spudit on January 21, 2011, 05:06:54 pm
No contagious diseases please, see my earlier post on the issues with flame throwers on submarines. Let's say nothing that hurts more than one person. Hey how about a guided anti solar plexus targeted bean bag, or for half the population a target a bit further south.  Kinder to send a bullet.
Vote Early and Vote Often
for EFT
have you voted today?

J Thomas on January 21, 2011, 06:38:13 pm
No contagious diseases please, see my earlier post on the issues with flame throwers on submarines. Let's say nothing that hurts more than one person.

Sure. I said anthrax because it was the first real scary name I thought of. Ideally you might use something that's normally spread by arthropods. Somebody catches it and they don't spread it unless there are bedbugs or fleas or in the ideal case whatever specific arthropod does it.

Hey how about a guided anti solar plexus targeted bean bag, or for half the population a target a bit further south.  Kinder to send a bullet.

That's an improvement. Of course, it makes sense then to wear clothing with optical illusion prints that would tend to fool a beanbag. Or radar scattering, or whatever will fool whatever targeting it uses. The designs might likely become fashionable.

Or if you can get a self-aiming beanbag, then maybe you could also get a self-launching beanbag which will aim itself at beanbags aimed at you. You could maybe carry its launcher strapped low on your chest, right over your solar plexus.

And if you think you might get into trouble, you could wear a very strong cup.

But for myself, when I think there's much chance of trouble, I notice whether I have an equally strong reason to show up for it. Unless I have cause, instead of specially getting ready for a fight I go somewhere else.

Ensign Pulver on January 23, 2011, 03:53:20 pm
The 106mm RR counted revolutions of the round AFTER leaving the muzzle.  (Setting flechette rounds at "10" was interesting in ambush conditions.)  A high velocity 8mm round might prove to be a crowd pleaser.  Of course, 'The Responsible Sov' would carry a patch kit, for misses. 
To combat spinning, a move combining draw to shoulder and crouch would make a smaller target and center the discharge.  t would 'just' take some engineering to give a cone of safety in the back-blast area. 

dough560 on March 19, 2011, 01:07:42 am
Let's keep it simple.   Bullet and caliber selection would depend on use requirements.  Solid construction or prefragmented/frangible.  Expanding or non-expanding.  Electrically ignited, caseless cartridge?  Full bore size or special purpose sabot-ed  sub-munition?  Launcher could could function as an automatic, semiautomatic, revolver or any combination thereof.  The launcher could be constructed of aluminum, steel, titanium and /or ceramics.)  Light, sound and recoil suppressing technologies could be incorporated.  Holographic and mechanical sights co-witnessed with a lazar designator and a white light source.

Think of it as the ultimate grandson of today's 1911 carry-comp equipped with a Lazar Max guide-rod and a Doctor Optic or Leupold Reflex Sight, with a white light attached to the equipment rail.

Add a knife, collapsible baton and a spray irritant.

UncleRice on March 20, 2011, 10:58:53 am
How about a shaped charge with a high mass gelatinous projectile? The shaped charge punches the gelatinous projectile through body armour and then the projectile splatters radically reducing its penetration power. As far as the hull penetration risk goes, I'm fairly certain the hull on the station would need to be multi-layered and thick just to be a reliable barrier against the high velocity dust it would be buffeted with. It should be plenty to out perform any usable body armour.

As far as drugged darts go, I recommend THC. It's nearly impossible to overdose on.
Stupid criminals put on a mask and rob people with a gun.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

Plane on March 20, 2011, 05:31:10 pm
As far as drugged darts go, I recommend THC. It's nearly impossible to overdose on.

If you shot someone with a high tolerance , he might ask you for another shot.

spudit on March 20, 2011, 05:45:24 pm
I recall some corny old sci fi flick where the alien's fangs or stinger injected victims with ethanol, on it's planet a toxin. He killed the town drunk that way by doubling his existing blood level but the plucky teenagers who saved the day just got silly.

Still as a harmless trank, THC ain't bad.

