SandySandfort on February 27, 2011, 12:32:53 am
Those Who Can, Do.
Those Who Can't, Troll.

I'd like to say that writing is hard, but for me, it isn't. I'm good at it and I enjoy it. Not everyone likes my stuff, but that's okay. I cannot be--nor do I intend to try to be--all things to all people. So here are my priority:

1. I have to like what I write. If I don't, I work on it until I do.
2. I want my editor/publisher to like it. Those are the people who cough up the money for my work. Nothing says “I like your writing” like coin of the realm. I have written for a number of publications, such as Wired and the LA Times. They seemed to appreciate my writing enough to pay me hundreds of dollars for my articles.
3. I really want to please my fans. When I get an “attaboy” from Terry, Mellyrn or several other readers on the Forum who clearly “get it,” I am happy.
4. When the general readers like my work enough to keep EFT almost continually in the Top 100 Web Comics (out of thousands), for over two years, that tells me I am meeting my obligation to them.

After that, I do not give a rat's rump what the naysayers think or say. I have done my job for the people who count. The writer wannabe who think they are fit to judge me, yet never seem to produce anything of value themselves, are just envious; nothing more.

Well, not exactly nothing more. My pop psychology take on it is that in addition to being envious, they are sad, powerless little creatures, who try to create the illusion of competence by criticizing their betters. They attempt to tear down that which they are incapable of matching, much less surpassing.

So if you don't like my stories, my villains or anything else, fine, understand this: I do not care. If you think you can do better, knock yourself out. I dare you to find a publisher for your “superior” prose. In the meantime, you are cordially invited to kiss my rosy red derrière.  :-*

orthzar on February 27, 2011, 12:58:39 am
I see it this way, if you don't write, then nobody will give you any credit, but, if you do write, then trolls will ooze out of the walls just to complain.   And when you get a good reputation for your writing, you will get complaints from loyalists and trolls alike if you stop writing.

So keep writing!

Holt on February 27, 2011, 04:59:32 am
You're writing anarchist propaganda when most webcomic readers are in Gen Y who have an innate hatred of authority. Of course it's going to be popular.

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 07:08:53 am
Mr. Sandfort, if you are going to set up a message board about your comic then don't get upset when you don't get an uninterrupted stream of praise. 

I am a teacher.  Many people complain about teachers in general.  And I have had more than a few complaints about my teaching in particular.  I don't assume these complaints are from frustrated wannabe teachers.

I have to say this is not the first time I have encountered your attitude.  Comic book writers have notoriously thin skins.  You sound just like John Byrne in that first post.  He just bans anyone who disagrees with him as do most comic writers.

mellyrn on February 27, 2011, 08:17:28 am
Mr. Sandfort, if you are going to set up a message board

He didn't.  If I've understood correctly, his publishers did.

I don't assume these complaints are from frustrated wannabe teachers.

Teachers have no social cachet.  I for one think that's a real shame, but there it is:  people just don't flock to 'cons to get the autographs of their favorite teachers.

[Byrne] just bans anyone who disagrees with him

Sandy can't.  It's not his board.  He just posts here sometimes same as the rest of us.

SandySandfort on February 27, 2011, 09:05:49 am
I see it this way, if you don't write, then nobody will give you any credit, but, if you do write, then trolls will ooze out of the walls just to complain.   And when you get a good reputation for your writing, you will get complaints from loyalists and trolls alike if you stop writing.

So keep writing!

Bingo! Thanks for the encouragement. Don't worry, I am not discouraged by the gnats. (We all know who they are.)   ;D

SandySandfort on February 27, 2011, 09:23:29 am
WatsonGlenn, I see you don't get it. Perhaps I can help.

Mr. Sandfort, if you are going to set up a message board about your comic then don't get upset when you don't get an uninterrupted stream of praise.

A) You do not know what you are talking about. I have set up no message board.
B) I am not upset by a lack of praise. I do not care for unsupported sniping for the purpose of sniping. Constructive criticism and disagreement are fine by me.

I am a teacher.  Many people complain about teachers in general.  And I have had more than a few complaints about my teaching in particular.  I don't assume these complaints are from frustrated wannabe teachers.

C) I wouldn't know. When I was teaching advanced English in Costa Rica, I always got the highest praise. Perhaps you aren't a very good teacher. Most teachers are hacks, so I am not surprised they get complaints. Home schooling demonstrates that professional teachers are superfluous to basic learning. The "unschooling" movement, makes it clear that most so called "teachers" are destructive to the learning process.

I have to say this is not the first time I have encountered your attitude.  Comic book writers have notoriously thin skins.  You sound just like John Byrne in that first post.  He just bans anyone who disagrees with him as do most comic writers.

D) <shrug> "Thin-skinned" is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer to think that I am dedicated to truth and reason. Your priorities may be different.

E) If banning everyone who disagrees with me is your definition of thin skinned, then you lose. I have neither the power nor the inclination to ban anyone. I just reserve the right to set the record straight or completely ignore fools and trolls.

sams on February 27, 2011, 09:31:55 am
I really love the ''All your talents belong to US'' from Holt and Watson ... thus think themselves able to give orders.

