!

Now can somebody please wake up Glenn.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:14:00 am by spudit »
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

wdg3rd on March 09, 2011, 11:30:18 am

Now can somebody please wake up Glenn.

Let's not.  Maybe he got bored enough to go away.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

GlennWatson on March 10, 2011, 05:01:29 pm
OK, here is what I bet happens.  Reggie changes his appearance into that of a young white man.  Babette changes into a young Black woman.  Both will be surprised.  Hilarity ensues. 

Pavitra on March 10, 2011, 05:09:57 pm
They still have gendered restrooms?

Brugle on March 10, 2011, 06:32:05 pm
OK, here is what I bet happens.  Reggie changes his appearance into that of a young white man.  Babette changes into a young Black woman.  Both will be surprised.  Hilarity ensues.  
Back when the original Star Trek aired, I thought it was lame that some people made a big deal about the "interracial kiss".  As far as I could tell, SF literature (even non-libertarian SF literature) had nothing as silly as racism (at least within the same species).  Decades later, on the internet (which is more libertarian than society as a whole), skin color is considered important?  That would severely disappoint.  (Skin color changes without much surprise would be OK, but I'd want something more.)

Perhaps one or both will change their sex.  (That would be a "health choice", right?)  I wouldn't want to spring that surprise on a lover, but maybe Reggie or Babbette would.  Hilarity is possible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:37:12 pm by Brugle »

SandySandfort on March 10, 2011, 07:03:02 pm
Decades later, on the internet (which is more libertarian than society as a whole), skin color is considered important?

Gee, I hope not, but I think prejudice--of all sorts--will be with us for long into the future. When I originally wrote the short story, WORLD CERES, I guess I personally visualized Reggie as a pale English white guy. However, there was no particular reason, other than the necessity to have some character in mind when I wrote. Scott suggested we make Reggie black. I thought that might be cool, so I agreed. Still, race was not really an issue even then. He's just a guy who happens to be black. I assumed that wouldn't be a problem for most people in the Belt, so that was that.

I have been giving some thought to a story that involves a whites-only bar, restaurant, club or the like, but ditto for an all black, all Lithuanian or all Hawaiian counterpart. I don't much care either way when someone wishes to discriminate on any damned basis they choose. I'll still hang with whomever I want. As one of my girlfriends, who is black, said, "That's their problem."

wdg3rd on March 10, 2011, 09:04:35 pm

I have been giving some thought to a story that involves a whites-only bar, restaurant, club or the like, but ditto for an all black, all Lithuanian or all Hawaiian counterpart. I don't much care either way when someone wishes to discriminate on any damned basis they choose. I'll still hang with whomever I want. As one of my girlfriends, who is black, said, "That's their problem."

Yup.  Owner of a venue who wants to cut his profits by restricting custom, well, it's his choice, his place and his (less) money.  Not a mistake I plan to make.  Though I won't go out of my way to attract "public servants".
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd@aol.com

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  --  Denis Diderot

SandySandfort on March 10, 2011, 10:47:12 pm
Yup.  Owner of a venue who wants to cut his profits by restricting custom, well, it's his choice, his place and his (less) money.  Not a mistake I plan to make.  Though I won't go out of my way to attract "public servants".

You know, there is a restaurant near an airport (forgot where) that will not serve TSA goons. No reason you shouldn't discriminate against the bad guys if you feel like it. It's not even against the law, since cops, TSA, FBI, BATF, etc. are not protected categories. Fuk 'em. Better yet, make 'em check their guns at the door.