quadibloc on March 08, 2011, 01:54:10 pm
Being a long-time Girl Genius fan myself, I am perfectly content to allow a few days for the comic to build up to excitement... which may well come in tomorrow's comic.

Maybe this will just be another exciting part of the ride - or maybe this will be the mechanical failure that some of us are fearing will happen. Because if something like that isn't what is being built up to, then the complaints might have had some small measure of legitimacy.

GlennWatson on March 08, 2011, 04:27:54 pm
In order for something like the current stroy within a story to work the reader has to trust the writer is going somewhere good.  With Tolkien, there were parts of his books that draggged but I knew there would be a payoff.  I have not develped that trust yet with Sandfort.

I will give it a few more weeks.

quadibloc on March 08, 2011, 07:31:36 pm
With Tolkien, there were parts of his books that draggged but I knew there would be a payoff.
Of course, Tolkien could have learned something from Burroughs. Instead of having a whole book (of the six books into which the story was divided, not the three volumes it is normally sold in) to Merry and Pippin before getting back to Frodo, he really should have taken the work, when it was readied for publication, and alternated chapters between the two scenes.

In fact, I'm surprised the editors at Macmillan didn't request to be allowed to make that one small change, since it clearly would have made the work more commercial.

GlennWatson on March 08, 2011, 09:54:34 pm
More commercial?  Really?  More commercial than the 'Lord of the Rings'?  Really?

You are comparing Tolkien unfavorably with Burroughs?  Really?

I'm stunned.

I would not change a word, not a syllable, not a comma.

spudit on March 09, 2011, 12:06:17 am
Split the difference guys, Tarzan, Lord of the Hobbits
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:08:03 am by spudit »
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

quadibloc on March 09, 2011, 12:56:50 am
You are comparing Tolkien unfavorably with Burroughs?  Really?
No. Tolkien's work is a masterpiece, while Burroughs' work is hackwork - beautifully inspired and entertaining hackwork, but hackwork none the less.

However, the one change I suggested, blasphemous as it might seem to some, actually would have made LotR less demanding to first-time readers. It's possible to achieve what I am thinking of by interleaving chapters... without otherwise changing even a comma - without, I suspect, adversely affecting the greatness of the work. Even if it would change the pacing significantly in a sense.

There are people who are just not patient enough to put up with the long wait to get back to Frodo, and they shouldn't be barred from enjoying The Lord of the Rings.

AmriloJim on March 09, 2011, 07:46:41 am
Same company.

Nope...
Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) and Fox News Channel (FNC) are separately-operated companies owned by the Fox Entertainment Group, a subsidiary of News Corporation. When FOX was launched in 1986, it did not have news or sports divisions. As a result, FOX enjoyed exemptions from certain FCC requirements. FNC was launched in 1996 as a satellite-only service, maintaining FOX's insulation from those requirements.

spudit on March 09, 2011, 11:39:22 am
Welcome AmriloJim and you are correct.

Now in a better world Glenn would be right and Homer could sit in for Bill O, hell replace him and who'd notice the difference. Or, to date myself, imagine Al Bundy reading the news. A better world.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Brugle on March 09, 2011, 12:58:16 pm
Tolkien ... should have taken the work, when it was readied for publication, and alternated chapters between the two scenes.
I would not change a word, not a syllable, not a comma.
i am much closer to Glenn on this one.

To me, alternating chapters would have greatly reduced my emotional connection to the characters in LOTR.  It's possible that alternating chapters would have attracted more readers than it would have repelled, but I wouldn't be so sure.

It's also possible that Tolkien wanted to produce the best work he could, and would have rejected such changes even if he thought they might have increased sales.

quadibloc on March 09, 2011, 01:47:11 pm
It's also possible that Tolkien wanted to produce the best work he could, and would have rejected such changes even if he thought they might have increased sales.
That's entirely possible.

I am suspecting, though, that alternating the chapters would not have interfered with the reader becoming emotionally involved with the characters. Instead, I think that the fact that they weren't alternating was more of an artifact of the way the book was written originally, and that Tolkien, as primarily a philologist, and not a professional writer of popular fiction, just didn't even consider the possibility of doing it that way.