Thank you sir may I have another.
for EFT
have you voted today?

UncleRice on March 21, 2011, 10:05:23 am

Funny, yes, but I suspect that if you shoot them up with enough to knock out a large adult, they would still end up mellow enough to stop being a real threat. You could probably still accidentally hit a small child with said dart and not kill the kid as it's so hard to OD on the stuff.
Smart criminals put on a suit, call themselves politicians, and rob people with writ of law.

J Thomas on March 21, 2011, 10:22:16 am

Funny, yes, but I suspect that if you shoot them up with enough to knock out a large adult, they would still end up mellow enough to stop being a real threat. You could probably still accidentally hit a small child with said dart and not kill the kid as it's so hard to OD on the stuff.

In that case, why not instead use a smoke bomb? When you see a threat developing, set off the bomb and everybody in the room gets mellow. Sort them out later.

And if somebody is wearing filters because he wants to threaten violence and he doesn't want to get mellow? How will that look under arbitration? "I wanted to kill him and I didn't want anybody to stop me. I didn't want arbitration, I wanted him dead." Maybe he could come up with another reason for it, but that one wouldn't sound real good in my court.

spudit on March 21, 2011, 10:55:32 am
I stick to my answer, something like a flare gun with little recoil or mass on the shooting end and nastiness on the other.
for EFT
have you voted today?

J Thomas on March 21, 2011, 01:27:15 pm
I stick to my answer, something like a flare gun with little recoil or mass on the shooting end and nastiness on the other.

If people used something like a bulb of napalm on the nasty end, then other people's answers could stick to you.  ;)

UncleRice on March 21, 2011, 06:05:15 pm

In that case, why not instead use a smoke bomb? When you see a threat developing, set off the bomb and everybody in the room gets mellow. Sort them out later.

And if somebody is wearing filters because he wants to threaten violence and he doesn't want to get mellow? How will that look under arbitration? "I wanted to kill him and I didn't want anybody to stop me. I didn't want arbitration, I wanted him dead." Maybe he could come up with another reason for it, but that one wouldn't sound real good in my court.

Non- lethal chemical weapons? I would green light that, though most times I suggest to people that the military could flood urban combat zones with THC and sort out the bad guys after the cloud settles they get funny on me.

J Thomas on March 21, 2011, 06:09:31 pm

Non- lethal chemical weapons? I would green light that, though most times I suggest to people that the military could flood urban combat zones with THC and sort out the bad guys after the cloud settles they get funny on me.

I read about a time when some navy ships had trouble keeping enough CO2 fire extinguishers in stock. Because it was such an easy way to cool down a six-pack of beer.

They might be concerned about something vaguely similar.

dough560 on April 21, 2011, 04:09:37 am
In the 1980's International Practical Shooters Confederation (IPSC) Shooters began going to heavier and heavier handguns.  They found the heavier guns aided control when a string of fire was limited to a single target.  But when multiple targets were engaged the movement of the heavier gun was harder to stop and start.  The extra weight caused targets to be missed due to over-swing.  This sparked the development of compensators and other weight reduction technologies.  Expanded concealed and open carry laws also spurred the development of controllable, lightweight, full power handguns.  Today, Aluminum,  Scandium, Titanium and Polymers are used to build lightweight guns.

Military interest resulted in practical ceramic barrels which are currently limited to military uses. These barrels are allegedly durable enough to last for 100,000 rounds and weigh approximately half what a steel barrel with the same profile would weigh.  The ceramic barrels also allow the development of excited plasma sustained burn ignition systems.

In current technology, a bullet is slowing down by the time it exits the barrel.  With an excited plasma system the bullet is being accelerated all the way down the barrel.  Allegedly this system does not increase recoil and spreads out the recoil pulse, allowing easier firearm management by the shooter.

Using the materials and technologies I've outlined above and incorporate sound suppression technologies.  It would be possible to build a lightweight firearm, shooting case-less ammunition, quietly with little or no recoil.  Additionally white light, Lazar and electronic sights could be incorporated.