Holt on February 26, 2011, 12:28:13 pm
Little anarchist went to ad hominem rather quickly once the value of his precious gold stockpile was questioned.

sams on February 26, 2011, 12:39:38 pm
Little anarchist went to ad hominem rather quickly once the value of his precious gold stockpile was questioned.

Nope a good question was asked from, you.

Do you realize how is important currency is for modern society ? Barter is impractical, curbensome and prevents the division of labour.

Heck here in Africa people go about Olympic lengths to convert their savings in US Dollars, because compared to the local fiat currency it is more reliable. Currency is in itself a service, one of the most important in human history, maybe an institution can provide this service and make a profit out of it through mild inflation.

Government fiat in the other end is used a hidden tax and destroy wealth.

But in the mean time gold is the best thing we found to use as a currency, it simplify everything

Holt on February 26, 2011, 12:41:42 pm
It does simplify it. However it is not the only option. A currency does not need to be gold or silver.
It can be anything that enough people have said "yes that is valuable"

spudit on February 26, 2011, 12:54:39 pm
I blathered on about gasoline as a commodity on another thread. Anything of value will do. Once again, remember Cokens from one of the first strips? 

A friend looked at my dog, then at a bag of dog food and said, that's his bank, you know where he keeps his valuables. So it is.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

sams on February 26, 2011, 12:54:45 pm
It does simplify it. However it is not the only option. A currency does not need to be gold or silver.
It can be anything that enough people have said "yes that is valuable"

{FACEPALM}

Read the comic for an introduction to free market in currency : http://www.bigheadpress.com/eft?page=25

See the big difference between Free marketers and you is that :

1- We want people to have choice, if some want gold other want to use fiat, token or Bullshit good for them.

2- You want to have a majoritarian vote and force all to abide by it.

Gold being the widely accepted currency is much more valuable than Continentals, which are nothing more than claims on the UW capacity of milking the tax slaves.

Holt on February 26, 2011, 01:24:03 pm
Ohhh you think I'm arguing it from the inside perspective of the comic? No I'm talking about reality. You know where anarchy has yet to work.

GlennWatson on February 26, 2011, 03:02:05 pm
Gold is valuable because we say it is. 

We say it is because it is relatively rare, it is pretty, it resists corrosion, it is soft and ductile and can be minted, it is also fungible.

Gold is conductive but I donít think that has anything to do with its attractiveness as a means of exchange.

I have also found that when dealing with ladies gold is an excellent means for smoothing negotiations.

Holt on February 26, 2011, 03:28:50 pm
This chap understands it.

He's not quite there but he is halfway there at least. More than can be said for most.
He has understood the basic reality of it and some of the reasons behind it. He still misses on some points but he's getting there.

GlennWatson on February 26, 2011, 05:41:18 pm
Maybe if you explained using smaller words.

mellyrn on February 26, 2011, 05:57:34 pm
No I'm talking about reality. You know where anarchy has yet to work.

Since you don't yet know what "anarchy" actually means, you're free to babble.

You refuse to know what "anarchy" means, because learning would run you too close to the risk of being wrong.

You choose ignorance.

Holt on February 26, 2011, 06:01:25 pm
Well I know you're not an anarchist either.

sams on February 26, 2011, 06:06:33 pm
This chap understands it.

He's not quite there but he is halfway there at least. More than can be said for most.
He has understood the basic reality of it and some of the reasons behind it. He still misses on some points but he's getting there.

You could also see another part of the equation, that US Dollars bills are generally widely used in African countries not only has trade currency, but has a more reliable currency.

In that case we do have some sort of free market in currency, because I doubt this state of affairs come about because of government policies. In fact in my country wages are many times determined in Dollars terms and anything beyond 500$ in value is generally paid in US Dollars bills.

The reason is that it enable you to bypass the local currency inflation rate. Sure both are fiat currency, but the comparative difference between the inflation of both lead a spontaneous anarchistic Dollars acceptance to emerge.

Extend the logic to gold, which has very little inflation, and it is safe to assume that people will likely use it has currency because of these qualities.

Sure something else can be used like a currency, but in like the US acceptance in African countries, it will depend on a spontaneous order.

spudit on February 26, 2011, 06:22:27 pm
In the name of all the gods of man and beast.

What we say is valuable is, to us. It need not be to everybody just the people who also say it is valuable, to them.

What's a ciggarette worth to a strung out smoker, a lot. what's it worth to me a nonsmoker, zilch.

What is valuable to me is valuable, hell the dog even knows that..
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Holt on February 26, 2011, 06:52:20 pm
In the name of all the gods of man and beast.

What we say is valuable is, to us. It need not be to everybody just the people who also say it is valuable, to them.

What's a ciggarette worth to a strung out smoker, a lot. what's it worth to me a nonsmoker, zilch.

What is valuable to me is valuable, hell the dog even knows that..

Ring a ding ding I think we have a winner. He figured it out.

terry_freeman on February 26, 2011, 10:14:55 pm
You can use anything as a currency - and in a truly free market, such as the hypothetical Ceres market, people can and do use many things.

People tend to prefer certain characteristics of money. It should be durable. It should have intrinsic value. It should be portable. It should be divisible. It should be easily recognizable.

Gold is durable; you can dig up a coin from thousands of years ago, and it will not be corroded.

Now, you can't eat gold, as certain parrots like to repeat incessantly. Perhaps nothing else is of interest to those minute parrot brains, but gold does have value in electronics, as an excellent conductor; it is also used in jewelry because it is good to look at, easily worked, and durable. It is used in dental fillings.

Gold can be divided easily into smaller parts.

Gold is portable; a small amount has more value than, for example, an ounce of iron or tobacco or cowrie shells - although all of those have served as money at some time or another.

In any case, EFT is a free market. People choose to use gold for their own reasons. If you don't like it, offer something else. If you wish to offer paper, you need a better reason than "you can't eat gold", at least until you demonstrate your willingness to eat your own paper. I'll even donate some salt and pepper seasoning, just to see you try.

anything