SandySandfort on March 12, 2011, 03:15:10 pm
A typical libertarian might ally with a rightist or a leftist on a specific issue...

An example in point was the Cypherpunks whose raison d'etre was the use of technology to protect privacy and defeat censorship. Most of us were some flavor of libertarian, but we also had people from the left, the right and the just plain weird (e.g., Cap'n Crunch). Occasionally, political arguments would come up and be put down just as quickly. We tolerated ideologues only to the extent they contributed to our quest for privacy.

J Thomas on March 12, 2011, 04:05:00 pm
Just tossing this one out there but am I alone in thinking Ann Coulter is a dude?

Think about it.

Kinda gawky, big hands, touch of an adam's apple, beligerant as hell, not so good looking but she tries. Irrational too, gotta tweak the hormones a bit. No wonder she has issues, after all, he has issues.

Are you delusional?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Ann_Coulter_1.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,232859,00.html

She's often photographed with an enormous adam's apple. It isn't exactly delusional. But I don't see how it matters unless you'd consider dating her. Arguing about Ann Coulter's gender is at least as silly as arguing about Obama's birth certificate.

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 05:20:34 pm
BTW, you "teach" government and you never heard the explanation of astroturf? Wow. Do you read anything except science fiction (for which you don't pay, of course)? Once again, Wow.>>>>

You amaze easily.  In any case no, I never heard astroturf used in that way.  I was not attacking the person who used it I was complementing him. Finally no matter how often you ask I am not giving you any of my money.

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 05:23:59 pm
Both men and women have a laryngeal prominence (Adam's apple). On average, men have a more prominent one than women. Actually, a much better "give-away" is neck length. On average, women's necks are substantially longer than men's. Another good sex indicator is the angle at the elbow when the arm is fully extended.

Is that the way you tell the differance?  Wow.

SandySandfort on March 12, 2011, 06:52:10 pm
[She's often photographed with an enormous adam's apple.

"Often"? Oh yeah, one of those intermittent Adam's apples, right?  ::)

Look, your statement assumes facts not in evidence. You assume that the photographs (a) are not tampered with (there are plenty of photos on the web that are clearly photoshopped; fangs? really?), (b) that what you think is an Adam's apple is not a lighting artifact or some other structure in her neck and (c) that even if it is her laryngeal prominence, it isn't just large for a woman. I mean both men and women have them. On average, men's are larger, but their are true XXs with large ones.

Personally, I don't care about her sex. It just offends me when intellectually lazy or malicious people try to trash others whose ideas they do not seem to be able to refute. Coulter says enough dumb things, that one should be able to refute her without resorting to invidious gossip.

spudit on March 12, 2011, 07:00:07 pm
Actually, I was just being silly. It was late and my sister in law in Denver had woken me up awful early so I could get away from the tsunami. 

I suppose Ann Coulter is female or I'd have heard otherwise. I was just sick of hearing about her and the rest of those goons from Sam. But she is abrasive and unattractive, in a word, yuck.

Though she does have quite a neck, unlike Audrey, on her it looks bad.

Curious Glenn, no offense intended but may I ask what you do teach. From your email address I'd guess it in an Alabama K-12 public school. Just asking. A good answer would increase your cred here

While I'm at it, why an obscure three wheeled example of Buckytech, Sandy?
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

sam on March 12, 2011, 07:04:55 pm
Rightists may think that Libertarians are objectively allies simply because by being out of power, they can't interfere effectively with the types of government aggression the rightists support, while their activities are more effective in highlighting what's wrong with the types of government aggression the leftists support.

Rightists don't support any particular government aggression, because there are one thousand different kinds of rightists, and the rightism of one has nothing in common with the rightism of another.  “Right” merely means “not left”, much as in the sixteenth century, “protestant” meant “not Roman Catholic”.  Disagreement with any part of official doctrine made you protestant back then, and makes you right wing today, and since there are a thousand points of official holy doctrine, there are thousand completely different and unrelated ways of being “right”  The only thing rightists have in common is that they are the out of power group.  Therefore no rightist is a threat to any other rightist.    The prospect of right wing government aggression, such as compulsory Christianity, or whatever, is about equal to the prospect of invasion from Mars.  We have not had theocratic right wing Christianity for a centuries.  If rightists get to restore the monarchy, then after that you might start worrying that we were on the slippery slope towards Christian theocracy or some such.

There simply is no right wing government aggression, because there simply is no right wing government.  The permanent fireproof bureaucracy is permanently staffed with people with the same politics as a Harvard professor, and the politicians are just their public relations department.  Look what happened with “faith based programs”.

“War on terror” is part of program to convert Muslims to progressivism at gunpoint.  If it was a right wing program, it would be “war with Islam”.

Also, the Republican Party has more than one internal faction. Some are viewed as quasi-Libertarian because they want lower taxes and fewer bureaucratic regulations on businesses, and are not overly fond of the social-conservative agenda of other parts of the party.

So what is this horrid socially conservative agenda that threatens us with government aggression?  Are we going to be converted to Christianity by fire and sword?   Did social conservatives create the aids virus to kill off gay people?

There is today not one Christian rightist who has a preaching or church job who openly supports marriage as it existed in the sixties or seventies, in part because that is horribly unfashionable these days and any preacher who tries it is apt to be demonized in a horrific fashion, and it part because it would put his church at risk of getting the treatment applied to the Branch Davidians, the FCLDS, and the CSA.  Today's Christian right is socally radical compared to the mainstream in the sixties.