First the whole '' show the other side of the issue'' is completely is ludicrous, does you see the ''other side'' in the communist of America magazine ?

Our enemies already spend a lot of resources to undermine our message, why should we waste ours to do the same ?

Secondly what Sandy is doing is primarily telling a story, to open the imagination and question what we though was possible. It might be an easy read for Free marketers, an intriguing read for a novice, but it will never be an encyclopaedic.

If you want in deep analize and discussion go read the Libertarian Papers, mises.org or the Cato institute if you can't take heavy doses of liberty ideology.

Corydon on February 27, 2011, 09:38:28 am
So if you don't like my stories, my villains or anything else, fine, understand this: I do not care. If you think you can do better, knock yourself out. I dare you to find a publisher for your “superior” prose. In the meantime, you are cordially invited to kiss my rosy red derrière.  :-*

Obviously you do care; otherwise you wouldn't have posted not just one, but two all-capped-titled cris de coeur (and then responded to somebody else.)

I mean, I sympathize with you, but you have to decide.  Either you care about what your critics say, in which case you engage them.  Or you don't, in which case you ignore them.  You can't have it both ways.

SandySandfort on February 27, 2011, 10:22:36 am
Obviously you do care; otherwise you wouldn't have posted not just one, but two all-capped-titled cris de coeur (and then responded to somebody else.)

Oh, is that what that means? Thanks for the heads-up. Two titles = caring. Got it.  ::)

I mean, I sympathize with you, but you have to decide.  Either you care about what your critics say, in which case you engage them.  Or you don't, in which case you ignore them.  You can't have it both ways.

I believe in a world of possibilities and choices. I do not agree with your black-and-white dichotomy. So I don't see any rational reason why I cannot have it both ways. I will engage with respectful critics who can support their positions with reason and evidence. I will put down obnoxious fools and trolls, or ignore them, as my mood dictates. Works for me, but of course, YMMV.

Holt on February 27, 2011, 10:45:57 am
I really love the ''All your talents belong to US'' from Holt and Watson ... thus think themselves able to give orders.

Honestly I just want to help him develop as a writer. He actually does have a knack but he's not developing it. He's no Ellis or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but he's still a good writer, he just needs to shake the habit of writing one dimensional characters.

First the whole '' show the other side of the issue'' is completely is ludicrous, does you see the ''other side'' in the communist of America magazine ?

So because one thing is shit all others must be shit?
If you don't aspire to do better what is the point?

Our enemies already spend a lot of resources to undermine our message, why should we waste ours to do the same ?

See encouraging examination and discussion about your philosophy and its flaws shouldn't undermine your philosophy. If it does then there is something seriously wrong with your philosophy which must be addressed.

Secondly what Sandy is doing is primarily telling a story, to open the imagination and question what we though was possible. It might be an easy read for Free marketers, an intriguing read for a novice, but it will never be an encyclopaedic.

Easy read is certainly right. No strain on the old membranes or anything at all to detract from the message of how glorious anarchy is and how evil government is.
But it doesn't need to be encyclopedic. It just needs to examine itself, provide a compelling pair of characters. Give the anarchists some fucking human flaws, they're all dam saints so far.

If you want in deep analize and discussion go read the Libertarian Papers, mises.org or the Cato institute if you can't take heavy doses of liberty ideology.

Libertarians? You do realise those guys are actually advocates of corporate feudalism right?

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 10:59:44 am
A)   You do not know what you are talking about. I have set up no message board.

I guess this one just magically appeared.  As to your attack on teachers I have heard it before just as you have heard attacks on writers.  See how it works?  In any case I consider this your board.  If you don't want people to complain or criticize the story then say so.  I guarantee I won't do it again.  All I ask is that you stop your whining.

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 11:04:43 am
I really love the ''All your talents belong to US'' from Holt and Watson ... thus think themselves able to give orders.>>>>>

I’m sorry where exactly did I give the impression I was giving orders or that another person’s talents belonged to me.  I was criticizing the story.  As for what your “enemies” do spare me the personal drama.  It’s a story on a web page not the Communist Manifesto.

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 11:15:10 am
I just reserve the right to set the record straight or completely ignore fools and trolls. >>>>

You just can't help yourself can you? 

Your reaction is like deja vu for me.  There must be a class writers take to learn how to talk to posters on the Internet.  You all do it the exact same way.

Your post reminds me of the latest Charlie Sheen rant.

sams on February 27, 2011, 11:48:13 am

Libertarians? You do realise those guys are actually advocates of corporate feudalism right?

Yes I know, Walter Block is the last thing I can consider and I usually disagree with him. From Stephane Molineux forward I just can't take it any more.

But what is the problem with Intellectual discussion and in deep analysis of what we though to be possible. If you want discussion and such these are the best places for you.

EFT is a COMIC, it is a tale not a in deep philosophical discussion, go read Molineux, Block and Co for discussion and I'm sure they would welcome your loyal opposition.

anything