SandySandfort on March 16, 2011, 07:18:48 pm
Failure to note that the Valles Marineris lies between one and one's destination.

Yeah, you're right. Then it would the roller coaster all over again and you know who would start bitching and moaning.  ::)

AlpineBob on March 28, 2011, 07:27:50 am
I hadn't heard of it before, but I found the wiki on vernix caseosa to be quite interesting.
Admittedly wiki is a non-safe reference, but I'm not durious enough to dig around for medical refs.
Anyway, assuming no one is maliciously mucking it up or accidentally messing it up, I don't think it would really form the basis of a rejuv formula.  For one thing, it isn't generally a liquid: "In Latin vernix means varnish and caseosa means cheesy."
I heard an interview on NPR today with a fellow from a company developing a liquid oxy-carrier.  He claimed it carried 4 times the oxygen of a blood cell in one/thousandth the space.  Uses being investigated include intravenous into the brain in cases of blood-flow interuption to to injury, and combating bends (I think the method he discussed involved use of a hyperbaric chamber as opposed to pressurized one - the rationale being this method would only be used if insuffiecient pressure chamber space were available during a deep-sea accident retrieval).  He seemed very proud of a 90% survival rate using this method on animal tests. I wouldn't be so sanguine about a 10% fatality rate, but I digress...
My point is that this stuff seems a very viable start to a rejuv system, since he also claimed, as a side benefit, that the extra oxygen would help reduce wrinkles. 
I know it's a quibble; what you call the stuff isn't really important compared to the story effects, but I thought I'd mention it.

Plane on March 28, 2011, 11:04:22 am
  An injectable remedy for the bends would be very welcome to divers!

The Bends really hurt.

That stuff is likely to become a forbidden substance for athletes tho.

SandySandfort on March 28, 2011, 01:19:56 pm
I hadn't heard of it before, but I found the wiki on vernix caseosa to be quite interesting. I don't think it would really form the basis of a rejuv formula.  For one thing, it isn't generally a liquid: "In Latin vernix means varnish and caseosa means cheesy."

The rejuv fluid is "a synthetic form of vernix caseosa..." emphasis added. It just protects the skin and acts as a substrate to contain the millions of nanobots that do the actual work. However, you have my permission to mental replace it with amniotic fluid.  :)

I am just gratified to see that you looked up at all. I'm sure most readers didn't.

wdg3rd on March 28, 2011, 05:14:38 pm

I am just gratified to see that you looked up at all. I'm sure most readers didn't.

One or two were familiar with the term and didn't have to.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

quadibloc on March 28, 2011, 05:23:12 pm
I hadn't, but I was considering doing so eventually. However, I would have spelled it wrong. I was expecting that the nanobots themselves were synthetic worms - even if, not having looked it up, I didn't know they would be cheesy ones.

In other words, I'd have tried to look up vermix caseosa.

SandySandfort on March 28, 2011, 08:08:31 pm
In other words, I'd have tried to look up vermix caseosa.

Better than vermix casserole.  :D

happycrow on March 31, 2011, 08:21:45 am
My Hungarian relatives would find a way to make even that tasty.

::has images of little tiny vermix/blood-sausage fusion dishes, served with sauerkraut, mustard, and horseradish::

quadibloc on March 31, 2011, 08:24:59 am
My Hungarian relatives would find a way to make even that tasty.

::has images of little tiny vermix/blood-sausage fusion dishes, served with sauerkraut, mustard, and horseradish::
Klingons reflect aspects of several Earth cultures; I guess we can add one more to the list.

happycrow on April 01, 2011, 08:00:07 am
Explains the grumpiness -- 10 million people who are all up early in the morning, none of whom are "morning people..."

Scott on April 03, 2011, 06:11:35 pm
That sounds like my former commute from Riverside to Irvine when I was working for Interplay. <rimshot>

anything