Further, it is far from clear that this social radicalism (radical by the standards of history) is in fact very popular, since it runs contrary to biology and human nature.  Observe that western fertile age women converting to Islam outnumber western Islamic immigrant women converting to Christianity by approximately one hundred to one.  So if the most extreme portion of the Christian right (Davidians, FCLDS, and so forth) staged a coup and re-instituted patriarchal and unequal marriage, re-instituted the laws of the 1950s and 1960s, I suspect most people would be quietly relieved - and since western marriage has always been consensual, even in the early Roman republic when the husband had authority to execute the wife for any reason or no reason, the bride and groom had to publicly consent four times, I cannot see that restoring 1950s marriage would constitute government aggression.  It would constitute contract enforcement.

sam on March 12, 2011, 07:14:21 pm
To figure out whether Ann Coulter is male of female, let your penis do the thinking.

J Thomas on March 12, 2011, 07:25:08 pm
[She's often photographed with an enormous adam's apple.

"Often"? Oh yeah, one of those intermittent Adam's apples, right?  ::)

Look, your statement assumes facts not in evidence. You assume that the photographs (a) are not tampered with (there are plenty of photos on the web that are clearly photoshopped; fangs? really?),

The example I gave was from Fox News. Would they photoshop her that way?

(b) that what you think is an Adam's apple is not a lighting artifact or some other structure in her neck and (c) that even if it is her laryngeal prominence, it isn't just large for a woman. I mean both men and women have them. On average, men's are larger, but their are true XXs with large ones.

She could easily be a true XX with an exceptionally large adam's apple. I just can't see arguing that it isn't there.

Personally, I don't care about her sex. It just offends me when intellectually lazy or malicious people try to trash others whose ideas they do not seem to be able to refute. Coulter says enough dumb things, that one should be able to refute her without resorting to invidious gossip.

Yes. I figure that if you're arguing with people who take Coulter seriously then you're wasting your time. Better to argue with Racter. And the adam's apple doesn't prove anything important, as you point out.

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 07:32:23 pm
Curious Glenn, no offense intended but may I ask what you do teach. From your email address I'd guess it in an Alabama K-12 public school. Just asking. A good answer would increase your cred here>>>>

I am a 17 year HS teacher of history.  In the last five I have picked up government and economics.  The math of economics is giving me trouble so I focus on Micro and read a lot.  Regular Gov and Econ is easy enough but the AP is kicking my butt.  What do you do?

quadibloc on March 12, 2011, 07:33:00 pm
Is that the way you tell the differance?  Wow.
Usually, the differences between the male and the female of H. sapiens are obvious and visible, at least in adult specimens, even when they are fully clothed.

Occasionally, however, it will be useful for field personnel to be familiar with some of the more subtle distinctions between the two sexes of this species, such as the more delicate hands of the female, or the effects of the considerably more delicate hip bone of the female. (This is also the primary way in which the skeletons of male and female humans may be distinguished.)

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 07:33:12 pm
To figure out whether Ann Coulter is male of female, let your penis do the thinking.

Or her's

GlennWatson on March 12, 2011, 07:36:21 pm
Occasionally, however, it will be useful for field personnel to be familiar with some of the more subtle distinctions between the two sexes of this species, such as the more delicate hands of the female, or the effects of the considerably more delicate hip bone of the female. (This is also the primary way in which the skeletons of male and female humans may be distinguished.) 

You guys don't get out much do you?  I could suggest a better way.

spudit on March 12, 2011, 08:25:00 pm
Curious Glenn, no offense intended but may I ask what you do teach. From your email address I'd guess it in an Alabama K-12 public school. Just asking. A good answer would increase your cred here>>>>

I am a 17 year HS teacher of history.  In the last five I have picked up government and economics.  The math of economics is giving me trouble so I focus on Micro and read a lot.  Regular Gov and Econ is easy enough but the AP is kicking my butt.  What do you do?

Glenn, an honest answer to an honest question and I thank you for it.

I respect teachers and history was one of my subjects back in the day.

Me, I am 52 and have worked in a lot of different fields. Retail work, restaurant work, factory work, office work, I have gotten around. Education, an associates and a couple certificates in machinist stuff and Auto cad drafting. I was issued a patent maybe 12 years ago and that looks good on the resume.

Since June I have been coasting on savings and building a 28 foot old fashioned powerboat from plans in an old book, simple, sturdy, crude and robust, on a friend's property west of Olympia, Washington. I developed cash flow issues and the weather has been wet since I started, even by Seattle standards, and both slow me down. Before that I lived in a 20 foot sailboat in a marina for a year and a half. Now the dog and I live on the boat up on blocks in the woods. I've spent the last couple days making a cargo mast and boom out of a fir tree, it is what I do these days. Another day something else.

Soon we launch and I will wander the Sound learning enough to tackle Alaska. Ain't much spectacular but that's what I got.

Honesty deserves honesty.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on March 13, 2011, 12:04:49 am
While I'm at it, why an obscure three wheeled example of Buckytech, Sandy?

Well, the story has a running sub-theme of "everything old is new again." I always thought the Dymaxion car was cool, so....