the Henry Ford museum in Detroit does own one so maybe a loaner.
Bucky claimed to have met both Capone and Gandhi and ain't that a stretch. I'm luke warm to Gandhi at best but Al. him I'd like to have met.
for EFT
have you voted today?

Plane on March 12, 2011, 09:25:06 pm
I like the Dymaxion Car , it is a good example of how hard it is to sell real innovation.

GlennWatson on March 13, 2011, 07:53:36 am
What is innovative or special about the car, aside from the odd shape.  I know I could look it up but...

spudit on March 13, 2011, 10:31:43 am
Sure, just off the top of my head.

It is a backwards tricycle, steers from the back wheel, the engine is up front between the drive wheels. I believe it was built like an airplane, light and strong.

Imagine it parked next to a 1935 Packard or plugged into a standard gangster movie. It's odd now but then, downright bizzare, the front wheel drive alone blew a few minds. I'm sure Reggie will give us some history but it was so scary nimble pivoting on that tailwheel that it was hard to handle. One crashed and I believe killed the driver and it was shelved.

Until the colonization of Mars anyway.
for EFT
have you voted today?

GlennWatson on March 13, 2011, 12:47:32 pm
It is a backwards tricycle,

I have a recumbent bicycle.  I love it.  I was at a bike shop a few years ago and the owner let me try a bike with two wheels in front and one in back.  I forgets its name.  It was very low to the ground and a lot of fun.  But if you tried to come to a sudden stop the back wheel came into the air in a rather sickening way.  I would have bought it anyway but my wife said no.

spudit on March 13, 2011, 01:16:39 pm
Much the same, I am sure all will be explained.
for EFT
have you voted today?

wdg3rd on March 13, 2011, 02:33:27 pm
Much the same, I am sure all will be explained.

The accident which "shelved" the Dymaxion Car due to bad press involved a drunken Chicago politician.  Aspects of corruption, press access, false cover story.  Chicago hasn't changed much in the past century.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

spudit on March 13, 2011, 03:42:31 pm
So, it still has the best pizza this side of Naples.
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on March 13, 2011, 05:00:01 pm

It is a backwards tricycle, steers from the back wheel, the engine is up front between the drive wheels. I believe it was built like an airplane, light and strong.

Not so. The engine was in the rear. Since it powered only the single, steerable wheel, no differential was needed. The two front wheels just free-wheeled.

Plane on March 13, 2011, 07:50:51 pm

Not so. The engine was in the rear. Since it powered only the single, steerable wheel, no differential was needed. The two front wheels just free-wheeled.

Paralell parking and tight turns become fun to watch.

GlennWatson on March 13, 2011, 08:09:39 pm

That seems like it would be a little twitchy.