spudit on February 08, 2011, 11:32:50 am
Me too

Hear me, Great Gawds of Ceres, The brothers left for Mars to turn in the stiff for a deposit, then what?
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

SandySandfort on February 08, 2011, 12:25:11 pm
Me too

Hear me, Great Gawds of Ceres, The brothers left for Mars to turn in the stiff for a deposit, then what?

Funny you should ask. Scott asked me that very question a week or so ago.

terry_freeman on February 08, 2011, 03:49:07 pm
I am dying to know what happened on Mars when they returned the stiff.

spudit on February 08, 2011, 09:24:46 pm
Small scale seasteading might work like this.

The two Jones brothers, Tommy L. and James E. escaped Terra with barely pocket change. After 2 years of pickup work and as much careful scrounging on Ceres they are ready to seastead.

The Crunchberry development company sells certainty, though their stated product is land. They have claimed and defended the claim to 100 square kilometers of Ceres' surface. They made sufficient improvements in the form of subsurface mapping and the laying out of grid plats to sell land. Showing no need for government to do this traditional task, having large reserves of lawyers, guns and money, the claims they sell are real.

The brothers Jones buy 40 hectares, about 100 acres. They have just a minimum of gear, an old hydrogen tank rigged as a habitat, a collapsible dome with anchors, some homemade reflectors, piping and the cerian equivalent of a snowmobile to drag it all.

They study the 3D map and chose a spot with what looks to the scanners like a frozen ammonia drift not too far down in the water ice. they set up the dome one day and the collectors that night. They have already carved out storage caverns in pure water ice to freeze the ammonia and CO2.

Come dawn the dome pressurizes as gasses boil off, the dome catches and contains the gases long enough for a simple still sort of device  to process them. Every decca day, they drag sleds of ammonia and dry ice  into the nearest settlement during the 4 hour night. It keeps the money flowing.

Every night they walk the floor of the deepening hole looking for treasures. It is running deeper and south along the ammonia vein. Luckily, 30 days along they find a cubic meter lump of metal. Analysis shows it is denser than nickel iron, almost 3% gold and 2% platinum and palladium. They aren't rich yet but their thin cushion looks cushier. 

And there we leave them.

for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on February 16, 2011, 11:54:38 pm
Cool link Gemcat, thanks

Another way to seastead. Get or make a clear dome or other shape, anchor well on a chunk of open ice. Pump heat into it. Let the gasses and water melt, sell or store the gasses and keep the water. Make a lake of cold water under the dome. If you do it right a cavern will form under the ice as the frozen gasses go away, the soil like stuff sinks and the water remains.

Lots of fish like cold water and the start up won't be much. For that matter replace the dome with an insulated well head for directing concentrated light in and tapping the boiled off gas. Costs, not much, some foil solar collectors, tanks and plumbing.

The ice and water will reach equilibrium if the water is kept cold enough. That's a mighty big heat sink there. But gasses might boil and hurt the fish though.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:04:53 pm by spudit »
for EFT
have you voted today?

spudit on June 27, 2011, 06:24:59 pm
Spudit is alive and well. I got my boat launched and it is eating up my life, also maybe the old laptop. Hope all are well.
for EFT
have you voted today?