As for the publisher? Usually, published works do tend to get edited. But on the one hand, The Hobbit was a best seller... and on the other, The Lord of the Rings was such an unconventional work, the publisher may well have entertained only limited hopes for it - and may have felt that nothing would save it. Why annoy the author by suggesting such a change, in that case?

GlennWatson on March 09, 2011, 09:13:39 pm
So to recap, a couple got on a roller coast and rode it.  And it went up and down and all around and then it came to a stop.  We know this was exciting because it all happened in Spaaaaaaaace!!!!

OK Mars, but close enough.

This is pretty much what I was expecting.  I never expected any sort of crash or malfunction like some of you did since that would mean a libertarian society was fallible.

I suppose its possible this ride will have some significance later in the story.

quadibloc on March 10, 2011, 02:32:49 am
I suppose its possible this ride will have some significance later in the story.
Today's page makes it obvious how things will develop.

Babette and Reggie will make rejuv choices that will make them unrecognizable to each other. Perhaps Babette will be black, and Reggie white - since this is apparently a post-racism society. There will be a big earthquake on Mars that prevents them from meeting afterward normally; instead, they both participate in rescuing people trapped by the earthquake... in that very roller-coaster ride we've just been following, and which gave us the background to follow the rescue operations.

This is just one of a million possibilities - and since I know my cliches, but I'm no writer, it's unlikely to be exactly what's coming up - but I have faith that there will be interesting stuff coming. As I've followed this comic from the very beginning, I do have reason for trust.

SandySandfort on March 10, 2011, 07:24:24 am
[Babette and Reggie will make rejuv choices that will make them unrecognizable to each other. Perhaps Babette will be black, and Reggie white - since this is apparently a post-racism society. There will be a big earthquake on Mars that prevents them from meeting afterward normally; instead, they both participate in rescuing people trapped by the earthquake... in that very roller-coaster ride we've just been following, and which gave us the background to follow the rescue operations.

Nice. Not at all what is in store for our protagonists, but very creative plotting.

mellyrn on March 10, 2011, 07:26:08 am

Might.  I enjoyed it for its own sake.  Look, I love roller coasters, and I will never be able to take that particular ride, nor anything close.  I may one day forget most of the details of this story when it's all done, but that vicarious coaster ride I know will be with me for the rest of my life.  I am grateful to those who imagined this ride for sharing it with me.

And I thank you, GW, for providing me with the occasion to tell them so in public.  I might have neglected to do so, otherwise.

I never expected any sort of crash or malfunction like some of you did since that would mean a libertarian society was fallible.

Sooo, the only way you'll think EFT is giving a fair and realistic treatment of AnCap is if it writes how the AnCap society must fail; anything going right for them is presenting "infallibility".  Talk about assuming your conclusions!  Dear gods, they let you teach impressionable young minds?

mellyrn on March 10, 2011, 09:42:10 am
I once had a large-animal veterinarian as a neighbor.  One day, returning cold, wet, and muddy from work, he snarled that he was going to write a book of vet adventures himself and tell it like it really is, not all sugar-coated the way James Herriott (of All Creatures Great and Small fame) told it!

My jaw dropped.  Herriott did write very cheerfully, as one who obviously loved his work -- and he told many a tale of being pulled from a warm bed to, say, go lie in icy February mud, up to the armpit in bovine vagina getting his arm painfully squeezed in her labor contractions, trying to save a calf (not always successfully).

Herriott never gave me the impression that it was all sunshine and roses; far from it, I knew I'd never hack it if I had to do his job.

My neighbor, being a dyspeptic sort, apparently couldn't handle the idea of someone loving the job, and so he misrepresented the love as "sugar-coating".

When we firmly hold a given viewpoint, we seldom enjoy stories that challenge or defy our views.  It takes serious intellectual integrity to recognize our own bias.  I'd give GW points for reading EFT at all, except I'm not sure if he's more looking for a mental workout, or for a target upon which to vent.  I'd find the difference in whether the objections are material or emotional.

anything