Plane on February 19, 2011, 12:50:21 pm
Belgians celebrate 249 days without a government

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Belgians-celebrate-249-days-without-government/ss/events/ts/021711belgiumgov

Apparently government is not something that a Belgian uses every day.

spudit on February 19, 2011, 05:06:35 pm
Groovy
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

terry_freeman on February 19, 2011, 07:38:57 pm
Belgians celebrate 249 days without a government

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Belgians-celebrate-249-days-without-government/ss/events/ts/021711belgiumgov

Apparently government is not something that a Belgian uses every day.

Cool! Americans should try this remedy. Apparently "The [Belgian] budget deficit last year was lower than forecast because there was no government to make spending plans."

quadibloc on February 20, 2011, 01:01:08 am
I saw the news item. Of course, it isn't really "no government" in the AnCap sense. No active legislature, but still police enforcing the laws as they were, still taxmen, and so on. But I suppose it's a start.

sams on February 20, 2011, 01:15:13 am
I saw the news item. Of course, it isn't really "no government" in the AnCap sense. No active legislature, but still police enforcing the laws as they were, still taxmen, and so on. But I suppose it's a start.

If no bastard is writing ''administrative directive'' then it is the kind of grid lock I can live with ... just image how many kittens are dying because the Belgian politicians didn't took action  ;D

At least it is a good start

Plane on February 20, 2011, 01:41:20 am
So what is missing from their government is the top layer.

As a society and for the rest of their government they can apparently coast along with no real top .

sams on February 20, 2011, 01:54:30 am
So what is missing from their government is the top layer.

As a society and for the rest of their government they can apparently coast along with no real top .

It is a good start not to have the top layer, with all the dumb politicians willing to force your kids learn French or flemish ... or tax the carbon shit out of you, at least this layer is off.

It is an accident of History, but if they get used to it we might get a precedent of lack of government.

GlennWatson on February 21, 2011, 05:07:52 pm
I worked at a high school once where for a year and a half we got along without a principal.  Everything was fine.

terry_freeman on February 22, 2011, 12:04:18 am
There are reports of a high school - I forget which - that had a teachers' strike for most of a school year. The students self-organized into study groups.

The student scores on Advanced Placement tests were higher than in other years.

KBCraig on February 22, 2011, 01:59:19 am
Let's see, Belgium has no elected oversight, yet taxation and programs and goverment --and governance-- continues. Sounds like a bureaucrat's wet dream.

spudit on February 22, 2011, 09:54:10 am
Civil unrest in Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya, Wisconson, a Libertarian's WD come true.

Sad but true about the bureaucrats though.

Some people seem to need, relish and seek adult supervision, I suppose it is the pack thing Pablo mentioned in the strip. Now the question for the Belgians, whose government is running on pure momentum, is how to apply the brakes, as in cutting off the money. Dare we hope to see the same in DC?
for EFT
have you voted today?

ContraryGuy on February 22, 2011, 10:44:39 am
There are reports of a high school - I forget which - that had a teachers' strike for most of a school year. The students self-organized into study groups.

And this, of course, means all teacher are evil and all students would be better off with no-one to answer questions or guide slower learners.  (or hold back the geniuses.)

I had a teacher in elementary school who was teaching elementary geometry, and when we got to the part of calculating the volume of a cone, he said "we are going to skip this, you will never need to know it".  And you know, I never have needed to know how to calculate to volume of a cone.

See, some teachers are knowledgeable.

ContraryGuy on February 22, 2011, 10:49:19 am
Civil unrest in Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya, Wisconson, a Libertarian's WD come true.

Sad but true about the bureaucrats though.

Some people seem to need, relish and seek adult supervision, I suppose it is the pack thing Pablo mentioned in the strip. Now the question for the Belgians, whose government is running on pure momentum, is how to apply the brakes, as in cutting off the money. Dare we hope to see the same in DC?

You would find a fellow traveler in Grover Nordquist, Republican, who once famously compared choking off tax revenue with "strangling a baby in a bathtub."

The Belgians can have no top layer of government because they do nothing but make fine chocolate, great beer and get invaded. 
So, no need for a government.

However, you seem to have neglected to mention the the European Central Government is located in Belgiums capital city Brussels.

terry_freeman on February 22, 2011, 03:24:23 pm

And this, of course, means all teacher are evil and all students would be better off with no-one to answer questions or guide slower learners.  (or hold back the geniuses.)

Gee, I see that you majored in Jumping to Unreasonable Conclusions. Was that the Illogic 101 series?

spudit on February 22, 2011, 03:50:58 pm
You would find a fellow traveler in Grover Nordquist, Republican, who once famously compared choking off tax revenue with "strangling a baby in a bathtub."

So then, I gather you disaprove of strangling babies?

I have not been a Republican in years, not since I cut way back on my drinking. I looked the guy up, unimpressed.

Frankly, I don't care a rodent's anus about Belgium one way or another. I just like the story.

Oh yeah

Cone (1/3) * pi * radius2 * height
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:58:44 pm by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?

anything