Holt on February 26, 2011, 11:42:57 am
We are still waiting for the capable opponent of AnCap society to rear his head.  If the antagonists are always as incompetent as Chang the story will suffer.  I want to see AnCap defend themselves against a realistic formidable opponent.  In comic book terms I want to see a Doctor Doom or Lex Luthor not a Penguin or Riddler.

Well put.

In cartoon terms, a little less Elmer Fudd please. Non AnCap works too, though not nearly as well. Just look out the window. Communisim didn't work very well either, but it was neither stupid nor harmless.

Good to have our old buddy back Holt, been a while.

If EFT disappoints may I suggest a box set of The Smurfs DVDs?

Yeah I always liked the Smurfs. Glorious Comrade Papa Smurf leading the workers in their revolt against the capitalist oppressor.

spudit on February 26, 2011, 11:52:01 am
Yeah but that one and only girl Smurf, come sunset I bet she was a capitalist. Once you go Blue you never go back.

Honest question, who were the bad guys? Was it some mean old man or some sort of animals? I honestly don't recall.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

Holt on February 26, 2011, 12:09:54 pm
Yeah but that one and only girl Smurf, come sunset I bet she was a capitalist. Once you go Blue you never go back.

Honest question, who were the bad guys? Was it some mean old man or some sort of animals? I honestly don't recall.

Gargamel. Some kinda hedge wizard or alchemist who wants to use the smurfs in a potion to turn things into gold.
He actually created Smurfette as part of a plan to accomplish that. See the smurfs are actually sexless.

spudit on February 26, 2011, 12:19:59 pm
Thanks, I am not up to snuff on Smurfs. Sexless, no wonder they're happy and harmonious.

And congrts, Full Member
for EFT
have you voted today?

Holt on February 26, 2011, 12:24:52 pm
Thanks, I am not up to snuff on Smurfs. Sexless, no wonder they're happy and harmonious.

And congrts, Full Member

I read the comics when I was younger.

mellyrn on February 26, 2011, 06:56:06 pm
We are still waiting for the capable opponent of AnCap society to rear his head.  If the antagonists are always as incompetent as Chang the story will suffer.  I want to see AnCap defend themselves against a realistic formidable opponent.  In comic book terms I want to see a Doctor Doom or Lex Luthor not a Penguin or Riddler.

Bullshit.

This is a work of fiction.  Therefore whatever happens, a UW win, a Cererean win, or something entirely unexpected, it will occur because the author said so.  Therefore, if Ceres wins at all, no matter how, you can point to whatever combination of Cererean strengths and UW weaknesses apparently caused the win as evidence that the opponent was not "realistically formidable".

When you paint yourself into a corner, you've got a problem. 
When you paint someone else into a corner, he might as well leave bootmarks in your paint job.

If you really want a sufficiently-formidable opponent, set up a LARP.  You play the UW, and have some AnCapper play Ceres. 

And even then the results will say nothing about the military formidability of either the UW or the Cererean system, and everything about the relative formidability of you and whoever you're playing.

Holt on February 26, 2011, 07:23:15 pm
The problem is Mell that a good story requires a good villain and a good hero. To use the old term: "Garbage in, garbage out"

spudit on February 26, 2011, 07:55:31 pm
Maybe you gents can create a good bad guy and i am not kidding. Everytime someone asks, but what if something like this happens, it's a challenge and a hole to plug.

Some here say gold's value is illusionary so use it.

We have seen what happens when someone cheats at cards for instance. It has been explored. When Rhonda almost slapped that cad Carlos, Ed stopped it and we were shown how a bar fight might be stopped dead on Ceres. And the sticks and stones aspect of ZAP too.

OK. I'll start the thing and cut and paste this into the first entry on the worthy opponent thread.

Since the UW inherited Fort Knox along with the old USA so they have gold and ships to move it. So they back those fiat bills with gold, maybe they are special bills somehow like blue gold based Continentals just for export or flood the precious metals market. They do some kind of Goldfinger gold scam to reveal one of the many holes missed by the author.

See what I mean, I will start a thread just for that. Just to explore what a really smart bad guy might do. You guys have plenty of examples, use them.

Sandy might just use it.
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on February 26, 2011, 08:05:14 pm
OK, I did it and planted a seed, lets grow a Lex Luthor or a Blowfeld.
for EFT
have you voted today?

Plane on February 26, 2011, 09:37:13 pm
One of the best villans I remember was the "mule" of Asimovs foundation.

His mutated Psi ability made it hard top keep a secret from him and easy for him to manipulate minions.

What could you do against someone who was really reading your mind?

The "mule" could have the stupidest political and economic ideas , but would not care , he would make you behave his way or elese.

terry_freeman on February 26, 2011, 10:05:15 pm
Honestly I am not surprised by how this has turned out.
Disappointing as usual EFT.

Who is forcing you to stay?

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 11:24:07 am
The Mule would not work here.  He was a super powered individual.  This universe seems to want to stick to more realistic science based standards.

I would suggest someone like Stalin as an antagonist.  He was nobody's fool.  His enemies feared him for good reason.  He made mistakes and his system eventually fell to the West but he was a worthy adversary.

By the way I am not giving orders to Mr. Sandfort.  I would not if I could.  I don't even want to give suggestions. I just think the story would be better if the bad guys were not idiots.  Of course they still have to lose in the end.

Holt on February 27, 2011, 11:27:46 am
Stalin was kind of comical in how bad he was though. Although all things considered he may well be exactly what the author wants in a villain. He'd slot into the propaganda style of the comic very neatly.

spudit on February 27, 2011, 02:04:55 pm
Put up or shut up, fish or cut bait and all those other ways of saying, Just Do It (tm)
for EFT
have you voted today?

GlennWatson on February 27, 2011, 06:13:05 pm
Stalin was kind of comical in how bad he was though.>>>>

Yeah, he was hilarious.  His victims died laughing by the millions.